PDA

View Full Version : SI ranked open jobs in college ball, MU #2

jpvegas52
04-21-2014, 06:34 PM
SI ranked the jobs in college basketball that came open this year and ranked Marquette as second best. Main problem was lack of football in conference and what happens because of that in the college sports scene. VT ranked seventh.

http://sincaatourney.wordpress.com/?p=14959&preview=true

Rankings of the best jobs that have come open this offseason – whether they’ve been filled or not.

1. Missouri

2. Marquette

The caveats here: It’s a job in a conference without football, which makes the long term forecast a bit more tenuous. And there’s no permanent athletic director on hand at the moment. But Steve Wojciechowski left Duke for a program that spent more money on hoops ($10.7 million) in 2012-13 than Indiana or North Carolina. The resources and facilities are unquestioned. And the Big East is a winnable league every year.

3. Houston

4. California

5. Tennessee

6. Wake Forest

7. Virginia Tech

8. Tulsa

9. Boston College

10. Auburn

Just outside the top 10: South Florida, Ohio, Washington State, UNC-Wilmington

Awilhelmscream
04-21-2014, 06:45 PM
I truly don't understand how Mizzou is a better job than MU.

DCwarrior
04-21-2014, 06:49 PM
I truly don't understand how Mizzou is a better job than MU.

SEC means unlimited television money from football.

TheSultan
04-21-2014, 06:52 PM
I would argue that no athletic director is better than Mike Alden.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/burwell-alden-was-big-factor-in-haith-exit/article_b8cd520b-07ea-5997-8c93-145afe28bb4f.html

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Houston? Come on, better than TN, cal, wake, va tech? How do they figure?

CaribouJim
04-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Agreed - that is the one that jumped out to me as well - don't get it.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-21-2014, 07:26 PM

They make a decent case. Well-funded, new facilities coming, and recruiting hotbed all help. I think they put a lot of value on how winnable the conference is. The AAC is a shorter hill to climb than the SEC or PAC-12. Tennessee's program gets less funding than DePaul and has a fanbase that ran a coach out in the midst of a Sweet 16 season. Cal plays in a tougher league with Arizona and UCLA. Wake and Va Tech are both in a top-heavy league and will be tough to recruit to. Va Tech has to compete for local recruits with Virginia, VCU, & Georgetown. The only thing the program has going for it is Buzz, and honestly Buzz would probably have an easier time at Cal, UT, or even Houston. Wake is in a tough spot too. Great history, but competing with Duke and UNC for recruits and Elon for students. That is not the same job it was 10 years ago, and the ACC will be tough to win.

Honestly, while there are probably 5-6 fantastic ACC jobs, the rest are in a tough spot. As good as the top of the league is, that just makes it harder for the rest to succeed.

MU/Panther
04-21-2014, 07:28 PM
SEC means unlimited television money from football.

SEC basketball means, black coaches moving on to other jobs.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-21-2014, 09:36 PM
They make a decent case. Well-funded, new facilities coming, and recruiting hotbed all help. I think they put a lot of value on how winnable the conference is. The AAC is a shorter hill to climb than the SEC or PAC-12. Tennessee's program gets less funding than DePaul and has a fanbase that ran a coach out in the midst of a Sweet 16 season. Cal plays in a tougher league with Arizona and UCLA. Wake and Va Tech are both in a top-heavy league and will be tough to recruit to. Va Tech has to compete for local recruits with Virginia, VCU, & Georgetown. The only thing the program has going for it is Buzz, and honestly Buzz would probably have an easier time at Cal, UT, or even Houston. Wake is in a tough spot too. Great history, but competing with Duke and UNC for recruits and Elon for students. That is not the same job it was 10 years ago, and the ACC will be tough to win.

Honestly, while there are probably 5-6 fantastic ACC jobs, the rest are in a tough spot. As good as the top of the league is, that just makes it harder for the rest to succeed.

Hmm, I dont know where I stand on this last comment. Cuse, Duke, UNC, Ville, Pitt (in no particular order my top 5) certainly make it a very difficult league to win but those teams being in your conference can also help you make the tourney more consistently. On the surface your comment makes complete sense to me, but I think I'd maybe rather be a program who consistently competes in the middle of a loaded ACC (a Maryland, NCSt or Virginia for instance) than consistently in the top of a middle power conference knowing that the ACC will consistently get 7-9 teams a year going forward. Kind of a toss up for me.

Regarding the running off of Martin "in the midst of a Sweet 16 season" - not really sure this is true. The running off (petition) took place in February when TN was 15-10 and 6-6 in conference and Martin had yet to make an NCAA tourney so while that is certainly a bit extremist of the fans to go with the whole petition side of things, I think I wouldve wanted Martin out of there at that point as well (and I'm still not convinced he's that great of a coach or recruiter - was glad when we didn't get him). Not saying TN is a great job, but it's in a power conference (albeit a football is #1, #2 and #3 type of conference), it has a great nearby recruiting hot bed in Memphis and coaches have proven you can win there over the last few years.

Edit: forgot MD is no longer in ACC