PDA

View Full Version : Kohl apparently has reached a deal to sell the Bucks

Markedman
04-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Hope these guys honor the agreement to keep the team in Milwaukee………It worked with Attanasio but non local hedge fund guys make me nervous….

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 7m
Kohl made keeping team in Milwaukee a condition of the sale to the hedge-fund billionaires, whose purchase now subject to league approval
Details
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 10m
ESPN has learned Bucks owner Herb Kohl will announce sale of the team later today to Wesley Edens & Marc Lasry for price of $550 milllion

MU/Panther
04-16-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't think it's about honor, it's in the contract.

Markedman
04-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Yeah I know….but contracts can be bought out……Gato might have some insight on this but it has happened before IIRC

TheSultan
04-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Good. I think Kohl and Selig shared ideas of how to be bad team owners while roommates at UW.

Goose85
04-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Now that a sale appears to be on the table, time to line up funding for the new complex.

Cement Kohl's legacy and keep the team in Milw.

Might be nice for MU to sell recruits on playing in the newest state of the art NBA facility.

Nukem2
04-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Now that a sale appears to be on the table, time to line up funding for the new complex.

Cement Kohl's legacy and keep the team in Milw.

Might be nice for MU to sell recruits on playing in the newest state of the art NBA facility.

Well, that's a ways off....

Goose85
04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
[/B]Well, that's a ways off....

Sure it is a long way off, but it will really be a big plus for MU.

If they would be lucky enough to have a new facility in 6 years (break ground in 3 to 4 years), a recruit like Flory would play two years in the new facility.

Goose85
04-16-2014, 04:48 PM
If Kohl is putting $100 mil and the new owners are putting $100 mil toward a new facility, how much money would it take to build a new facility?

Cooby Snacks
04-16-2014, 04:53 PM
If Kohl is putting $100 mil and the new owners are putting $100 mil toward a new facility, how much money would it take to build a new facility?

Probably at least $400 million total. The proposed arena in Seattle is quoted at about $490 million, for the sake of comparison.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-16-2014, 05:27 PM
I believe they said $500 million is what Kohl said today... That means the city would need to pony up $300 million ... Not gonna happen.

mufansince72
04-16-2014, 05:47 PM
I believe they said $500 million is what Kohl said today... That means the city would need to pony up $300 million ... Not gonna happen.

I think both the new owners and Herb end up kicking in more. Jane Pettit donated announced a 40 million dollar gift for the Bradley Center, that more than doubled before the project was done. I would support a tax for a minority share of the costs. I think this will be tied into other projects such as the Wisconsin Center District. They have taxing authority and don't need to pass anything to raise taxes.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-16-2014, 06:12 PM
Last I heard, Kohl might be giving significantly more than people expect him to give. I'm sure it won't cover total costs, but I have a feeling this won't cost taxpayers what people are estimating right now.

Markedman
04-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Last I heard, Kohl might be giving significantly more than people expect him to give. I'm sure it won't cover total costs, but I have a feeling this won't cost taxpayers what people are estimating right now.

He announced today that he is giving 100 million....if he was giving more you would think he would have just gone ahead and announced it today.....

MU/Panther
04-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Bingo. Look for this to be done by private investors.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-16-2014, 06:24 PM
In the end I'd imagine some more private investors will come around, Kohl will donate more, the new ownership will go in more, and the city will give some... No way the city drops $300 mill though.

That said I am hopeful for MU's sake it gets done, would be amazing.

Cooby Snacks
04-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Any chance the major MU benefactors kick in a little something? Obviously a new downtown arena would be a huge benefit to our program.

TheSultan
04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Any chance the major MU benefactors kick in a little something? Obviously a new downtown arena would be a huge benefit to our program.

With everything the University needs money wise, I would hope this would be at the bottom of the University's priorities. The BC is just fine as a college arena.

Markedman
04-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Might be other sources....don't jump to conclusions.....

Attansio has already said he would make a contribution...naming rights can be sold......other business money can come in......MU could make a contribution.....

Lot's of things could happen.........

MU/Panther
04-16-2014, 07:00 PM
No word on BMO Harris.

MU/Panther
04-16-2014, 07:06 PM
With everything the University needs money wise, I would hope this would be at the bottom of the University's priorities. The BC is just fine as a college arena.

I don't think any of that is the case.

While I don't think MU or the Admirals will put money into building a new arena, they are heavily involved. The Bradley Center is not fine as a college arena. Too many upper deck seats with no leg room for starters.

TheSultan
04-16-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't think any of that is the case.

While I don't think MU or the Admirals will put money into building a new arena, they are heavily involved. The Bradley Center is not fine as a college arena. Too many upper deck seats with no leg room for starters.

In the grand scheme of University priorities, I think the Bradley Center is fine. I would hope that the University would ask its benefactors to focus on endowment, academic capital needs, etc. Would it be nice for Marquette? No doubt. But significant charitable assets would be better spent elsewhere.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-16-2014, 09:57 PM

Attansio has already said he would make a contribution...naming rights can be sold......other business money can come in......MU could make a contribution.....

Sorry I should have clarified... I think the new arena will eventually be built, however the city won't fund the majority of it, if that ends up the case it won't happen... Sorry about that, that's what I get for not re reading what I wrote

mutpm
04-17-2014, 06:07 AM

I think there is little to no chance MU puts in any contribution to a new arena. After eliminating over 100 employment lines 2 months ago, donating to a new arena would look really bad.

04-17-2014, 07:50 AM
He announced today that he is giving 100 million....if he was giving more you would think he would have just gone ahead and announced it today.....

That's what I get for writing all day (sadly not for this site) and not paying attention :D

Goose85
04-17-2014, 08:56 AM
I think there is little to no chance MU puts in any contribution to a new arena. After eliminating over 100 employment lines 2 months ago, donating to a new arena would look really bad.

While MU may not donate directly, major MU donors may. One of the biggest supporters of MU athletics is not an MU grad, and may be more inclined to support a Milwaukee initiative like a new arena, than an MU initiative for the engineering school or overall endowment, etc.

mutpm
04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
While MU may not donate directly, major MU donors may. One of the biggest supporters of MU athletics is not an MU grad, and may be more inclined to support a Milwaukee initiative like a new arena, than an MU initiative for the engineering school or overall endowment, etc.

I could see that, but he may be the only significant MU donor that could give a meaningful gift to a project like this and not have an affect on MU fundraising.

Nukem2
04-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Maybe the hedge fund guys could sell minority interest in the Bucks to guys like Attanasio, etc. and use the proceeds toward the new facility......sell 49% for $250 million....

PS, surprised Kohl is only offering $100 million. Not like he needs much to support himself and he is a bachelor.

mutpm
04-17-2014, 11:55 AM
It's tough to rip a guy that commits $100 million, but I'm going to. It's been public knowledge that Kohl was going to put in something for the new arena, but we never knew how much. It was also speculated that the Bucks would sell for $400 million at most. Given that Kohl made $100 million more than originally expected, I would have thought he would/could kick in a little more. With that said, it's an unbelievably generous gift and I'm hoping the rest of the money will be committed and the new arena can be built.

Goose85
04-17-2014, 12:05 PM
It's tough to rip a guy that commits $100 million, but I'm going to. It's been public knowledge that Kohl was going to put in something for the new arena, but we never knew how much. It was also speculated that the Bucks would sell for $400 million at most. Given that Kohl made $100 million more than originally expected, I would have thought he would/could kick in a little more. With that said, it's an unbelievably generous gift and I'm hoping the rest of the money will be committed and the new arena can be built.

I think at the end of the day Kohl very well may kick in more. I think he will first need to see what the plan is, and what type of additional funding they can generate with naming rights, other private investors, corporate sponsors, etc.

Gato78
04-17-2014, 12:16 PM
The sale price of the Bucks does not indicate cash in pocket to Kohl. Purportedly there was about $300 million in debt accumulated over the years.

MU/Panther
04-17-2014, 07:26 PM
I heard Kohl didn't have debt, that the Bucks made money.

MU/Panther
04-17-2014, 07:30 PM
I thought the number would be $225 million. I also thought the most he could get for the Bucks to stay in Milwaukee is $325 million.

Selling the Bucks for $550 is shocking! What could the Lakers and Heat get?

TheSultan
04-17-2014, 09:43 PM
I thought the number would be $225 million. I also thought the most he could get for the Bucks to stay in Milwaukee is $325 million.

Selling the Bucks for $550 is shocking! What could the Lakers and Heat get?

The next television contract for the NBA is going to be big...very big. There have been suggestions that it could be an 80%+ increase over it's current one.

Nukem2
04-17-2014, 09:50 PM
The next television contract for the NBA is going to be big...very big. There have been suggestions that it could be an 80%+ increase over it's current one.
Who watches the NBA. I havenot watched an NBA game in many years.

MUMac
04-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Who watches the NBA. I havenot watched an NBA game in many years.

I wondered the same. I do not remember the last game I watched. I really do not care for the league or brand of basketball.

TheSultan
04-18-2014, 08:34 AM
A lot of people watch the NBA. I usually don't watch much during the year, but I love the playoffs. IMO much better basketball than the NCAA.

CaribouJim
04-18-2014, 10:08 AM
A lot of people watch the NBA. I usually don't watch much during the year, but I love the playoffs. IMO much better basketball than the NCAA.

I love both - watch about 2-3 NBA games a week and the intensity of the NBA playoffs, especially in the later rounds, is very entertaining. These guys are the best athletes in the world IMO.

First thing I do each morning when reading the paper is checking out how all the MU NBA guys did the night before.

I don't watch the over-hyped NFL draft, but always try to watch the NBA draft from start to finish regardless if an MU guy(s) are possible picks.

Markedman
04-18-2014, 11:04 AM
I heard Kohl didn't have debt, that the Bucks made money.

I think Kohl said the bucks are currently making money(with the help of the new CBO)…..I think it is common knowledge that they lost money for many years.

Not sure how much debt they have but I’m sure they have some

Goose85
04-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Interesting article on the economic impact of the NBA all star game in Orlando.

The study indicates the overall impact was more than $95 million.

If we build it will they come? While I am personally not a big fan of the NBA all star game, it is a big deal from which one event illustrates what an impact a new facility could have for Milwaukee.

Add that to the potential impact of larger conventions and I can see why it is expected some tax money should be forthcoming.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/2012-nba-all-star-weekend-economic-impact-more-95-million

MUAlphaBangura
04-18-2014, 02:27 PM
I love both - watch about 2-3 NBA games a week and the intensity of the NBA playoffs, especially in the later rounds, is very entertaining. These guys are the best athletes in the world IMO.

First thing I do each morning when reading the paper is checking out how all the MU NBA guys did the night before.

I don't watch the over-hyped NFL draft, but always try to watch the NBA draft from start to finish regardless if an MU guy(s) are possible picks.

Don't you have to service your many super model friends first before checking the sports page?

CaribouJim
04-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Don't you have to service your many super model friends first before checking the sports page?

That goes without saying.

GOMU1104
04-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Interesting article on the economic impact of the NBA all star game in Orlando.

The study indicates the overall impact was more than $95 million.

If we build it will they come? While I am personally not a big fan of the NBA all star game, it is a big deal from which one event illustrates what an impact a new facility could have for Milwaukee.

Add that to the potential impact of larger conventions and I can see why it is expected some tax money should be forthcoming.

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/2012-nba-all-star-weekend-economic-impact-more-95-million

Even with a new arena, I think it will be a tough draw...Milwaukee in the middle of winter? I doubt it.

pbiflyer
04-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Even with a new arena, I think it will be a tough draw...Milwaukee in the middle of winter? I doubt it.

Downtown Orlando is a pretty thriving area anyway. Was there recently on a Tuesday night. Bars and restaurants very crowded.
Not sure how accurate the 95 million number is, since it is pretty full to capacity in winter on a normal weekend.

Markedman
04-19-2014, 08:43 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/new-bucks-owners-say-theyre-committed-to-bucks-and-downtown-b99251170z1-255890681.html

Markedman
04-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 34s
ESPN learns of clause in Bucks sale to let NBA buy team back in 2017 if no new arena in MIL (with @WindhorstESPN): http://es.pn/1rgp00J

04-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Wow...that's an incentive for the new owners. Basically "keep the team in Milwaukee or lose your team".

Markedman
04-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Wow...that's an incentive for the new owners. Basically "keep the team in Milwaukee or lose your team".

an incentive for the team and the city..................I think these guys will get it done one way or another......They didn't go through all of this to give the team back in 3 years.

TheSultan
04-21-2014, 06:58 PM

It doesn't require a purchase. It lets the team be purchased by the NBA. The NBA could always decide not to exercise that option.

04-21-2014, 07:02 PM
It doesn't require a purchase. It lets the team be purchased by the NBA. The NBA could always decide not to exercise that option.

No, but we know the NBA wants a team in Seattle badly. I have a feeling if the stadium isn't in the works they'll be lining up a new address for the Bucks.