PDA

View Full Version : Perspective on coaching changes

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 10:08 AM
For Marquette fans who have been upset about the "steppingstone" title some would like to put on the school this might be a good read. http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/danny-manning-accepts-wake-forest-offer-leaves-tu-after-only/article_66075e1e-bbf7-11e3-b7d0-0017a43b2370.html

Basically most universities will see a coach leave for only a handful of reasons:

(1) high level success
(2) failure to win
(3) the money chase
(4) the coach self-destructs either for morals issues or because of an oversized ego

Most of the time it's a combination of the four.

IWB
04-06-2014, 11:12 AM
The Tulsa World - Makes me wonder why I never asked you this Tulsa, do you know Terry Tush?

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 11:56 AM
I can't answer that question publicly because of my involvement in the federal witness protection program. A lot of people back there know me by another name.

As to the issue I raised can anyone think of another category for a coach leaving? Bielema seems like a combination of money and ego. The other guy at Arkansas made the mistake of having his mistress on the payroll and riding a motorcycle with her on a country road. I think Kevin O'Neill kept chasing the bash ring and stepped on too many toes along the way. Sean and Eddie Sutton had problems with substance abuse. (to their credit they have talked about the issue publicly)

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-06-2014, 12:02 PM
I'd say emotional ties. Roy Williams left not because of success (though he had that) or money (though he got that) but because he really wanted to be at UNC.

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Yep, Roy Williams would fit in another category.

Another general factor to consider when you try to understand a coach leaving is what can be at times the radical difference between the public image and the reality co-workers face. Being in media for years I can tell you some of the anchors you're grown to love over the years are and were SOB and DOB's to co-workers. You would not believe the dichotomy. Some anchors you could see changing with the ego just getting way out of hand over the years.

unclejohn
04-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Some guys get burned out or retire and then resurface. Dick Bennett did at Wisconsin. Lou Henson retired from Illinois and ended up taking over New Mexico State. That was after a big scandal, and it was his alma mater, so that probably falls under the Roy Williams category. But somebody like Left Dreisel bounced around a lot. He left Maryland under a cloud, but then did well at James Madison before moving on to Georgia Southern. Some guys quit and miss the coaching, or they just are not comfortable where they are. What surprised me a couple years ago was the coaches seemingly moving down voluntarily. The guy from LSU who beat us in the OT game against Stanford jumped to TCU, and that was when they were still in the Mountain West supposedly on their way to the Big East. They finally landed in the Big 12, so it was not a drop through the floor. But he replaced the guy who left TCU to go to Ohio. Definitely a step down. And now that guy is on his way somewhere else. So Buzz to VT is not unprecedented.

MU/Panther
04-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Tubby Smith left Kentucky to Minnesota.

TheSultan
04-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Tubby Smith left Kentucky to Minnesota.

He could read the writing on the wall.

Markedman
04-06-2014, 02:59 PM
I would also say not seeing eye to eye with an AD/administration is another reason they sometimes move.......ie Frank Martin

warriorfan4life
04-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Also, there is the Oliver Purnell move every 6-7 years philosophy.