PDA

View Full Version : Possibility

Phantom Warrior
05-04-2014, 11:55 PM
It occurred to me earlier today that two years from now we could see a line up at various times of Duane, Nick, Sandy, Deonte, and Luke - five state kids on the court at the same time. (This doesn't even include possibly Heldt and/or Ellenson and/or Stone and/or even Pritzl.

I've watched MU for more than 50 years, and I can not remember ever seeing five state of Wisconsin kids on the court at the same time for MU.
Can anybody recall any time when there were five Warriors from the state on the court at the same time?

Anyway, I think it could definitely happen two years from now, even with just the guys already in the program (Fischer, Burton, Duane), joining the program next year (Cohen), or who have already committed from the Class of 2015 (Noskowiak). Pretty neat.

DCwarrior
05-05-2014, 07:56 AM
I can think of 4 back in the O'Neil days (Logterman, Key, Maclvaine, Shannon Smith), but not 5.

Goose85
05-05-2014, 08:39 AM
That would be awesome. There hasn't been very many starters on MU and Wisconsin from the state, and certainly not at the same time. That has been changing and I'm sure with it will be more familiarity among the players and even more intense games.

TheSultan
05-05-2014, 08:46 AM
I can think of 4 back in the O'Neil days (Logterman, Key, Maclvaine, Shannon Smith), but not 5.

Craig Aamot may have been on the floor with those guys once or twice. :p

TheSultan
05-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Oh and BTW, trying to figure out where Aamot is now, lead me to this. This is pretty cool.

http://www.music.txstate.edu/facultystaff/bios/aamot.html

Mark Miller
05-05-2014, 09:23 AM
1986-87 season ... Mike Flory (Rhinelander), Tony Smith (Tosa East), Pat Foley (MUHS), Kevin Johnson (Milw. Madison), John Ellenson (Menomonie).

1987-88 ... Smith, Ellenson, Foley, Flory, Trevor Powell (Milwaukee Washington), Charles Luter (Northwestern Prep).

Phantom Warrior
05-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Wow. Did you know that without having to look it up? Color me impressed.

In '86-'87 I know Flory,Smith, and Johnson all played major minutes. Did Foley see the court much? Ellenson?

In '86-'87 same question about Foley. I know Powell started as a frosh, but what about Luter? All I remember is that horrible leg injury that ruined his career. If memory serves, he did not play much at all until his senior year, and even then it minutes were limited, though my memory may be way off on this.

Mark Miller
05-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Actually, Foley played a bit in 1986-87 as did Ellenson. Not major minutes, but enough to be on the floor with the other state guys.

Foley played even more in 1987-88 and Luter played major minutes as a frosh before injuring his leg. I remember he had a big game against Loyola-Marymount at the Milwaukee Arena. Remember attending that game. Luter had a promising career, but was just so frail.

TulsaWarrior
05-05-2014, 09:48 AM
I remember watching Luter in the old gym. Super skinny, very athletic. If he could have stayed healthy his upside would have had an impact on Marquette's fortunes.

Nukem2
05-05-2014, 10:01 AM
I remember watching Luter in the old gym. Super skinny, very athletic. If he could have stayed healthy his upside would have had an impact on Marquette's fortunes.
Yes, Charles was a terrific athlete with a great outside shot. His horrific knee injury really set MU ( and, Dukiet ) way back.

MU/Panther
05-05-2014, 10:49 AM
It occurred to me earlier today that two years from now we could see a line up at various times of Duane, Nick, Sandy, Deonte, and Luke - five state kids on the court at the same time. (This doesn't even include possibly Heldt and/or Ellenson and/or Stone and/or even Pritzl.

I've watched MU for more than 50 years, and I can not remember ever seeing five state of Wisconsin kids on the court at the same time for MU.
Can anybody recall any time when there were five Warriors from the state on the court at the same time?

I guess Marquette is Wisconsin's team! ;);)

MUMac
05-05-2014, 11:21 AM
I recall one year when MU played UW in Madison (December of 2003, I believe) that there were 8 starters and 9 on the court at one time from the state. Diener, Novak, Merrit and Sanders from MU. Harris, Wilkinson, Wade (Boo) and Owens started for UW and Nixon or Hanson played for Tucker with those 4 and the 4 MU players, if I recall correctly. Not certain of the latter, but I thought that point had been made in the paper following the game.

CaribouJim
05-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I recall one year when MU played UW in Madison (December of 2003, I believe) that there were 8 starters and 9 on the court at one time from the state. Diener, Novak, Merrit and Sanders from MU. Harris, Wilkinson, Wade (Boo) and Owens started for UW and Nixon or Hanson played for Tucker with those 4 and the 4 MU players, if I recall correctly. Not certain of the latter, but I thought that point had been made in the paper following the game.

That is correct - 2002 though. My first and last game at the Kohl. Some questionable calls on DWade as I recall.

MUMac
05-05-2014, 11:55 AM
That is correct - 2002 though. My first and last game at the Kohl. Some questionable calls on DWade as I recall.

2001 was the year there were questionable calls against Wade (2001-2002 season). 2002 was at Marquette, the year MU went to the Final 4, and 2003 back at UW. Pretty sure it was December 2003 in the game that I mentioned as DWade was gone by then and Sanders was the starter in place of Townsend that year.

CaribouJim
05-05-2014, 12:56 PM
2001 was the year there were questionable calls against Wade (2001-2002 season). 2002 was at Marquette, the year MU went to the Final 4, and 2003 back at UW. Pretty sure it was December 2003 in the game that I mentioned as DWade was gone by then and Sanders was the starter in place of Townsend that year.

You're right - was thinking that Wade got the last laugh that year by going to the FF, but I was a year off.