PDA

View Full Version : Stay Calm & Carry On

MulliganMusings
04-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Needless to say, as a fellow Georgian, I was completely bummed to read of Ahmed Hill’s decision to request his release from his NLI. At the same time I was very impressed with the classy manner in which he did disengage from MU and certainly understand how, having developed deep relationships with the previous staff, he would no longer feel as strong attachment to MU. That said, I wish the young man well. Unfortunately, I have to think that Shayock and Pierce will soon be on their way to other locations as well.

I certainly hope that Coach Wojciechowski doesn’t sign some “bodies” to fill out the roster. It’s pretty rare that an 11th hour recruit becomes a contributor much less a difference maker. I can’t help but think of the Brett Roseboro and Niv Berkowitz’s of the world. Certainly, if a graduate transfer or some other high value recruit (for example one of those in a situation similar to Hill’s in that they are now committed to a school where the coach that had recruited them has left) becomes available it would be great to bring them on board. However, the idea of giving a scholarship to a marginal player simply to have another practice body would seem to be a waste.

Obviously, I have complete confidence in Coach Wojciechowski and I think he has a long term view. There are several very high value targets out there and unless I’ve missed something we don’t even know who Coach Wojciechowski and he staff (outside of identified and obvious targets like Stone, Ellenson and Noskowiak and others like Cody Schwartz) will be targeting.

We have a core of very talented, albeit young, players and while I don’t forsee the type of year MU experienced, watching the very talented Kevin O’Neill class of Key, Logerterman and McIlvaine struggle I don’t anticipate a Big East championship or major post season run. Patience will be the key because if Coach Wojciechowski, and his staff, can bring in a top 10 class (not to put any pressure on them but if we sign two or more of our primary targets it could easily result in a top 10 class) we’re looking at a 2015-16 team that will feature Duane Wilson & Sandy Cohen (sophs), Deonte Burton, John Dawson, JaJuan Johnson and Luke Fischer (juniors) & Steve Taylor (senior). They will all, by virtue of the 2014-15 season, be highly seasoned veterans and, if the staff is successful in attracting an outstanding incoming class, Marquette will be poised to have one of the most talented teams in MU history and the opportunity to achieve a very, very successful season.

pbiflyer
04-17-2014, 07:17 AM
In my best Varuca Salt voice "But I want it now!"
It is interesting that people are already worrying about not having a signee or 2 lined up. As you so well stated, we are in far better shape than I imagined the day after Buzz left. I thought we would be scrambling to field a team.
Yes, it isn't perfect, but under the circumstances, it is better than expected. And who knows what Wojo is doing.
Seems like based on the timing and tone of Hill's message, Wojo has a handle on it.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-17-2014, 07:48 AM
The top priority was keeping the players that were already here. I consider that a huge recruiting win that all 9 players will be back, and adding Cohen is another solid move. Let's remember, we aren't the only school in this boat. Cal, Houston, and Boston College went through coaching changes and have some talented players and recruits asking out. There are a ton of transfers and many likely won't make any decisions until May. There are late-rising JUCOs and freshmen that may fit the bill. Our staff has been on the job 2 weeks and isn't even filled yet. No need to worry right now.

MUMac
04-17-2014, 07:54 AM
In my best Varuca Salt voice "But I want it now!"
It is interesting that people are already worrying about not having a signee or 2 lined up. As you so well stated, we are in far better shape than I imagined the day after Buzz left. I thought we would be scrambling to field a team.
Yes, it isn't perfect, but under the circumstances, it is better than expected. And who knows what Wojo is doing.
Seems like based on the timing and tone of Hill's message, Wojo has a handle on it.

I agree with both posts. There is not a lot of information available to us as to which direction Wojo is going, if any, for this year's class. That does not mean he is not working it. It just means the MU fan base has not developed solid contacts to know yet. I have confidence in Wojo that he will get it done. What I have seen and heard from him is quite impressive. His vision, though, is long term and not just the coming season.

pbiflyer
04-17-2014, 08:16 AM
I agree with both posts. There is not a lot of information available to us as to which direction Wojo is going, if any, for this year's class. That does not mean he is not working it. It just means the MU fan base has not developed solid contacts to know yet. I have confidence in Wojo that he will get it done. What I have seen and heard from him is quite impressive. His vision, though, is long term and not just the coming season.

I was just thinking today that if we had gotten Shaka, we may have been able to keep more recruits (may being the key word), but I think long term, our recruiting will be better under Wojo.

TulsaWarrior
04-17-2014, 08:20 AM
Buzz and Chew are aggressive headhunter recruiters. Wojo has not been required to do that. So far on Marquette's staff Phelps looks to be the most experienced non blue blood recruiter. (I don't put North Carolina State, Arizona State, Missouri and Drake in blue blood land.) When Coach K came to Duke it took him a number of seasons to get things going. (Is that the blueprint Wojo will follow?) Relatively speaking Wojo has a nice corps of players to work with on campus. Not much depth in the power positions. Fortunately there is time and opportunity on the recruiting front.

I prefer to look at the current quality of next year's freshman class -- Duane Wilson and Sandy Cohen and hope for some transfers into the program on the senior and junior level.

In terms of networking Wainwright may be the wildcard on the transition front. He's been around a long time and had to fight for recruits on the low, mid and high level of division one basketball. (I don't expect him to be recruiting off campus but his knowledge base and contacts are enormous.) He knows Marquette -- the challenges facing the program and other urban universities like DePaul and Richmond. He can offer Wojo a unique perspective. I hope he stays around for a couple more years.

Nukem2
04-17-2014, 08:55 AM
Needless to say, as a fellow Georgian, I was completely bummed to read of Ahmed Hill’s decision to request his release from his NLI. At the same time I was very impressed with the classy manner in which he did disengage from MU and certainly understand how, having developed deep relationships with the previous staff, he would no longer feel as strong attachment to MU. That said, I wish the young man well. Unfortunately, I have to think that Shayock and Pierce will soon be on their way to other locations as well.

I certainly hope that Coach Wojciechowski doesn’t sign some “bodies” to fill out the roster. It’s pretty rare that an 11th hour recruit becomes a contributor much less a difference maker. I can’t help but think of the Brett Roseboro and Niv Berkowitz’s of the world. Certainly, if a graduate transfer or some other high value recruit (for example one of those in a situation similar to Hill’s in that they are now committed to a school where the coach that had recruited them has left) becomes available it would be great to bring them on board. However, the idea of giving a scholarship to a marginal player simply to have another practice body would seem to be a waste.

Obviously, I have complete confidence in Coach Wojciechowski and I think he has a long term view. There are several very high value targets out there and unless I’ve missed something we don’t even know who Coach Wojciechowski and he staff (outside of identified and obvious targets like Stone, Ellenson and Noskowiak and others like Cody Schwartz) will be targeting.

We have a core of very talented, albeit young, players and while I don’t forsee the type of year MU experienced, watching the very talented Kevin O’Neill class of Key, Logerterman and McIlvaine struggle I don’t anticipate a Big East championship or major post season run. Patience will be the key because if Coach Wojciechowski, and his staff, can bring in a top 10 class (not to put any pressure on them but if we sign two or more of our primary targets it could easily result in a top 10 class) we’re looking at a 2015-16 team that will feature Duane Wilson & Sandy Cohen (sophs), Deonte Burton, John Dawson, JaJuan Johnson and Luke Fischer (juniors) & Steve Taylor (senior). They will all, by virtue of the 2014-15 season, be highly seasoned veterans and, if the staff is successful in attracting an outstanding incoming class, Marquette will be poised to have one of the most talented teams in MU history and the opportunity to achieve a very, very successful season.
So, you are Atlanta Warrior on other boards....

MulliganMusings
04-17-2014, 09:40 AM
So, you are Atlanta Warrior on other boards....

I am he and he is me :)

I like to post to this board and Dodds to get the perspectives there are some of us such as you, Nuke, and I that frequent both but there are those that stay on one and I always enjoy getting a range of opinions and information from well intentioned and well informed posters. Obviously, that precludes me from spending any time at Scoop.