PDA

View Full Version : OT: Embiid to enter NBA Draft

mufan2003
04-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Good news for the Bucks. Another one of the potential top 5 declares.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10757074/joel-embiid-kansas-jayhawks-enter-nba-draft

Goose85
04-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Hopefully Parker declares as he is the guy I want the Bucks to get.

Parker - Wiggins - Embiid - Exum - ???
Is Vonleh a better pro prospect than Randall?

warriorfan4life
04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Thought that he was a monster and Kansas would win it all before he got hurt, but a bad back on a big guy is the reddest of red flags. Teams picking in the top five cannot afford to miss, and this back situation makes Embiid a 50-50 proposition. If he stays healthy, he could be another Hakeem. However, it is just as likely that he will be another Greg Oden (and Oden was also a fabulous player before all of his knee issues).

Goose85
04-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I agree on Embiid, stay away. Plus I think next season is supposed to be a great year for centers (assuming a lot of one and dones).
Worried about Randall too.

Really need that #1 pick and I hope it is Parker.

Big story last night about the Pacers sitting their starters. Well, not by design, but the Bucks only played one of the players that were to be their starting lineup this year, and that was Knight. Starters were supposed to be Knight - Mayo - Butler - Ilyasova - Sanders, with Ridnour, Neal, Giannis, Henson, Delfino, Pachulia and Middleton off the bench.

It may not be by design, but the Bucks needed this poor season, and now can't miss on their first round pick.

warriorfan4life
04-10-2014, 10:56 AM
I agree on Embiid, stay away. Plus I think next season is supposed to be a great year for centers (assuming a lot of one and dones).
Worried about Randall too.

Really need that #1 pick and I hope it is Parker.

Big story last night about the Pacers sitting their starters. Well, not by design, but the Bucks only played one of the players that were to be their starting lineup this year, and that was Knight. Starters were supposed to be Knight - Mayo - Butler - Ilyasova - Sanders, with Ridnour, Neal, Giannis, Henson, Delfino, Pachulia and Middleton off the bench.

It may not be by design, but the Bucks needed this poor season, and now can't miss on their first round pick.

Randle reminds me a lot of Carlos Boozer. He is a good volume offensive player and a very good defensive rebounder, but is otherwise useless on the defensive end. I think he will score 18-20 points per game, but give up just as much at the other end.

Nukem2
04-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Thought that he was a monster and Kansas would win it all before he got hurt, but a bad back on a big guy is the reddest of red flags. Teams picking in the top five cannot afford to miss, and this back situation makes Embiid a 50-50 proposition. If he stays healthy, he could be another Hakeem. However, it is just as likely that he will be another Greg Oden (and Oden was also a fabulous player before all of his knee issues).
All true, but I don't think these other likely candidates are the next Kevin Durant either. Suspect any of these guys is a real risk at the very top of the draft.

warriorfan4life
04-10-2014, 11:10 AM
All true, but I don't think these other likely candidates are the next Kevin Durant either. Suspect any of these guys is a real risk at the very top of the draft.

True, but there is a huge difference between borderline all-star and total washout. I believe that Embiid has the highest ceiling in this class, but being a total washout is a very real proposition. I think Andrew Wiggins could be a Paul George type, and losing out on that for someone that never stays healthy really sets back a franchise. I think Jabari Parker could be something between a Big Dog and Paul Pierce, and that is one of the 2-3 key pieces that a top team has. Now, once you get to guys 6-10, you then have to gamble on Embiid on being a healthy superstar. I would take his upside over guys who will be good pros but likely not all-stars (Vonleh, Smart, Gordon).

Gato78
04-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I would not touch Embiid that early in the draft. His knees look like they are about to invert. Greg Oden waiting to happen?

mufan2003
04-10-2014, 12:51 PM
I am undecided on Embiid, but another team may take him if the Bucks end up with the worst case scenario at pick #4 or pick #5. I hope Parker comes out as well and would love him in a Bucks uniform.

mufan2003
04-12-2014, 03:29 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vSadteflk9Y?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wpU98SDd46o?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Highlights of Dante Exum.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I have a feeling in 10 years, someone will either look very, very smart for taking Embiid or very, very dumb. He's the epitome of a boom or bust pick, with the odds very slim that he will simply be somewhere in between.

AbovetheRim
04-12-2014, 10:16 PM
I have a feeling in 10 years, someone will either look very, very smart for taking Embiid or very, very dumb. He's the epitome of a boom or bust pick, with the odds very slim that he will simply be somewhere in between.

+1. Use recent history as a baseline. It's been 15 years since picking a Big #1 has resulted in a subsequent championship. This market, in particular, can't handle "risky." Too volatile as it is. Take a look at attendance, need instant impact. Giannis was a good start. Need to follow that up with a slam dunk. Hopefully that exists in this draft.

ziggysfryboy
04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
saw something this morning from sportscenter: the Brewers have more road wins (6) than the Bucks (5).

Goose85
04-14-2014, 04:29 PM
saw something this morning from sportscenter: the Brewers have more road wins (6) than the Bucks (5).

And that makes me happy as both a Brewers and Bucks fan.
Keep winning Brew Crew, and go get Wiggins or Parker Bucks!