PDA

View Full Version : Article on Doc and the Clippers

Goose85
04-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Yahoo sports has an article on how Doc Rivers worked with Chris Paul to improve his game and improve the Clippers offense.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/doc-rivers-encouraged-chris-paul-to-give-the-ball-up--and-the-clippers-are-flourishing-as-a-result-222717381.html

One point that was made is something that drove me nuts with MU last year. Doc asked Paul to give the ball up earlier and think of passes like hockey assists.
Last year it seemed MU's point guards would have to bring the ball up court and start the offense once they were nearing the top of the key instead of trying to get the ball up court faster (doesn't have to mean fast break).

From the article
"Rivers was asking him to give up the ball early and only sometimes get it back later, requiring a new level of trust in his teammates.

And then Rivers asked for even more. When Paul was sidelined with a shoulder injury for 18 games in January and February, Rivers urged him to consider giving up the ball even earlier, while still in the backcourt. Paul smiles thinking about the term Rivers used: the hockey assist. "Sometimes it's about the pass that leads to the pass," says Paul"

Side note: I'm not a Bulls fan like many of the Chicago MU fans, so I didn't realize that Thibodeau was once an assistant on Doc's staff.
Thibodeau has been very impressive with the Bulls, especially considering no Rose.

CaribouJim
04-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Side note: I'm not a Bulls fan like many of the Chicago MU fans, so I didn't realize that Thibodeau was once an assistant on Doc's staff.
Thibodeau has been very impressive with the Bulls, especially considering no Rose.

Thibs is still greatly appreciated in Boston - still gets claps when he is introduced in the Garden. Thibs is very similar to Buzz in how driven they are and that they sometimes don't know when to take the foot off the gas.

Thibs should be in the running for the coach of the year again.

unclejohn
04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Thibs took over the year the Big Three all went to Miami, so people were not expecting the Bulls to be all that good. Instead, they were one of the best teams in the league and might have won it all if Rose had not been hurt. Then the next year, they were not supposed to be any good without Rose. But they made the playoffs and played well. Then this year, they were supposed to be better with Rose back, but he got injured again, but the team is still playing well. Thibs gets the maximum amount out of his team.