PDA

View Full Version : UMass guard Derrick Gordon comes out as first openly gay male D-I basketball player

CaribouJim
04-09-2014, 10:55 AM
http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/04/09/umass-derrick-gordon-comes-out-openly-gay/?eref=sihp

UMass guard Derrick Gordon has come out as the first openly gay male college basketball player in D-I history. He told his teammates on April 2, a few days after telling his parents, according to a story by Kate Fagan of espnW.com.

Just before Gordon broke the news at a team meeting, UMass coach Derek Kellogg told his players, “We’re all here together, and we need to love each other for who we are,” he said. “One of your family members, your brother, wants to let you know something about himself.”

Gordon said that he drew inspiration from previous players who have come out as gay in other sports, such as NBA player Jason Collins and Michael Sam, a star football player at Missouri.

“It was a rough process, actually, leading up to this,” Gordon told ESPN. “Those guys just helped me get to where I am right now. If it wasn’t for them, I’d be stuck. For this to be happening right now, me coming out, it’s an indescribable feeling, honestly. I couldn’t be any happier. I feel like I can fly.”

Gordon, a starter for UMass last season, averaged 9.4 points and 3.5 rebounds per game last season. He posted the picture below on Instagram on Wednesday morning with the following comment:

“This is the happiest I have ever been in my 22 Years of living…No more HIDING!!!…Just want to live life happy and play the sport that I love…Really would love to thank my family, friends, coaches, and teammates for supporting me….I would also like to thank my support team Wade Davis, Jason Collins, Brian Sims, Micah Porter, Anthony Nicodemo, Patrick Burke,Billy Bean, Gerald McCullough, Kirk Walker…You guys are AWESOME!!! Ready to get back in the gym with my teammates and get on the GRIND and get ready for next season!!!! #BETRUE #BEYOURSELF #HONEYBADGER”

Markedman
04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
I can’t wait for the first transgender player to come out….now that will be news!

CaribouJim
04-09-2014, 12:14 PM
I can’t wait for the first transgender player to come out….now that will be news!

Wasn't there a woman transgender player in women's college ball recently? Non surgical situation.

mutpm
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm happy we have gotten to a point in time where people don't have to "hide". With that said, this will only continue to be a story because ESPN is always going to refer to him as the first openly gay NCAA basketball player. I hope his play on the court will define him, not the label of his sexuality

CaribouJim
04-09-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm happy we have gotten to a point in time where people don't have to "hide". With that said, this will only continue to be a story because ESPN is always going to refer to him as the first openly gay NCAA basketball player. I hope his play on the court will define him, not the label of his sexuality

I'm confident that is going to be the case in short order, at least I hope so.

MarmooskaJig
04-09-2014, 10:08 PM

Did u know todd mayo was oj mayos brother?