PDA

View Full Version : Those critical of Carlino

TulsaWarrior
04-28-2014, 10:56 AM
If you haven't read the Sports Illustrated article about the mess that happened at the end of Ben Howland's time at UCLA you should take a few minutes. It's an eye opener. If you don't want to read the whole piece go to page four for the stuff regarding Carlino. What happened to him at UCLA was legally actionable. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/magazine/02/28/ucla/index.html

The article is a cautionary tale on team chemistry and how discipline on and off the court can eventually do in any program. When you see a successful program having a mediocre season a lot goes into it. All it takes is one or two players with maturity problems, a burned out/disconnected coach or an administration that doesn't have a clue on how to support a healthy program. Or perhaps in some cases it's a combination of all of the above.

This might be a good discussion for a future radio show with IWB and Zach.

ValiantSailor
04-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Is there any wonder that Howland is still looking for a job? Holy crap!

VS

ziggysfryboy
04-28-2014, 02:32 PM
I think Crisco gave the recommendation on the book Men of March, about Alford, Lavin, Self and Brey, following them throughout a season(2001-02). I'm 3/4ths of the way throught it, it's a fascinating book and further proof that I don't ever want to be a D1 coach. Talks a lot about chemistry, motivation, disciple, and sacrificing those principles for the almighty W.

unclejohn
04-28-2014, 03:01 PM
That article was the reason I did not want to see Howland hired, and shivered any time someone said we ought to just hire him and be done with it. It is hard to get a fair and full evaluation of a coach from one magazine article, but it sure seems that Howland's program was out of control. Add to that the fact that people just seem not to like him and he would be a terrible fit for Marquette.

TulsaWarrior
04-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Marquette will always need a certain type of coach -- a players coach.