PDA

View Full Version : Awards Banquet....

IWB
04-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Here are the awards that were given out tonight.....

2011-12 Marquette Men's Basketball Award Winners

Hank Raymonds Sportsmanship Award - Jamail Jones
Dwyane Wade Legacy of Leadership Award - Jae Crowder
Standard of Academic Excellence - Juan Anderson & Jake Thomas
Rebounding Effort - Jae Crowder
Create for Others - Junior Cadougan
Sixth Man of the Year - Todd Mayo
Most Improved Player - Vander Blue
Defensive Player of the Year - Jamil Wilson & Jae Crowder
Best Performance in a Supporting Role - Matt Perkins (IT Services)
Wesley Matthews "Just Today" Award - Chris Otule
Lazar Hayward "Everyday Tough" Award - Junior Cadougan
Rob Frozena "We Are Marquette" Award - Jamil Wilson
Joseph Fulce "WDYL? 1%" Award - Derrick Wilson
Jimmy Butler "Only Now Exists" Award - Davante Gardner
"Sacrifice For The String" Award - Darius Johnson-Odom
Most Valuable Performer - Jae Crowder & Darius Johnson-Odom

MUfan12
04-11-2012, 11:07 PM
More awards than a youth soccer team. Who brought the Capri Sun?

So everyone gets a postseason award and a ring for making the tournament. It's gotten a little absurd.

TedBaxter
04-12-2012, 06:35 AM
My opinion on the awards is that when a team is successful, it takes all of the players to contribute whether it's in practice or in games. To reward all of the members with something gives everyone a sense that they played a role in winning whether they played 35 minutes a game or 5.

MUMac
04-12-2012, 07:49 AM
I agree completely with Ted, but I did like the "Who brought the Capri Sun?" line by MUfan12. That was well played.

kneelb4zerg
04-12-2012, 08:18 AM
More awards than a youth soccer team. Who brought the Capri Sun?

So everyone gets a postseason award and a ring for making the tournament. It's gotten a little absurd.

Jeez. Why don't you take it up with Buzz? Something tells me he knows a little more about how to motivate and inspire a team than you do.

Gato78
04-12-2012, 08:30 AM
This is all Buzz's doing and it worked well last night. May have been the best banquet since 2003. Many awards, true. But each of the guys had a chance to speak and the name awards keep our NBA guys involved. I would suggest a Steve Novak Shooting Award be added. Multiple awards give the faithful another chance to acknowledge and extend appreciation to the players for the hard work and sucess. I think a side benefit is it instills in the players a greater affinity to MU as we alums and fans show our gratitude and encouragement for the players' post-MU lives. I can't criticize at all. It works very well.

Cooby Snacks
04-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Who brought the Capri Sun?

If we're bringing Capri Sun, I propose handing out another award to whomever can open the damn things without having them explode all over the place. Juice in a bag...cmon.

Nukem2
04-12-2012, 09:04 AM
A very good event. Though, would prefer it to be on campus at The Al or the Union. Renaissance Place was a rather awkward venue for this event and has parking issues which limits attendance potential.

CaribouJim
04-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Were there any surprise guests, i.e., recruits etc.?

MUfan12
04-12-2012, 09:18 AM
If we're bringing Capri Sun, I propose handing out another award to whomever can open the damn things without having them explode all over the place. Juice in a bag...cmon.

No kidding. Hi-C for this guy. Ecto Cooler was where it was at.

Jeez. Why don't you take it up with Buzz? Something tells me he knows a little more about how to motivate and inspire a team than you do.

Kneel, I don't know why you get so defensive when there's any criticism of the way Buzz does things. But it's a little tiresome. I don't have a problem with the awards as much as publicly handing out rings like they've done at the BBQ and Madness. It just seems small time. A Sweet 16 is a nice accomplishment, but come on. If Crean did that people would have been all over him.

kneelb4zerg
04-12-2012, 09:20 AM
No kidding. Hi-C for this guy. Ecto Cooler was where it was at.

Kneel, I don't know why you get so defensive when there's any criticism of the way Buzz does things. But it's a little tiresome. I don't have a problem with the awards as much as publicly handing out rings like they've done at the BBQ and Madness. It just seems small time. A Sweet 16 is a nice accomplishment, but come on. If Crean did that people would have been all over him.

I don't know why some people like to complain for the sake of complaining. Who cares if he gives out a million awards?

MUfan12
04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Did you bother reading the rest of my post, or just cherry picking?

kneelb4zerg
04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Did you bother reading the rest of my post, or just cherry picking?

Umm, no. You made fun of the number of awards, now you don't like handing out rings for making the sweet 16. Again, who cares.

MUfan12
04-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Umm, no. You made fun of the number of awards, now you don't like handing out rings for making the sweet 16. Again, who cares.

Right then. I'll be sure to check with you on what matters I can post my opinions on from here on out.

IWB
04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
If Crean did that people would have been all over him.

Crean did too.

kneelb4zerg
04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Right then. I'll be sure to check with you on what matters I can post my opinions on from here on out.

Can I check with you on whether your opinions should be subject to criticism?

Nukem2
04-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Can I check with you on whether your opinions should be subject to criticism?You guys need to get a room or take this to MU Scoop.

ziggysfryboy
04-12-2012, 10:38 AM
I can see getting sweet 16 rings, but just getting to the tourney rings seems a bit much.

or a ring that can have more bling added each year they get to 16/8. more of a program building ring.

final four should warrant it's own ring

MUMac
04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
I can see getting sweet 16 rings, but just getting to the tourney rings seems a bit much.

or a ring that can have more bling added each year they get to 16/8. more of a program building ring.

I don't know the answer, but in football, players get rings for bowl games. I am guessing that the sports apparel company for each school gives out "gift's" such as rings for various accomplisments - winning the BE Conference; making the NCAA Tourney; Making the Sweet 16; making the Final 4; winning the NCAA Tournament ...

Djgoldnboy
04-12-2012, 11:51 AM

I can see the Sweet 16 as being the cut off line. I mean, there are some 300+ division 1 schools, to be in the last 16 standing is something pretty special.

IWB
04-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I have no issue with players getting rings for winning a Bowl Game, winning a conference championship, making it to the Sweet 16, Final Four, National Champs..... but one has always bothered me, bothered me more than any other. This may be a feature rant for another time, but did you know that the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal winning basketball team got Olympic Championship rings? I mean, why? Isn't the Gold Medal the prize? Why do they need rings? Do the Gold Medal winning swimmers get one? Gymnasts? Runners? That bothers me.

GOMU1104
04-12-2012, 12:05 PM

Have you forgotten about Grey Goose and Capri Sun...quite possibly the best concoction ever?

Djgoldnboy
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I have no issue with players getting rings for winning a Bowl Game, winning a conference championship, making it to the Sweet 16, Final Four, National Champs..... but one has always bothered me, bothered me more than any other. This may be a feature rant for another time, but did you know that the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal winning basketball team got Olympic Championship rings? I mean, why? Isn't the Gold Medal the prize? Why do they need rings? Do the Gold Medal winning swimmers get one? Gymnasts? Runners? That bothers me.

Probably so they can wear "something" around to show they won it. Would be kind of odd to have the gold medal draped around your neck where ever you go. But I do agree with you.

IWB
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Alright, I'm going to put a stop to this right now. Grey Goose and Capri Sun? Do you......

Go to Coerper's, order the filet mignon and ask for a bottle of ketchup?
Head to the Pentagoet Inn in Castine Maine, order the king sized lobster and ask for extra tarter sauce?
Head to Moet & Chandon in Epernay France, order a glass of Dom Perignon, and ask them to add a splash of orange juice to it?
Head to the Bordeax Region of France, ask for a glass of Lafite-Rothschild, and have them 'throw a couple of ice cubes in it'?

For the love of God man, have some respect..... Grey Goose is so fine, you should not mix it with any type of juice.

And yes, I do have a few interesting tidbits for you. What makes Grey Goose so different? 3 things....

1) It is not just made from wheat, it is made from winter wheat grown in the Cognac region of France, which is quite different.

2) The water used comes from Artesian wells that are several hundred feet below the earth's surface, so untouched by human hands, meaning no pollutants.

3) Here is the most important - In many countries, it is law that vodka be charcoal filtered, so, vodka makers everywhere have always used charcoal. Grey Goose comes from France, where founder Sidnney Frank wondered, why charcoal when we have all of this beautiful limestone in the Champagne region? So, he filtered it with Champagne limestone and the rest is history.

Also, though he has since passed away, Grey Goose inventor Sidney Frank is also the inventor of Jagermiester.

Jager-bomb anyone?

Cooby Snacks
04-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Have you forgotten about Grey Goose and Capri Sun...quite possibly the best concoction ever?

It is the beverage of innovation.

GOMU1104
04-12-2012, 12:34 PM
IWB...Crazy things happen during the down time between Murphy's closing at 2 am and heading down to the BC to wait in line to get our wristbands for College Gameday vs. PITT. Sleep wasn't in the cards, that's for sure.

Myself, Cooby Snacks, and a few others went to my apartment only to find the only things in my fridge were a bottle of Grey Goose and some Capri Suns. Classy, I know, but part of me believes that mixture powered me through that day, until I finally went to sleep sometime on Sunday morning.

Cooby...I totally forgot we made those signs after the bar. Any chance you still have the Aaron Gray one?

IWB
04-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Ok, that is a perfectly solid and acceptable explanation, but leads me to one final question....what in the hell is a college refrigerator doing with Grey Goose in it? I would expect it to be something like Kamchatka Vodka, which is not only the cheapest there is, anywhere, but also the preferred vodka of the late Marge Schott.

TrevorCandelino
04-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Alright, I'm going to put a stop to this right now. Grey Goose and Capri Sun? Do you......

Go to Coerper's, order the filet mignon and ask for a bottle of ketchup?
Head to the Pentagoet Inn in Castine Maine, order the king sized lobster and ask for extra tarter sauce?
Head to Moet & Chandon in Epernay France, order a glass of Dom Perignon, and ask them to add a splash of orange juice to it?
Head to the Bordeax Region of France, ask for a glass of Lafite-Rothschild, and have them 'throw a couple of ice cubes in it'?

For the love of God man, have some respect..... Grey Goose is so fine, you should not mix it with any type of juice.

And yes, I do have a few interesting tidbits for you. What makes Grey Goose so different? 3 things....

1) It is not just made from wheat, it is made from winter wheat grown in the Cognac region of France, which is quite different.

2) The water used comes from Artesian wells that are several hundred feet below the earth's surface, so untouched by human hands, meaning no pollutants.

3) Here is the most important - In many countries, it is law that vodka be charcoal filtered, so, vodka makers everywhere have always used charcoal. Grey Goose comes from France, where founder Sidnney Frank wondered, why charcoal when we have all of this beautiful limestone in the Champagne region? So, he filtered it with Champagne limestone and the rest is history.

Also, though he has since passed away, Grey Goose inventor Sidney Frank is also the inventor of Jagermiester.

Jager-bomb anyone?

Have you had Kirkland brand vodka from Costco?

There has long been a rumor that Kirkland vodka and Grey Goose are one and the same.

We will never know for sure but it is confirmed that Kirkland is bottled in the same facility in France using the same distilling techniques.

It tastes the same as Grey Goose but is exponentially cheaper.

IWB
04-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Have not tried it, but if it is filtered with limestone, I imagine it would be extremely similar.

MayorBeluga
04-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Could we plaase stop talking about vodka and perhaps start talking about something important? Like Irish whiskey perhaps...

ziggysfryboy
04-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Skol vodka and Tahitian treat from the McCormick vending machine. Wish I had some Capri suns. Dang.

Cooby Snacks
04-12-2012, 05:27 PM
IWB...Crazy things happen during the down time between Murphy's closing at 2 am and heading down to the BC to wait in line to get our wristbands for College Gameday vs. PITT. Sleep wasn't in the cards, that's for sure.

Myself, Cooby Snacks, and a few others went to my apartment only to find the only things in my fridge were a bottle of Grey Goose and some Capri Suns. Classy, I know, but part of me believes that mixture powered me through that day, until I finally went to sleep sometime on Sunday morning.

Cooby...I totally forgot we made those signs after the bar. Any chance you still have the Aaron Gray one?

Nah, I think we just left them at the Bradley Center. I know the McSteal sign was in your apartment closet for a while, though.

GOMU1104
04-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Nah, I think we just left them at the Bradley Center. I know the McSteal sign was in your apartment closet for a while, though.

Good thing the majority of people there were either A) Busy yelling at the Emcee Digger Phelps or B) Obliterated...to really understand what the Aaron Gray sign even meant.

McSteal lasted until the day we moved out.

MUMac
04-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I am not a Grey Goose fan. My preference is Belvedere or Chopin on the rocks, straight up - no Capri Sun for me!

mufansince72
04-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Vodka sucks! Isn't there any true Wisconsinites in here who like their beer and brandy manhattan's:cool:

MUMac
04-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Vodka sucks! Isn't there any true Wisconsinites in here who like their beer and brandy manhattan's:cool:

When on Spring Break during my time at MU, we were at a bar in Florida. I ordered a brandy and 7. The bartender asked where I lived in Wisconsin. I asked how he knew. He said only those from Wisconsin and New York drink brandy and I didn't have an accent. So, '72, you are spot on.

mufansince72
04-16-2012, 06:52 PM
When on Spring Break during my time at MU, we were at a bar in Florida. I ordered a brandy and 7. The bartender asked where I lived in Wisconsin. I asked how he knew. He said only those from Wisconsin and New York drink brandy and I didn't have an accent. So, '72, you are spot on.

The only places you can get a good brandy man are in Wisconsin and Vegas. I was just down in Florida for a week, and was surprised that I could even buy sweet vermouth.

Nukem2
04-16-2012, 08:09 PM
PBMs all the way...!

bob7200
04-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Back to the original topic...was Larry Williams at the banquet and, if so, did he speak? Just wondering how he came across, considering the firestorm of a couple weeks earlier regarding him.

Nukem2
04-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Back to the original topic...was Larry Williams at the banquet and, if so, did he speak? Just wondering how he came across, considering the firestorm of a couple weeks earlier regarding him.
LW was there and opened the program with some very brief comments. He came across just fine.

MUAlphaBangura
04-20-2012, 05:28 PM
LW was there and opened the program with some very brief comments. He came across just fine.

Agree Nukem, he was fine. But, he was fine because he said nothing but generic statements about the season, and intro for Brad Galli. Said absolutely nothing of substance, nothing that would make anyone think things are good between He and Buzz. Still really seems to struggle with his public speaking.