PDA

View Full Version : A Bit of Perspective Re Carlino

Phantom Warrior
04-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Last year Carlino averaged 1 shot per 2.2 minutes and shot 38.5% from the field.

I checked out the stats for every BE team last year to see who among their starters was the "fastest draw/gun" on each team. Here's what I discovered.

Butler: Marshall - 1 shot/2.4 mins (53% from the field)

Creighton: McDermott - 1 shot/1.9 mins (53%)

DePaul: Young - 1 shot/2.7 mins (43%)

GTown: Starks - 1 shot/2.7 mins (41%)

MU: Gardner - 1 shot/2.8 mins (53%)

Providence: Cotton - 1 shot/2.5 mins (42%)

Seton Hall: Edward - 1 shot/2.4 mins (44%)

St. John: - Harrison 1 shot/2.5 mins (38%)

Villanova: Bell - 1 shot/2.7 mins (43%)

Xavier: Christon - 1 shot/2.9 mins (48%)

In short, among all 50 regular starters in the BE last season, Carlino would have had the second lowest minutes per shot, only to McDermott. Looked at another way, he was a higher volume shooter than guys like Cotton, Christon, Harrison, Starks, etc., and he had a lower overall field goal percentage than all of these players except Harrison (though Harrison was better from beyond the arc).

Let's throw in another few names of high-volume shooters:

UConn: Napier - 1 shot/2.8 mins (43%)

Cincy: Kilpatrick - 1 shot/2.3 mins (42%)

Louisville: Russ Smith - 1 shot/2.3 mins (47%)

I obviously do not expect Carlino to be as productive as any of these very talented players. My point is that Carlino took an awful lot of shots in the minutes he played. When I was growing up, players who shot that frequently were called hungos. I find his proclivity to shoot so frequently a cause for concern.

I'll take all this a step further, using MU guards as a reference points. Over the past 10 seasons, looking at the same stat - 1 shot/X mins - here's what I found.

Travis (both junior and senior years) 1 shot/2.5 mins (42% from the field)

Dominic (freshmen year) 1 shot/2.5 mins (43%)

Jerel (senior year) 1 shot/2.3 mins (44%)

DJ-O (senior year) 1 shot/2.4 mins (45%)

Vander (junior year) 1 shot/2.8 mins (45%)

Again, Carlino shows a quicker trigger finger than any of these MU guards despite significantly lower shooting percentage. My hope is that Wojo can rein Carlino in.

Nukem2
04-26-2014, 01:03 PM
His tendency to shoot too much is my concern as well. This tendancy was on display at the BC last month as he was 4 of 16 from the field. We date ourselves with the word "hungo"....... :)

MU/Panther
04-26-2014, 01:27 PM
If you watch BYU, that is their style of play. They had some scoring games in the 100's snd 90's.

ValiantSailor
04-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Is it possible that Carlino's performance was expected by his coaches at BYU? And that with an entirely new team, new coaches, and different style of play, his performance at Marquette could be modified?

VS

kneelb4zerg
04-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Is it possible that Carlino's performance was expected by his coaches at BYU? And that with an entirely new team, new coaches, and different style of play, his performance at Marquette could be modified?

VS

Absolutely yes.

Markedman
04-26-2014, 01:44 PM
My guess is Carlino will know what is expected or he won't play. This is a new start for him. I'm sure he will take some bad shots but it is up to Wojo to let him know how he wants him to play and what he expects of him as a point guard.

If most of his shots were 3 pointers the low shooting percentage doesn't bother me as much.

I'm just glad we will have a point guard who has to be guarded on the perimeter

TulsaWarrior
04-26-2014, 04:43 PM
The talent is there. The issue is making it blend, to understand what a good shot is relative to the clock. This is an experienced player who has appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, plus a NIT. A fresh start cannot be underrated. The shadow of Jimmer Fredette probably hurt Carlino more than help him.

Wojo has the same challenge with Carlino and Burton -- understanding when to pull the trigger. The good news is Carlino, Burton and Mayo can create their own shot at any given moment. Add one more big to the mix on this roster and Marquette fans will see the Golden Eagles in post season tournament action. The 2014-15 team should be able to score. The offense will be a lot more interesting than the 2013-14 version of the Golden Eagles.

2012Warrior
04-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Out of curiosity, what was Jimmer's shots per minute his senior year? About 2.1? I know there was a bit of pressure on Carlino to step into Fredette's role at BYU. My guess is Wojo wants to see improved defense, distribution and better shot attempts from Matt this year.