PDA

View Full Version : Marquette Lost To 2 Of The Top 10 All-Time Teams In NCAA Tournaments

TedBaxter
04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/storylist/17022452/16/top-16-college-basketball-teams-of-all-time

At least according to this article. 1976 Indiana at #1 and 1974 NC State at #9. Maybe old news, but I hadn't seen it posted.

Nukem2
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
It really too bad the NCAAs were not seeded back in those days. MU would have been a 1 seed and would not have played IU until the Final 4. That MU-IU Regional final in Tuscaloosa was a grat game with IU getting the benefit of some really questionable calls late in the game.....:confused:

MUMac
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
It really too bad the NCAAs were not seeded back in those days. MU would have been a 1 seed and would not have played IU until the Final 4. That MU-IU Regional final in Tuscaloosa was a grat game with IU getting the benefit of some really questionable calls late in the game.....:confused:

That would have been a final game for the NCAA. Then 2 years later, MU and Kentucky were set to meet in the 2nd round - until Peter Pavia stepped in and decided the game for himself.

CaribouJim
04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
That would have been a final game for the NCAA. Then 2 years later, MU and Kentucky were set to meet in the 2nd round - until Peter Pavia stepped in and decided the game for himself.

...and not to drop names, but the late Peter Pavia reffed me in a high school game 3 years before that.

Back to the Miami game - MU up by 10, 3 minutes left, Jerome gets the rebound and gets the T for swinging his elbows and MU loses in OT - stunning, stunning loss. Could have lived with losing to UK but it would have been a heck of a game, but to Miami Ohio - ugh.

A year or two later, Hank was in my hometown in Rochester for a high school b-ball tourney and was recruiting Rodney McCray I think and he ran into Pavia and Hank was very nice to Pavia - they had an article in the Rochester paper about their history the next day and they played up what a gentleman Hank was. I think I have the place and timeline down right.

Gato78
04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Hank was a gentlemen but also a competitor. I am sure his thoughts were not favorable toward Mr. Pavia though his actions were. EddieDswang and I tortured Pavia one night at the Arena--more than made up for Hank's gentility.

CaribouJim
04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Hank was a gentlemen but also a competitor. I am sure his thoughts were not favorable toward Mr. Pavia though his actions were. EddieDswang and I tortured Pavia one night at the Arena--more than made up for Hank's gentility.

That seems way out of character for Eddie - I'm somewhat shocked - next you'll tell me that MUAlphaBangura gives it to the reffs too. Rochester had a very active La Cosa Nostra back then BTW - you're lucky you two didn't end up at the bottom of the Genesse River.

MUAlphaBangura
04-10-2012, 06:59 PM
That seems way out of character for Eddie - I'm somewhat shocked - next you'll tell me that MUAlphaBangura gives it to the reffs too. Rochester had a very active La Cosa Nostra back then BTW - you're lucky you two didn't end up at the bottom of the Genesse River.

Quit spreading rumors!!