View Full Version : FS1 inks deal with MLS

MU/Panther
05-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Any FS1 update is a Marquette topic.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/05/12/Media/MLS-TV.aspx

MU/Panther
05-12-2014, 11:19 AM
FOX SPORTS MEDIA GROUP

■ Minimum of 34 regular-season games, on an exclusive basis, on Sundays at 7 p.m. ET, primarily on Fox Sports 1.
■ Will share with ESPN MLS Cup playoff matches outside of two Univision games.
■ Will alternate with ESPN in airing MLS Cup and the AT&T MLS All-Star Game each year.
■ Will share with ESPN all U.S. Soccer matches.
■ Digital rights across all platforms and devices for the games it televises.
■ Opportunity for Fox Sports Radio to broadcast MLS matches.

The Reptile
05-12-2014, 11:57 AM
This is similar to baseball in that it runs outside of our season. It should get them more eyeballs since the league is on the rise and planning an expansion to the southeast/adding another team in NYC. Any expansion of the platform to promote the BE can only be seen as a positive.

CaribouJim
05-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Who is/was that MLS benefactor that pretty much kept the league afloat in its infancy? I hope he has something worked out that returns the favor - MLS is on a nice trajectory.

I drove by the Fire's Toyota Park last week and have been to a couple games there over the years - nice enough facility, but really a crappy location - a mom & pop bar is the only place within walking distance for pre and post match entertainment.

CaribouJim
05-12-2014, 12:06 PM
This is similar to baseball in that it runs outside of our season. It should get them more eyeballs since the league is on the rise and planning an expansion to the southeast/adding another team in NYC. Any expansion of the platform to promote the BE can only be seen as a positive.

I really hope the Big 10 goes a similar route as well.

warriorfan4life
05-12-2014, 12:12 PM
I still think that FS1 missed a big opportunity by not getting rights to the English Premier League, but have to admit that NBC/NBC Sports Network have done a wonderful job in their coverage here in the States (and I would be ambivalent about FS1 getting the rights next time because of the awesome job NBC did). With the EPL and NHL with the NBC family, and the Big East with FS1, I am tuning into the Mouse family of networks less and less these days.

CaribouJim
05-12-2014, 01:30 PM
I still think that FS1 missed a big opportunity by not getting rights to the English Premier League, but have to admit that NBC/NBC Sports Network have done a wonderful job in their coverage here in the States (and I would be ambivalent about FS1 getting the rights next time because of the awesome job NBC did). With the EPL and NHL with the NBC family, and the Big East with FS1, I am tuning into the Mouse family of networks less and less these days.

NBC had wall-to-wall EPL coverage this weekend over multiple channels - when channel surfing over the weekend, seemingly every other station had an EPL game on.

TheSultan
05-12-2014, 01:34 PM
NBC had wall-to-wall EPL coverage this weekend over multiple channels - when channel surfing over the weekend, seemingly every other station had an EPL game on.

Fox did the same thing the past couple of years prior to this one. Since the EPL ends with all games kicking off at the same time, it is actually pretty cool.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Losing EPL from FSC was a bit of a blast to the new network, but I agree that NBC Sports has done a great job. MLS is still a nice addition to the network. The league and sport is starting to gain traction, and while it's still a bit of a niche market, soccer fans no longer look down at MLS quite as much as they used to. It's a legitimate league that is drawing some serious talent. It will never compete with the top-tier leagues in Europe, but it could become a second-tier league, on par with the Portugals and Hollands of the world.

MU/Panther
05-12-2014, 02:49 PM
I think the key is for ESPN and FS1 is a SET schedule. When you think Thursday night in the NBA, you always think TNT.