PDA

View Full Version : Time for New Unis for MU?

CaribouJim
05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
I think so - we are going on six years or thereabouts with basically the same style unis. The recent ESPN doc "Untucked" illustrated Marquette's cutting edge style - for years before and after the untucked versions were introduced. For over a decade, MU changed their unis every other year and typically at mid-season which added to the cool factor.

Overall, I like the present unis, especially the gold versions (not so much the white), but I'd rather make a switch too early than too late and I think it is precariously getting close to too late (if a uniform change can be considered "precarious").

I'm not proposing new unis that resemble some of the new stuff out there from some teams the last few years, but something that will capture the Marquette coolness of the past.

If we haven't heard anything by now, I assume we won't be seeing new ones this coming year and I know Wojo has his plate full as it is, but I thought with a new coach it would have been a nice touch to help usher in the new era with new unis.

In addition, I'd like to see throwback unis included in the conversation as well for selected Big East games - for example, MU wears their 1970 NIT unis at St. John's (the team MU beat) and SJU wears their 1970 version unis. I would like to see ALL the Big East teams have throwback unis for selected games as well - anything to get more attention on SportsCenter, Fox Sports Live etc. Every little bit helps.

Here is a column on Illinois' new football and basketball uniforms from the Chicago Tribune last month:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-04-17/sports/ct-illinois-football-spt-0418-20140418_1_new-uniforms-state-farm-center-football-coach-tim-beckman

Goose85
05-12-2014, 04:27 PM
That is a great idea Caribou, instead of some of this new glow in the dark crap teams are wearing, do like many a pro sport does and have teams wear throwbacks.

I'd love to see the bumble bees, or the untucked for a game.

JohnnyRev
05-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Isn't the untucked now against the uniform rules?

CaribouJim
05-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Isn't the untucked now against the uniform rules?

I believe so, but wouldn't hurt to ask for a one game waiver if that is the case. MU may have done that in '92 when MU had a celebration for the 15 year anniversary of the '77 championship. They wore a version of the '77 unis against Penny Hardaway and Memphis State - a win BTW.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-13-2014, 08:08 AM
The untucked is illegal, I believe the bumblebees are as well. One idea I had was a pseudo-untucked jersey. Have a line of trim midway down the shorts with "Marquette" stitched at the top of the shorts. Would give the illusion of being untucked while not actually being untucked.

Nukem2
05-13-2014, 09:06 AM
The untucked is illegal, I believe the bumblebees are as well. One idea I had was a pseudo-untucked jersey. Have a line of trim midway down the shorts with "Marquette" stitched at the top of the shorts. Would give the illusion of being untucked while not actually being untucked.
Dunno. With the baggy pants they wear these days, that might not be very aesthetic...?

Goose85
05-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Has MU ever tried to get a waiver to wear them (untucked or bumble bees) for one game?
I'd think the NCAA would consider a one game waiver, just not a full season of the uniforms.

wiscwarrior
05-13-2014, 01:09 PM
Has MU ever tried to get a waiver to wear them (untucked or bumble bees) for one game?
I'd think the NCAA would consider a one game waiver, just not a full season of the uniforms.

I actually think that, if revisited, at least the bumble bee uniform would be legalized. Especially with the neon uniforms and distracting court designs allowed now.

CaribouJim
05-13-2014, 02:07 PM
I actually think that, if revisited, at least the bumble bee uniform would be legalized. Especially with the neon uniforms and distracting court designs allowed now.

I think that undoubtedly would be the case and at a minimum the untucked versions could get a one game waiver of some sort - I assume they did in '92 as they were already illegal at that time IIRC.

The Reptile
05-14-2014, 04:36 PM
If we're going to make a change to the uniforms, which I agree are still really cool compared to a lot of the crap other schools wear (just an opinion), then let's do it right and open it up to social media, generate interest in this. Why not have a special draw to have the social media winner go up against a player as a way to connect it back to the Al era when Bo Ellis designed our uniforms one year. Let the winner work with Nike on the final product.

CaribouJim
05-15-2014, 12:22 PM
If we're going to make a change to the uniforms, which I agree are still really cool compared to a lot of the crap other schools wear (just an opinion), then let's do it right and open it up to social media, generate interest in this. Why not have a special draw to have the social media winner go up against a player as a way to connect it back to the Al era when Bo Ellis designed our uniforms one year. Let the winner work with Nike on the final product.

I agree to a concept like that, especially the social media angle.

BLT
05-16-2014, 06:22 AM
Do we know for sure the bumble bees are still outlawed? Essentially MU soccer wears them, so I don't know how they can be illegal in one sport and not the other, but with the NCAA, give me some cream cheese with that bagel. Also agree, how can nuclear lime green be legal but a tuck out still be illegal? The NCAA uni rules against MU were racist back then and are still on the books like Jim Crow laws were.