PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to our newest writer

IWB
04-13-2014, 09:46 AM
A huge welcome to our newest writer, Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"!!!

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?653-December-Dreaming-Non-Con-Opponents-Worth-a-Look

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, Jim! Really glad to start writing for brewcityball.com and hope to stimulate some good discussion. If anyone has any suggestions or topics they want me to cover, send a PM and I'll consider it.

dubs98
04-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Well done brew. Nice to see a good summary that is both informative and realistic.

Mucrisco
04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Good article Brew. Does Brey already have a relationship with Wojo? Guys who are friends typically don't like to play each other. These coaches are so competitive that when they have to play a friend, it's very awkward. You want to beat them but you feel bad when you do. Personally, I don't like doing that. If this is the case, it would be a shame, since the ND/MU rivalry is a classic.

04-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Brey's last year as an assistant at Notre Dame was Wojo's freshman year. While they certainly do know each other, I'm not sure the relationship is as close as it would be with someone like K, Collins, or Dawkins that Wojo worked extensively with. I'm not sure how close they are, but I think considering the history, ND is more likely than some of the other Duke-bloodline programs. And honestly, while it may not be renewed any time soon, Notre Dame will be at the top of my list until the schedule comes out with them on it.

EDIT: One team I really wanted to include was Boston University. I think they could have been a great test. Made the tourney this year, had a NBA-caliber point guard in Maurice Watson, and coached by a former Jay Wright assistant, Joe Jones. I think they would have been an excellent opponent and one that would have been valuable for team development in many ways. Then Watson decided to transfer, and they fell right off my list.

MU/Panther
04-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Can we have Alan also take the job for Mike Hunt at the JSonline. We need a great MU beat writer for the Journal.

TulsaWarrior
04-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Two thumbs up...quality piece.

CaribouJim
04-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Incarnate Word??

Wow - never in a million years would have I thought that IWC would be even under remote consideration to ever be on MU's schedule. I lived exactly 10 blocks from their campus in San Antonio in the late '80s/early '90s - drove past it most days.

Good school and nice little campus.

CaribouJim
04-13-2014, 11:56 AM
I don't know how much $'s MU typically nets for a buy game, but I'd be all for MU and all the other Big East teams for that matter to reinvest one game in a high profile non-conference game on national TV and preferably in the middle of BE conference schedule - the league is in dire need of exposure w/ FS1 still getting its sea legs and the league needs to make hay in their non-conference schedule both in degree of difficulty of schedule and with high profile wins - both individualy for MU and collectively for the Big East. How many times was Georgetown's win over MSU referenced as part other resume?

In general, my philosophy for OOC schedule for MU and the Big East as a whole is harder the better.

MUFLA
04-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Nice work Brew

04-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments! I think there are a number of factors that are important when it comes to building a non-conference schedule. I'll revisit these once the schedule is announced, but these are key factors in my opinion, in no particular order:
Wins: I feel 9 is the minimum target for the number of attainable wins the schedule should have. Any less than that and it's an uphill climb to get a NCAA bid.
Quality Home Games: I generally expect 7 of the 13 games to be played at home. I think 2 of those should be games that will actually garner some interest. Wisconsin every other year is a great example, ASU, tOSU, Vandy, LSU, NC State have all been good examples in recent years.
Minimize RPI Drains: Sub-250 teams are RPI killers and have kept good teams from getting NCAA bids. The buy games should be such that there are hopefully no more than 2-3 teams likely to be sub-250. Any time you get up to 5-6 of those you put your bid likelihood and seed at risk.
Prepare For Conference: People get caught up so much in numbers, they forget that the non-con is a great chance to learn how to play different opponents. I like a schedule where you see teams that play fast, teams that play slow, teams that play zone, teams with size, teams that are guard-oriented. A good non-con schedule has a high RPI and SOS. A great one also prepares you for conference play.
Profile Games: In addition to the (ideal) 2 significant home games, there should be a relatively high-profile non-con tourney and at least 1-2 other games that can attract some eyeballs. I'd say there should be a minimum of 5 nationally televised games.
Recruiting: This is a secondary concern, but playing in fertile recruiting grounds makes sure you expose your product to quality prospects. I also like the UNC plan of playing "homecoming" type games for their out-of-state recruits. I think it's a good sign to incoming kids when they know that the school will make an effort to let their friends and family see them play live.