PDA

View Full Version : Question on LF

Phantom Warrior
04-06-2014, 11:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Luke has three and a half years of eligibility left.

So if he plays second semester of 2014-'15 to use up half a year, does that mean he can play all of '15-'16, '16-'17, and '17-'18?

Or, does he just have three years of eligibility left? If that's the case, he would only be eligible in '17-'18 for first semester?

Can someone clarify his situation?

I'm curious because I was thinking about Maymon. He transferred mid-year and sat out a year, then played second semester. I know he was also injured and red-shirted, but he was still eligible for this entire season.

AlexJesswein
04-07-2014, 12:10 AM
He cannot play at all in 17-18

warriorfan4life
04-07-2014, 12:44 AM
LF has two and half years left unless he redshirted next year or could be ruled immediately eligible for the start of next season. I hope that Marquette makes a perfunctory attempt at getting Luke eligible for the start of next season in lieu of the Josh Smith ruling at Georgetown. Not expecting it to happen, but it's worth the chance for it to happen.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Maymon played 2 1/2 years at UT, the same Fischer is eligible for here. The only way he could play more is to either sit out all of next year which would leave him with 3 full years or if he was injured like Maymon which would let him push a year back. There are no half-years on the NCAA clock, so last year was his full freshman year and this upcoming season will be his full sophomore (barring redshirt) year.

Nukem2
04-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Semester-wise its 2 1/2 years. Numerically, its more like 2 2/3 years, assuming he starts playing after Finals (12/13): 18 conference games and probably 3 NC games. So, 21/31 = 68% of total regular season games. Unfortunately, Luke will miss the better NC games unless MU can get ASU later in December...?

Phantom Warrior
04-07-2014, 11:33 AM
It's a stupid rule. In essence, he gets to play only three years, not four. Yet if he'd stayed at IU this past semester and transferred to MU this summer, he'd have had to sit out all of next season, but he would have had three more years of eligibility, meaning he could have played four years instead of three.

In essence, he loses an entire year of playing because he decided to transfer mid-year. Where is the frickin' logic in that?

TheSultan
04-07-2014, 11:37 AM
It's a stupid rule. In essence, he gets to play only three years, not four. Yet if he'd stayed at IU this past semester and transferred to MU this summer, he'd have had to sit out all of next season, but he would have had three more years of eligibility, meaning he could have played four years instead of three.

In essence, he loses an entire year of playing because he decided to transfer mid-year. Where is the frickin' logic in that?

That's why it is pretty dumb for a player to transfer mid-year under most circumstances. I mean if LF wasn't happy, and he wanted to get playing ball ASAP, tranferring mid year made sense. But if his goal was to play basketball for four years, then he should have stuck it out at IU.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-07-2014, 11:43 AM
That's why it is pretty dumb for a player to transfer mid-year under most circumstances. I mean if LF wasn't happy, and he wanted to get playing ball ASAP, tranferring mid year made sense. But if his goal was to play basketball for four years, then he should have stuck it out at IU.

Exactly. It is the player's choice. Do you want a full four years of eligibility? If so, finish the season then transfer. Or are you willing to sacrifice a year to get a clean start and start playing somewhere else as soon as possible? If so, transfer mid-season. Fischer made his decision. I'm fine with that and the rule.

IWB
04-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Or, he could transfer at semester, sit out 1 1/2 years and have three full years left. All depends on how you play it.

Phantom Warrior
04-07-2014, 04:44 PM
I realize some guys don't want to spend a fifth year in college, which could be a factor.

But that doesn't change the fact that the rule is absurd. There is absolutely no reason that the NCAA can't change it to a semester basis - a kid gets to play eight semesters, whether he transfers at the end of the year or mid-year.

Unfortunately, as my mother used to tell me when I was in my teens, there is no Ministry of Logic.

TheSultan
04-07-2014, 04:57 PM
I realize some guys don't want to spend a fifth year in college, which could be a factor.

But that doesn't change the fact that the rule is absurd. There is absolutely no reason that the NCAA can't change it to a semester basis - a kid gets to play eight semesters, whether he transfers at the end of the year or mid-year.

Unfortunately, as my mother used to tell me when I was in my teens, there is no Ministry of Logic.

To be honest, I don't think that makes a great deal of sense.