PDA

View Full Version : Importance of S&C Coach

TheSultan
04-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Reading this article on Frank Kaminski, especially toward the end when he talks about the off-season conditioning that he went through this year, it makes you wonder how much the change in UW's S&C coach has made a difference this year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24512451/frank-kaminsky-embraces-fun-image-but-became-great-behind-hard-work

That is why I am glad we have Todd Smith and hope that he sticks around.

IWB
04-04-2014, 08:58 AM
That made an absolutely huge difference with that team.

I had said before that there was a player from UW that I was asked to evaluate for smaller pro opportunities. He had no muscle and his conditioning was poor, and this was only weeks after he finished his career there. I was shocked. You can see it in their team, you can see it in the individual players - the new guy has had a huge impact.

The Reptile
04-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I work for a client who was a baseball walk on at Florida so naturally we got to talking about hoops. I made a similar comment to him that I thought that one of the things that made the badgers a better team today than in past years was their new emphasis on S&C.

TedBaxter
04-04-2014, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure there has been an article this year on it in the Madison newspaper and that's a surprise.

ziggysfryboy
04-04-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure there has been an article this year on it in the Madison newspaper and that's a surprise.

That would imply that St. Bo was doing something wrong before. Pravda wouldn't want that to happen.

S&C has come a long way from hand squeezers, eh?

CaribouJim
04-04-2014, 11:56 AM
S&C has come a long way from hand squeezers, eh?

That is for sure. For a lot of older guys on this board, we remember the days that if you played b-ball, you weren't even allowed to look at weights less you become too bulked up. Almost the same for baseball.

Look at pictures of MJ at UNC and even the first 2-3 years in the NBA - certainly didn't look like the same guy from mid-career on.

Then you look at a guy like Wesley Matthews - he had an NBA body almost from day one although even he added some defined muscle before his time was over at MU.

S&C has become so sophisticated for all sports now including nutrition and stretching.

unclejohn
04-04-2014, 12:34 PM
I talked to Mac before one of the games. He said weight lifting was just coming in when he was playing, and even then, it was "be careful, and don't ruin your shot."