PDA

View Full Version : Controlled Scrimmages vs. Exhibition Games

Orlando
04-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Since we have a new coach I figure the value of one vs the other is on the table for discussion since we don't know how he will play it. I know Duke has always done the exhibitions and not the scrimmages so I am curious to see what direction we take.

I can see the attraction of a controlled scrimmage. The coaches have the ability to control what they work on and can point the scrimmages to need areas. However, I prefer the exhibitions. There is a serious difference in playing in NBA style arenas and high school gyms. A poorly attended game for Marquette is probably larger than any crowd the young kids have played in front of. I like playing two games that don't count to get the young kids acclimated to the environment. As we saw last year if the early season cupcake games don't go as planned, you can rob your young players of some important development. Despite what some people think losing the exhibitions does not hurt you at all, so it really gives you the chance to throw your young players into the deep end without taking any risks. Many DI power teams have lost these games and gone on to have great seasons.

The other thing I like about the exhibitions is that they are better for the fans. You get to see what the product looks like. People are chomping at the bit for info and when the team does the controlled scrimmages, the thirst for information inevitably leads to insider leaks that are either too optimistic or too dire. I have never heard somone say the scrimmage went OK. We were either world beaters or we sucked. I would rather just see for myself. I also believe that DII and DIII teams that are playing like it is their Super Bowl provide some pressure that a unviewed scrimmage against another D1 team does not. I really enjoyed the UW-Stevens Pointe game that one year and they gave a very good Marquette team all they could handle.

Lastly, if the gate from the exhibition games allows us to play more home and homes and fewer 300-350 RPI teams that can only help. Anyway, those are the reasons, I prefer exhibitions. Whot does everyone else think.

TheSultan
04-10-2014, 09:59 AM
How did the early season cupcake games not go as planned last year? By my count, there were 6 of them at the BC. The only one remotely close was New Hampshire, Southern was never much in doubt, and four were complete blow outs. This doesn't include the Fullerton game that was a cupcake, but a tournament game.

Orlando
04-10-2014, 10:24 AM
How did the early season cupcake games not go as planned last year? By my count, there were 6 of them at the BC. The only one remotely close was New Hampshire, Southern was never much in doubt, and four were complete blow outs. This doesn't include the Fullerton game that was a cupcake, but a tournament game.

OK. You think the cupcake games went as planned and I do not. What is your opinion on the controlled scrmmage vs exhibition discussion? By the way, I don't want to look for it, but I did read an article this year where Buzz said that one of the reasons the freshman were slow to come around was because the early season bye games were closer than he expected and they did not get the minutes or the reps in them that he had anticipated. That was all I meant.

Nukem2
04-10-2014, 10:44 AM
OK. You think the cupcake games went as planned and I do not. What is your opinion on the controlled scrmmage vs exhibition discussion? By the way, I don't want to look for it, but I did read an article this year where Buzz said that one of the reasons the freshman were slow to come around was because the early season bye games were closer than he expected and they did not get the minutes or the reps in them that he had anticipated. That was all I meant.
Yeah, those first games along with the Ohio State game in between were real struggles. MU only had a 4 point lead in mid 2nd half versus Southern when Southern went cold for a bit. MU went on to win by 7.

As for the exhibition vs. scrimmage question, I think doing one of each would be a good alternative and one which many schools ( including Bucky ) follow. That way, the guys get acclimated, fans can see the team, the AD department gets more $$ and the coaches get their controlled scrimmage.

TheSultan
04-10-2014, 12:32 PM
What is your opinion on the controlled scrmmage vs exhibition discussion?

I can see the positives and negatives of each. Whatever the coach finds most valuable.