PDA

View Full Version : UConn v. Kentucky

Goose85
04-07-2014, 10:30 AM
A 7 seed v. an 8 seed. Really, these are not your 30th ranked teams in the country.

UConn and Kentucky have won more titles in the past 20 years than any other schools.

In the last 20 years, UConn has won 3 titles and Kentucky has won 3 titles.

Duke, North Carolina and Florida have all won 2 titles in the last 20 years.

The Big 10 (Mich State) and Big 12 (Kansas) conferences have won but one title in the last 20 years, with the Pac 12 winning 2 (UCLA / Arizona).

Who picks up their fourth title in the past 20 years?
I will cheer for UConn, but I think Kentucky wins it.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Neither of these teams had a great regular season... They are a perfect example of what getting hot at the right time can do for you.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
According to Pomeroy, coming into the tournament Kentucky was ranked #17 and UConn #25. While both had indicators they could go on such a run, they weren't exactly underseeded. Kentucky had the bad loss to South Carolina and was 1-5 against the top-25 RPI. UConn had a lower RPI than Kentucky but was better against the top-25 (3-4), however finished fifth in their league and got absolutely destroyed (81-48) by Louisville just 8 days before Selection Sunday.

Clearly Kentucky had a lot of raw talent, and UConn had arguably the best guard play in the country, but their seasons leading into the tournament wouldn't have been very good indicators that either was going to go on this kind of run. Besides, previous accolades aren't a good indicator of how good the current team is. Look at Kentucky the past 3 years, from title to first round NIT loss back to title game.

I'll be cheering for Kentucky because I feel I owe them for beating Bucky. That said, I think UConn wins. Ever since the St. Joe's game, people have been looking past the Huskies. After tonight, I don't think anyone will be looking past Shabazz.

MU/Panther
04-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Neither of these teams had a great regular season... They are a perfect example of what getting hot at the right time can do for you. I would say UConn did. Maybe not great, but pretty good.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-07-2014, 11:08 AM
I think UConn is a great indicator of why guard play is huge come March. Shabazz and Boatright are studs. Last year it was Russ Smith & Peyton Siva cutting down the nets. Kemba in 2011, Nolan Smith & Jon Scheyer in 2010...it's not the case that the best backcourt wins the title every year, but it sure doesn't hurt.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I would say UConn did. Maybe not great, but pretty good.

Good yes, not great... They lost to Louisville by 33 late in the season. Nobody had them has a top contender for the title.

mufan2003
04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
Napier and Boatright are about 6'0" or 6'1" but they both have NBA guard skills right now. They can shoot the 3 off the dribble, can contort their body at the rim and finish with either hand, they can create for others. They have been really impressive but not sure if they can win given Kentucky's size, athleticism.

Phantom Warrior
04-07-2014, 04:54 PM
I am kind of surprised Calipuri doesn't post up the Harrisons. Not only are they generally at least three to four inches taller than their defender, they are also much stronger. I can't see either Napier or Boatwright being able to defend either Harrison on the low block. But I don't expect that to happen. The twins' m.o. is to drive from the arc.

mufansince72
04-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Some rumors out there that Calipari may be the next head coach of the Lakers. If so, Buzz jumped too early, and Shakawatch will begin again.

mufansince72
04-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 9m
The Cal/Lakers story is now overshadowing the game...and conspiracy theories on LeBron to the Lakers are running wild.

unclejohn
04-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Some rumors out there that Calipari may be the next head coach of the Lakers. If so, Buzz jumped too early, and Shakawatch will begin again.

I have a hard time seeing either Buzz or Shaka as a good fit at Kentucky.

pbiflyer
04-07-2014, 10:04 PM

What would stop Buzz from putting his name out there?