PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Kaminsky did strongly consider going pro

Markedman
04-25-2014, 01:58 PM
But will return....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10839613/frank-kaminsky-returning-wisconsin-badgers-senior-season

Phantom Warrior
04-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Kaminsky's development this past season was astonishing. He improved as much in one season as any player I can recall at either UW or MU. If he improves again next year - even a little - he will be very tough to defend and a potential first round pick.

Kind of ironic that Bo's Top 100 bigs over the years - or near Top 100 bigs - didn't improve all that much their final year at UW. In fact, the 2012-2013 teams three front court players - Evans, Berggren, and Bruiser - may all have even taken a step or two backwards their final year. Then here comes completely unheralded Kaminsky - with minimal expectations - and he has busts out.

Goose85
04-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Interesting that both Kaminsky and Dekker were considered fringe first round. Tough to turn down.

I think this was the year Frank should have gone. Next year is supposed to be a big year for big men, and it may be tough for Frank to top this past season.

I hope he does well and stays healthy, but always a gamble.

ziggysfryboy
04-26-2014, 12:05 AM
wonder if bo pushed him to come back?

Markedman
05-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Sure doesn’t sound like Bo pushed him……….Kid is really impressive…wish Vander had felt the same love for college life….
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/01/frank-kaminsky-on-returning-to-school-the-nba-looks-flat-out-boring/

Goose85
05-01-2014, 11:44 AM
I think Big Frank is right (and hard not to like the kid). In a lot of cases you get more exposure in college. How often is Duke, or Kansas or Michigan or next year Wisconsin going to be on national tv. Now how often is Sacramento or New Orleans or Charlotte on national tv.

Years ago once a year a few of us would try to do a basketball Saturday. We would pick a day when MU played in the afternoon and the Bucks played at night. Go to MU game, out afterward, grab something to eat, go to the Bucks game.

Sure the NBA talent can be incredible, but the game atmosphere of MU hoops is far better than most NBA games (this does not include playoffs - NBA playoffs are more like a college atmosphere). After going to an MU game, the Bucks games were boring, and at the time the Bucks were not the worst in the league Bucks.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-02-2014, 09:16 AM
He seems to have thought it out, but if his stock ends up dropping (likely unless he's in the NPOY conversation) or he suffers an injury, that will be a tough decision to live with. Like Goose said, it's hard not to like the kid, which is really saying something considering where he plays.

dw3dw3dw3
05-02-2014, 09:23 AM
They were killing him on Mike and Mike, and I agree. What a bunch of crap. Just because you didn't get a first round guarantee you're going to crap on the league where you'll be playing one year later? I like him as a player, but that's just stupid. It's one thing to say you love the college atmosphere, but it becomes something else when you basically say the NBA sucks.

MUfan12
05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
They were killing him on Mike and Mike, and I agree. What a bunch of crap. Just because you didn't get a first round guarantee you're going to crap on the league where you'll be playing one year later? I like him as a player, but that's just stupid. It's one thing to say you love the college atmosphere, but it becomes something else when you basically say the NBA sucks.

Exactly. If he thinks the NBA is boring, how is he gonna deal with the D-League?

Goose85
05-02-2014, 09:51 AM

Good points. Didn't realize he was the target of discussion on Mike and Mike.
He is taking a chance he responds with a really good year, and it is supposed to be a really good year for big men next year.
When he gets to the NBA he will be taking some crap.

05-02-2014, 10:02 AM
I doubt it will have much impact in a year. Teams that interview him will understand why he said what he said (let's be honest, teams like the Bucks and Bobcats know an empty arena doesn't look energized) and time heals a lot. How many fans will really care what a fringe-first rounder said a year ago? Maybe some in Charlotte. More than anything, it's a talking point for 20 minutes on Mike and Mike and will be forgotten by tomorrow.

And if he does end up in the D-League, a sparse NBA arena, or Europe playing before small crowds, he'll still have that senior year to remember.

Goose85
05-02-2014, 10:48 AM
I meant he was taking a chance coming back for his senior year, not taking a chance with his comments.
An injury or a bad stretch of games at the end of the year and scouts may very well consider last season a fluke.

05-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Gotcha, and agreed. I think he made a mistake for his career, but he certainly defended his decision well.

mufan2003
05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
For Frank the Tank's sake, hopefully, he does not have a Jordan Taylor senior year. Taylor was a fringe 1st round pick after junior year....came back for senior year...then never was drafted and is not in the NBA.

To say the NBA is boring is silly. I love MU and college hoops, but the talent discrepancy is obvious and while the NBA regular season has its dull moments, the playoffs are fantastic.

05-02-2014, 03:55 PM
For Frank the Tank's sake, hopefully, he does not have a Jordan Taylor senior year. Taylor was a fringe 1st round pick after junior year....came back for senior year...then never was drafted and is not in the NBA.

To say the NBA is boring is silly. I love MU and college hoops, but the talent discrepancy is obvious and while the NBA regular season has its dull moments, the playoffs are fantastic.

From Frank's comments, it's clear he was talking about the regular season, and I'd definitely agree with him. Yes, the level of play is undoubtedly higher, but in many cases fans aren't as engaged and when you compare the atmosphere to the Kohl Hole, quite a few NBA franchises will come up short in regular season play.

And as good as atmospheres are in the playoffs, are they better than a high-level college venue, or than a Final Four? I'm honestly not sure, but I'm not sure the NBA has the percentage of die-hard fans attending games that college does.