PDA

View Full Version : MU more desireable than UW?

IWB
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
According to this graphic, which was based on applications to the schools, MU is the preferred school in Wisconsin....

http://totalfratmove.com/this-map-shows-the-most-desirable-colleges-per-state/

TheSultan
05-06-2014, 02:11 PM
But Madison gets more applications than Marquette. 28,000 v. 23,000 last year. So they have bad information.

Goose85
05-06-2014, 02:24 PM
But Madison gets more applications than Marquette. 28,000 v. 23,000 last year. So they have bad information.

I am surprised it is that close. Madison had a freshman class of 6,279 students for 2014. MU's total undergrad enrollment is around 8,000.

TheSultan
05-06-2014, 02:26 PM
It costs money to apply to UW. MU is free with the common application.

MU/Panther
05-06-2014, 02:38 PM
It a cool map! I put it on my background settings of my computer. On Marquette!

mufansince72
05-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Exactly!

Marquette
05-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Sultan and mufansince72 - maybe you guys should just start posting on Badgernation.

MU88
05-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Well, some sites list the number of applications at UW at 21,342.

IWB
05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
So based on Sultan's numbers.....
If 28,000 apply for 6,279 spots at Wisconsin, only 22.4% get accepted.
If 23,000 apply for 1,989 spots at Marquette, only 8.64% get accepted.

Based on that, it is much harder to get into MU as they only accept 8.6% of those who apply vs 22.4% at Wisconsin.

MUMac
05-06-2014, 03:41 PM

Based on that, it is much harder to get into MU as they only accept 8.6% of those who apply vs 22.4% at Wisconsin.

Not necessarily accepted, but matriculate. I am not certain what the acceptance rate is for either, as some are wait listed and still make it in when some that were accepted matriculate elsewhere.

I am surprised, even with the common application, that Marquette's applications are that high.

IWB
05-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Good point.

When it comes to wait listing I always point to our former babysitter. She applied to three schools for engineering. MU, UW & Purdue. Was immediately accepted to UW & Purdue, was wait-listed at MU and was finally got in a month later.

CaribouJim
05-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Is the MU application free now? I get those alumni coupon things, or at least I used to, that can be used for family and friends to send in application at no cost. Did they recently change that and everyone can now fill out an application at no charge?

TheSultan
05-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Is the MU application free now? I get those alumni coupon things, or at least I used to, that can be used for family and friends to send in application at no cost. Did they recently change that and everyone can now fill out an application at no charge?

Yes... but only through the common application. (At least that was the case when my son applied.)

TheSultan
05-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Good point.

When it comes to wait listing I always point to our former babysitter. She applied to three schools for engineering. MU, UW & Purdue. Was immediately accepted to UW & Purdue, was wait-listed at MU and was finally got in a month later.

That might not be an apples to apples comparison though. I believe UW and Purdue will admit you to the University, and place you into some type of pre-engineering program, but not directly to the College of Engineering. So those schools will accept realizing that not everyone will eventually go to that college, but will settle in elsewhere

Marquette admits freshmen right to the College of Engineering so they have to wait to see how many accept their admission before going into their wait-list.

Gato78
05-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Sultan is correct. A nephew is at UW in the pre-engineering program right now. But that is the beauty of MU--whether nursing, engineering, physician's assistant or physical therapy programs, students are admitted when they apply and are accepted, not after they pass the prerequisites.

MU Viking
05-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Marquette admits about 15k students to get those 2000, FWIW.

IWB
05-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Not helping Vike. :)

79warrior
05-06-2014, 07:59 PM

The common app is a vehicle that private schools use to cut down on the number of individual apps students have to fill out. Students still pay a fee to each school they are applying too using the common app.

79warrior
05-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Marquette is nowhere close to an 8% acceptance rate. That is Stanford territory.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Marquette is nowhere close to an 8% acceptance rate. That is Stanford territory.

Guessing there's a difference between acceptance and admittance rates. Probably some people that get accepted and never attend MU.

Nukem2
05-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Guessing there's a difference between acceptance and admittance rates. Probably some people that get accepted and never attend MU.
Guess that I would call it acceptance rate and actual enrollment. The admittance term is rather misleading...?

IWB
05-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Wrong word with accepted - meant 8% of those that apply end up at MU, but stating it the way I did, my argument was blown out of the water.

TheSultan
05-07-2014, 07:46 AM
The common app is a vehicle that private schools use to cut down on the number of individual apps students have to fill out. Students still pay a fee to each school they are applying too using the common app.

Right, but I am pretty sure Marquette doesn't charge such a fee.

MUMac
05-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Right, but I am pretty sure Marquette doesn't charge such a fee.

http://www.marquette.edu/oie/prospective-students/apply.shtml Pertinent paragraph:

"Step 2: Application Fee

Pay the $40 (USD) application fee by credit card through the online application or pay by bank check. Bank checks must be sent with the Application Fee Payment Form. Alternatively, you can send in the Alumni Fee Waiver instead of the required fee if you know a Marquette alumnus, or complete the common application, which does not require an application fee."

In the past, I have had friends ask me to sign the alumni fee waiver for their child. The Common Application was not as widely used back then.

Djgoldnboy
05-07-2014, 07:57 AM

Scary thought to think of the group of clowns that I hung with at MU, along with myself, where the 10% of the people that applied, haha.

TheSultan
05-07-2014, 07:59 AM
http://www.marquette.edu/oie/prospective-students/apply.shtml Pertinent paragraph:

"Step 2: Application Fee

Pay the $40 (USD) application fee by credit card through the online application or pay by bank check. Bank checks must be sent with the Application Fee Payment Form. Alternatively, you can send in the Alumni Fee Waiver instead of the required fee if you know a Marquette alumnus, or complete the common application, which does not require an application fee."

In the past, I have had friends ask me to sign the alumni fee waiver for their child. The Common Application was not as widely used back then.

Whew....so my memory of six years ago was correct!

TheSultan
05-07-2014, 08:04 AM

I have a friend who makes a living as a consultant to private schools to help them develop models for acceptance, admittance, and the necessary tuition discounting to achieve the most revenue possible at a certain admittance level.

It is a very complex model for a number of these schools. For instance, some schools are better off with a higher "list" price, but heavier discounting because it denotes an idea of quality in the eyes of many. For others, a lower list price, but lighter discounting is better because it looks more like a bargain.

ziggysfryboy
05-07-2014, 09:48 AM
That might not be an apples to apples comparison though. I believe UW and Purdue will admit you to the University, and place you into some type of pre-engineering program, but not directly to the College of Engineering. So those schools will accept realizing that not everyone will eventually go to that college, but will settle in elsewhere

Marquette admits freshmen right to the College of Engineering so they have to wait to see how many accept their admission before going into their wait-list.

MUs biz school is direct admit too, UW is not.