PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rivers

Gato78
04-29-2014, 09:01 PM
I think he has sealed his spot in NBA HOF after the events of the past three days. I also bet Shaka Smart wishes he showed Doc a little more respect. Doc has been the voice of calm, voice of reason while also discussing some of the hateful encounters he had to endure. Proud he is one of us.

MU/Panther
04-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Doc has been great. Can't say that for the others who act like they are so hurt.

kneelb4zerg
04-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Doc has been great. Can't say that for the others who act like they are so hurt.

????????????

MU/Panther
04-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Yes

CaribouJim
04-29-2014, 09:55 PM
Yes

Care to explain?

mufan2003
04-29-2014, 11:52 PM
I think he has sealed his spot in NBA HOF after the events of the past three days. I also bet Shaka Smart wishes he showed Doc a little more respect. Doc has been the voice of calm, voice of reason while also discussing some of the hateful encounters he had to endure. Proud he is one of us.

Charles, Kenny and Shaq said Doc is the type of leader you would want as your coach in a situation like this. I agree.

MU/Panther
04-30-2014, 07:47 AM
Care to explain?

Many act like they are hurt. Many like acting mad for the sake of being mad. I would like to be a tape recording when others have said things about gays, whites, females or another race of many who play in the NBA. Will there be the same outrage in that case is the question?

Charles Barkley has said it the best. Doc Rivers has been quit, he was not in favor of the warm-up inside out idea. Adam Silver did the correct thing. I hope the same outrage and standards are held in other cases.

CaribouJim
04-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Many act like they are hurt. Many like acting mad for the sake of being mad. I would like to be a tape recording when others have said things about gays, whites, females or another race of many who play in the NBA. Will there be the same outrage in that case is the question?

Charles Barkley has said it the best. Doc Rivers has been quit, he was not in favor of the warm-up inside out idea. Adam Silver did the correct thing. I hope the same outrage and standards are held in other cases.

If the content of what they said was anywhere in the vicinity of what Sterling said, yes, there would be the same outrage and there should be.

ValiantSailor
04-30-2014, 08:01 AM
What I can't get over is that the NAACP was about to give Sterling a "Lifetime Achievement" award. How ironic! Obviously, these awards are simply for show

VS

MU/Panther
04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
If the content of what they said was anywhere in the vicinity of what Sterling said, yes, there would be the same outrage and there should be. Sterlings comments were not public. They were taped and brought out without him knowing. There is a problem in that.

We didn't get this when Tim Hardway went off about the gays. So, no it's not the same.

MUMac
04-30-2014, 08:22 AM
What I can't get over is that the NAACP was about to give Sterling a "Lifetime Achievement" award. How ironic! Obviously, these awards are simply for <strike>show</strike> money

VS

Fixed it

mutpm
04-30-2014, 08:27 AM
What I can't get over is that the NAACP was about to give Sterling a "Lifetime Achievement" award. How ironic! Obviously, these awards are simply for show

VS

Plus he had been sued for discrimination in the past. This guy has exhibited racist qualities for years, but it took this recording for people to get mad. We now live in a world where words are worse than actions. What he has actually done for years is far worse than anything he said on that recording.

TheSultan
04-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Actually, Bomani Jones (who I am hot and cold on) really said it best here.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/bomani-jones-shines-a-light-on-what-really-matters-with-donald-sterling.html

This takes awhile to get going, but when he hits the main point (about the 4:30 mark), that what Sterling *said* pales in comparison with what he *has done* as a property owner. The people who are outraged NOW...where were they THEN?

Here is the article from six years ago that is mentioned:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/060810

Charles Barkley touched on this as well. He said that he really doesn't care what he said, but he cares deeply about how he used his position of power to put his thumb on a group of people simply because of their race.

MUMac
04-30-2014, 08:30 AM
Plus he had been sued for discrimination in the past. This guy has exhibited racist qualities for years, but it took this recording for people to get mad. We now live in a world where words are worse than actions. What he has actually done for years is far worse than anything he said on that recording.

This is the point I agree with. He has been publicly flogged for a taped private conversation, but the NBA and others turned a blind eye to his pulbic actions throughout the years.

Goose85
04-30-2014, 09:08 AM
I think Stern was hoping he would just go away, but he never did. I think they didn't do anything sooner because they knew he would sue, and will likely do so now.

MulliganMusings
04-30-2014, 10:01 AM

VS

It's worse than that as this would have been the second "lifetime achievement" award. The awards are driven by money and the NAACP should hang their head in shame as this incident is only one in many of Sterling's long history of racial prejudice. He has been sued multiple times for racial discrimination and even investigated by the federal government. Being a billionaire, Sterling has been able to buy off most of the litigants and somehow he did prevail in the racial discrimination base brought against him by Elgin Baylor.

As for the comments, made by Tim Hardaway about gay people, a few years can make a great deal of difference. If those same comments were made today, about gays or any other group, by an active player, coach or owner, I believe there would be swift and serious consequences. I'm sure someone will evoke the 1st amendment which would be ignorant as the only protection the 1st amendment offers is against the government taking action on the basis of speech regardless of how hate filled it might be. However, private entities, especially consumer driven businesses that don't want to have their revenue stream endangered by boycotts, are taking action pretty quickly when they perceive that comments, made by an employee or someone associated with the business/organization, might offend a huge group of consumers. Sometimes it can be something as remote as the recent example of Mozilla (the company that produces the Firefox web browser among other products) where the CEO lost his job when it came out he had contributed to the Proposition 8 (the campaign to repeal gay marriage in California) initiative. As Mark Cuban said, it can be a "slippery slope" and it will be interesting to see if there will be any other cases of speech, public or private, which result in action by a league or business against an employee or associate.

MU/Panther
04-30-2014, 10:33 AM
That being said, people are still can have their thoughts on things. That is why there is the 1st amendment.

kneelb4zerg
04-30-2014, 10:44 AM
That being said, people are still can have their thoughts on things. That is why there is the 1st amendment.

There's no First Amendment right to be a jackass and damage the entire NBA brand.

ziggysfryboy
04-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Jerry Krause was having an affair with his chins.

MU/Panther
04-30-2014, 12:57 PM
There's no First Amendment right to be a jackass and damage the entire NBA brand. Sure there is, in some respect. You just have to watch what you say, or you might be paying the price.

CaribouJim
04-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Sterlings comments were not public. They were taped and brought out without him knowing. There is a problem in that.

We didn't get this when Tim Hardway went off about the gays. So, no it's not the same.

The Gold Digger alleges that the two agreed to often tape their conversations as their talks sometimes got spirited and they wanted to have proof of what each said. She also alleges that she did not leak the tape.

Admittedly hard to believe either one of these two though.

Goose85
04-30-2014, 02:22 PM
The Gold Digger alleges that the two agreed to often tape their conversations as their talks sometimes got spirited and they wanted to have proof of what each said. She also alleges that she did not leak the tape.

Admittedly hard to believe either one of these two though.

Sounds like he may have promised some things to her in exchange for some things she would provide, and he then didn't deliver. Not sure where I read or heard this, but I thought I had heard or read that he is becoming forgetful. I'd bet in the event that something happend to the old guy, she wanted to collect on what he promised to give her, so she recorded their conversations.

CaribouJim
04-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Sounds like he may have promised some things to her in exchange for some things she would provide, and he then didn't deliver. Not sure where I read or heard this, but I thought I had heard or read that he is becoming forgetful. I'd bet in the event that something happend to the old guy, she wanted to collect on what he promised to give her, so she recorded their conversations.

I too heard the "forgetful" thing.

MUMac
04-30-2014, 03:33 PM

What I read somewhere is that he asked her to record him because he was forgetful.

Also read somewhere that he gave her some of his ex wife's valuables. They were said to be valued in the millions. The ex wanted them back and that is why she turned this in to TMZ.

CaribouJim
04-30-2014, 04:40 PM
What I read somewhere is that he asked her to record him because he was forgetful.

Also read somewhere that he gave her some of his ex wife's valuables. They were said to be valued in the millions. The ex wanted them back and that is why she turned this in to TMZ.

The ex was the leak? Didn't know that, but it makes sense I guess - knew that she was suing the Gold Digger. I wonder how she got hold of the tape.