PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted sign for a player

TulsaWarrior
05-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Its clear Marquette is looking closely and selectively at the transfer wire hoping to find immediate help to bolster a thin front court. When you take into account division one players and JUCO players the list has hundreds of names. Each athlete has a different career story. Historically the impact of transfers on their new team has been as varied as their background.

When Robert Jackson transferred to Marquette he sat a year and had one year to play. Some fans were skeptical, even describing the Milwaukee native as a “cancer” being introduced into the program. Those fans were wrong and the strong argument could be made that Marquette wouldn’t have made it to the Final Four of the NCAA Tournament without him.

Marquette’s program is looking for immediate help this spring because of the coaching transition. Coach Wojo has done well to secure the players already on campus, as well as getting 6-5, Sandy Cohen to re-commit and bringing in veteran point guard Matt Carlino. After a high school romance with Tom Crean, a nightmare semester at UCLA, Carlino had a consistent if not spectacular career at BYU. Carlino gives Marquette a veteran playmaker/shooter with three years of post season tournament experience. Wojo is also getting a player who wants a new start and a chance to prove he can be a difference maker.

There’s one more piece of the puzzle that can make the 2014-15 season more than a rebuilding year. Darius Leonard graduates from Campbell University this weekend. After Mother’s Day weekend he heads to Milwaukee to consider a post graduate year with the Golden Eagles.

The graduate of Kestrel Heights High School in Durham, North Carolina has already spent one year at Kent State and three at Campbell. In 2009-10, Leonard averaged nearly 17 points and 11 rebounds and led his high school team to a 37-7 record. Despite that he was not considered an elite recruit. Since high school he has shown marked improvement filling out to 6-9 and 235 pounds. Playing for three different head coaches in his college career and getting mixed signals didn’t give him the chance to get consistent direction.

Two years ago under Coach Robbie Laing he never shot from three point territory. Laing was fired and Richmond assistant Kevin McGeehan took over the Campbell program. Leonard was told to fire away. He averaged 38 percent from long range – making five, three pointers in one half. Campbell continued to struggle as the season came to an end and Leonard’s final numbers didn’t show the promise of earlier in the season.

One way or another Leonard will get a new start either with Marquette or a list of other suitors. Some Golden Eagles fans are asking if a player from a lower division one program, one who was ranked 35th player in North Carolina high school graduating class can make a difference. Leonard is clearly a late bloomer from a basketball family. His cousin, Donald Williams was the MVP of the 1993 Final Four, North Carolina NCAA Championship team and his mom was an outstanding player in her own right.

With Marquette’s woefully thin front court there’s a playing time opportunity for a potential transfer an opportunity that few if any high level D1 schools can offer. With Marquette’s group of coaches with Raleigh/Durham connections that could be a life long benefit to an athlete like Leonard.

The help wanted sign is out for Leonard or another transfer with his own unique story.

MulliganMusings
05-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Well stated Tulsa.

Nukem2
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
Well stated Tulsa.
Yep, need some help on the front line. Will be very shorthanded on the front line, especially for those first 9 or 10 NC games. Even then, Luke will still have a "break-in" period of some duration.

TheSultan
05-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Yep, need some help on the front line. Will be very shorthanded on the front line, especially for those first 9 or 10 NC games. Even then, Luke will still have a "break-in" period of some duration.

And even then, we really have no idea how Luke will perform even when eligible.

Nukem2
05-09-2014, 09:14 AM
And even then, we really have no idea how Luke will perform even when eligible.That's why I used the words "of some duration". Who knows how long or how well that might be or turn out.....

Markedman
05-09-2014, 10:31 AM
I like the post but didn’t everybody already know this? I mean it doesn’t take a genius to figure out we could use more front court help….

Nukem2
05-09-2014, 10:35 AM
I like the post but didn’t everybody already know this? I mean it doesn’t take a genius to figure out we could use more front court help….Sure, but it is the elephant in the room. A couple of fouls on Steve or a tweaked ankle puts Juan as our "5". Its obviously the major topic of interest & concern at this juncture. Will be interesting to see what happens (or, does not happen).

Goose85
05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Ok, let's say we don't land one. At some point does Anderson become an option?

kneelb4zerg
05-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Ok, let's say we don't land one. At some point does Anderson become an option?

If we don't land one, I say we forfeit all games until Luke is eligible.

TulsaWarrior
05-09-2014, 11:11 AM
This is the elephant in the room between having a rebuilding year and a team with a solid chance at an NCAA berth. Marquette doesn't need an all conference big man -- although it would be nice. The one or two year player doesn't tie up a scholarship. That means immediate eligible big man transfer from a D1 school (those options are limited), a JUCO or a player beginning released from a NLI. Of that grouping there are more JUCO candidates than transfers. Some have voiced skepticism of Leonard. Watching the video that's out there and seeing his numbers against NC State this past season I'd say he looks like the best option I'm aware of among potential late recruits.

Wojo, Phelps, Carrawell and Gainey between them have more than 40 years experience living in Raleigh/Durham. With a network like that they should have a good read on this player's potential -- more so than anyone else out there. To me this looks like a unique playing opportunity for this transfer and for Marquette.

The painful lesson of the past season was you have to have all the parts to have a successful team. The missing part for the 2014-15 season is a big man who at the very least can provide good minutes. The whole is greater than individual parts. Leonard would have a surrounding cast that would enhance what he brings to the table.

Markedman
05-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Clearly the staff wants him......the problem is he has other options and may choose one of them for a variety of reasons.

I think you are preaching to the choir here.

TulsaWarrior
05-09-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm really just talking Marquette basketball and arguing the Golden Eagle's point of view on the recruiting effort. It should be interesting to see how it plays out. Otherwise this is a slow time for fans so we might as well talk about this.

Nukem2
05-09-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm really just talking Marquette basketball and arguing the Golden Eagle's point of view on the recruiting effort. It should be interesting to see how it plays out. Otherwise this is a slow time for fans so we might as well talk about this.Yup, not much else to talk about right now as Wojo and his staff re-structure the program.

Phantom Warrior
05-09-2014, 03:57 PM
If we don't add a player, Juan will have to do. Hey, we've had at various times the past several years Lazar, Wes, Jimmy, and Jae as our primary post defender. Think back to the '08-'09 team. Burke played around 19 mpg. When he wasn't in, our line up was Lazar, Jimmy (sixth man), Jerel, Wes, and DJ. Lazar or Wesley played the 5 on defense. Granted all of these guys - Lazar, Wes, Jae, and Jimmy - were much better offensive players than Juan, but I think Juan will do a decent job if he is thrust in that role at times.

That being said, if you want to think about something really kind of scary, imagine if Luke had not transferred to MU. As the saying goes, "Oy vey!"

Nukem2
05-09-2014, 04:26 PM
If we don't add a player, Juan will have to do. Hey, we've had at various times the past several years Lazar, Wes, Jimmy, and Jae as our primary post defender. Think back to the '08-'09 team. Burke played around 19 mpg. When he wasn't in, our line up was Lazar, Jimmy (sixth man), Jerel, Wes, and DJ. Lazar or Wesley played the 5 on defense. Granted all of these guys - Lazar, Wes, Jae, and Jimmy - were much better offensive players than Juan, but I think Juan will do a decent job if he is thrust in that role at times.

That being said, if you want to think about something really kind of scary, imagine if Luke had not transferred to MU. As the saying goes, "Oy vey!"
Juan simply is not nearly as strong as Lazar or Jimmy or Jae. Playing the 5 will be very very difficult against most high major opponents. If it has to be, so be it; but, Wojo does need to exhaust all avenues to put MU in the best position possible to win games.In the meantime, knock on wood, hope Steve can stay healthy and out of foul trouble.

The Reptile
05-10-2014, 12:03 PM
You can't teach 6'9" 235. And you can't use 5 fouls from a vacant scholarship. No damage done if he comes to the program.