PDA

View Full Version : More Radio

mufansince72
04-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Stole this from Chitownal

Getting more press and radio coverage - great for the program - I don't know if any of the other candidates would have had this juice... Friday:

Marquette Men's Basketball
4 hours ago
Radio tour for Coach Wojciechowski continues on Friday. Tim Brando Show at 10:30 a.m. CT, Bill Michaels Show at 11:20 a.m. CT, David Glenn Show (statewide in NC) at 11:35 p.m. and Jay Mohr Show at 12:15 p.m. CT.

Halo
04-03-2014, 11:31 PM
He's crushing it!

unclejohn
04-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Some credit to Scott Kuykendal who no doubt is setting some of these up.

mufansince72
04-03-2014, 11:58 PM
Some credit to Scott Kuykendal who no doubt is setting some of these up.

No Doubt!

IWB
04-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Except that Scott turned us down.

CaribouJim
04-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Except that Scott turned us down.

Not big enough??

MU/Panther
04-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Tim Brando baby!!

IWB
04-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Not big enough??

Likely - Don't get me wrong, I have no issues being turned down when the national media gets him, no problem at all. I have no issues when I get turned down when he is on ESPN Milwaukee as that is the MU basketball flagship.

But when people who haven't covered an MU game all year, not one single game, not one single media availability or press conference get him on? Then I do take offense to it.

Since we started our "little radio show" we have had guests that included.... Brad Autry, Jeff Reynolds, Issac Chew, Jerry Wainwright, Jamie McNeilly, Lyle Wolf, Sandy Cohen, Nick Noskowiak, Marial Shayok, Satchel Pierce and Ahmed Hill. With the exception of Wainwright, I would bet that at least two of the local shows that had him on the last couple of days would not have any idea who those guys are.

End rant.

For now.

CaribouJim
04-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Likely - Don't get me wrong, I have no issues being turned down when the national media gets him, no problem at all. I have no issues when I get turned down when he is on ESPN Milwaukee as that is the MU basketball flagship.

But when people who haven't covered an MU game all year, not one single game, not one single media availability or press conference get him on? Then I do take offense to it.

Since we started our "little radio show" we have had guests that included.... Brad Autry, Jeff Reynolds, Issac Chew, Jerry Wainwright, Jamie McNeilly, Lyle Wolf, Sandy Cohen, Nick Noskowiak, Marial Shayok, Satchel Pierce and Ahmed Hill. With the exception of Wainwright, I would bet that at least two of the local shows that had him on the last couple of days would have any idea who those guys are.

End rant.

For now.

Maybe when the dust settles after the national radio road show concludes he will throw us a bone.

Marquette
04-04-2014, 09:07 AM
I have only listened to Jimmy's show twice, but he shouldn't have to be thrown a bone, he has already proven that he is better than the local hacks.

TheSultan
04-04-2014, 09:10 AM
My guess it is more about exposure than it is the quality of the interview.

Marquette
04-04-2014, 09:26 AM
True but you should never bite the hand that feeds you and he has done more for MU over the years than anyone but the PR guy probably has no idea about that.

Goose85
04-04-2014, 09:48 AM
I have only listened to Jimmy's show twice, but he shouldn't have to be thrown a bone, he has already proven that he is better than the local hacks.

The key is Jim has been able to get the guests that MU fans want to hear. Local guys probably don't even know who Shayok or Hill were, or even who the assistant coaches were, yet Jim had them on which appeals to the MU faithful. Great stuff IWB.

MU/Panther
04-04-2014, 10:09 AM
I will flip it this way. Wojo is very busy, I would wait untill the dust settles and bring him on Brew City Radio "Inside the Al." In May or so, when we would have new questions for Wojo. Odds are there might be 1 to 3 new players on the team, that we never heard of today.

ChitownAl
04-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Since we started our "little radio show" we have had guests that included.... Brad Autry, Jeff Reynolds, Issac Chew, Jerry Wainwright, Jamie McNeilly, Lyle Wolf, Sandy Cohen, Nick Noskowiak, Marial Shayok, Satchel Pierce and Ahmed Hill. With the exception of Wainwright, I would bet that at least two of the local shows that had him on the last couple of days would not have any idea who those guys are.

End rant.

For now.
I caught that when you said that on your radio show and felt for you Jimmy. I agree. You do a great job for MU fans, and should get some consideration.
The PR lineup of preferred questioners at the Intro Presser was questionable IMHO, especially the lamebrain woman who asked a ? about WI and took the focus off of the new coach and MU program. Some of you may defend that, but I thought it was disrespectful and diminishing of the focus of the presser - totally borrowed interest.

UJ, as for hard work by the MU PR department, I bet they are getting calls from the stations at this point because of Coach W's name recognition and background. Have not seen nor heard of them selling an interview in Chi Metro with 19,000 alum fan base, but maybe I'm wrong - should be a priority. Whatever, they need to keep selling after the initial blush is over... let's see what their story hooks are and how many placements they get 4/15 - 10/15. I have been critical of that group for a long time because IMHO their work is not aggressive and we have had more than our share of PR mishandling. Jimmy I hope my viewpoint on this board doesn't get you in any trouble in the Wells St. Bunker - MY rant.

MU/Panther
04-04-2014, 12:55 PM
The women was Stephanie Sutton from WISN-channel 12.

WarriorNich
04-04-2014, 02:59 PM
The women was Stephanie Sutton from WISN-channel 12.

Great story about Stephanie Sutton. During my days as a sports intern (at a different station, in a different market) I would get to go to Packer locker availability. Mike Wahle was famous for staring down at the floor during locker room interviews. After an embarrassing 47-27 loss at home to Tennessee on Monday night, the Packers were 1-4. In the reporter gaggle, Stephanie asked Wahle "Is the team's goal still to make the playoffs?" Wahle looks up, stares at Sutton with a WTF look on his face, says nothing, looks back down. The interview then continued with another reporter asking a different question.

For the record, the Packers finished 11-5 that year and did make the playoffs.

ChitownAl
04-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Out of habit, I read my hometown newspaper every day via the Internet and listen to some radio via internet streams, but I seldom see TV unless I'm up there visiting. Is Stephanie Sutton any good (per Warrior Nich, and her UW question, she sounds like an airhead)? Does she cover MU much or well?

Otherwise, it sounds like IWB said that some of the preferred questioners were never around at MU pressers before, yet had some clout to be allowed question...
my guess us she doesn't cover or know much about MU and is a typical TV talking head

IWB
04-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Just an FYI - Nobody was a "preferred questioner". MU had people on each side of the media rows with microphones. If you had a question, you motioned to them and they got you the mic. At an event like this most people will only ask one question and let others have their chance. You won't typically see the student media ask questions at an event like this, but I believe one did.

At a typical media event you will have the same guys usually asking questions. Those people are usually Hunt, me & Gruman.

At a post game you will have a lot more students asking questions, as well as any TV personality that is there.

ChitownAl
04-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Thanks Jim for clarification. From watching the stream, I thought that it was perhaps more stage-managed because of who asked questions and I am wrong. I counted (trying to do from memory now... which is weak;) 2 from 540 (Homer and someone else who identified himself as from the flagship station), Mike Hunt from JS, Tom Pippins from local TV station, Ms Sutton from local TV station, OnMilwaukee.com, Channel 4 WTMJ-TV (?) and PaintTouches.com [2 part question with 2nd on "analytics"] for a total of 8 and then they shut it down. I hope that you get your day with Coach Steve soon... Looking forward to it.

MU/Panther
04-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Out of habit, I read my hometown newspaper every day via the Internet and listen to some radio via internet streams, but I seldom see TV unless I'm up there visiting. Is Stephanie Sutton any good (per Warrior Nich, and her UW question, she sounds like an airhead)? Does she cover MU much or well?

Otherwise, it sounds like IWB said that some of the preferred questioners were never around at MU pressers before, yet had some clout to be allowed question...
my guess us she doesn't cover or know much about MU and is a typical TV talking head

No, she is not an airhead. Does do highlights well of MU. She did a 1 on 1 with Wojo on the newscast.

WarriorNich
04-04-2014, 07:26 PM
No, she is not an airhead. Does do highlights well of MU. She did a 1 on 1 with Wojo on the newscast.

She gets by on air but talk to people in the business about working with her behind the scenes. That's all I'll say.

jpvegas52
04-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Another interview Grant hill with talk about Wojo, thinks he will be a great coach. Reports Wojo turned down Dayton job 3-4 years ago. Grant Hill say he will buy a Marquette jersey.

http://tbd.radio.cbssports.com/2014/04/03/grant-hill-steve-wojciechowski-will-be-a-great-coach/

Mucrisco
04-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Stephanie Sutton knows more about what it means to be an athlete than most people on this board. She is not an airhead.

ChitownAl
04-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Glad you guys like her. Would like to see the 1 on 1 interview with Coach W. I'll take it she is a pro, but her question at MU's Presser was a disrespectful, borrowed interest question taking away from the focus of the presser and pandering to Badger fans... kind of like if a reporter asked Bo Ryan in a FF interview about the hiring of a new coach at MU and that rivalry. But I understand what Crisco says about her understanding of athletes as well as where she's coming from on her presser per her station bio: "A graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, she credits her love for sports to her athletic background. In 1987, Stephanie and her sister were Wisconsin State High School Doubles Champions in tennis."

Read more: http://www.wisn.com/tv/news-team/Sports-Reporter/10399158#ixzz2xytdfQfZ

MUAlphaBangura
04-05-2014, 07:16 AM
Stephanie Sutton knows more about what it means to be an athlete than most people on this board. She is not an airhead.

Unfortunately Stephanie Sutton doesn't know more about what it means to be a good sports reporter than most people on this board. And I agree, she is not an airhead. I was at the press conference and I gotta say there was a lot of people saying WTF when she asked that question about UW in the final four.

Nukem2
04-05-2014, 09:29 AM
I watched the event and heard the question(s) from Sutton. It was really more about rivalries and Wojo handled it well. No big deal.

ChitownAl
04-05-2014, 10:00 AM
If she wanted to talk about rivalries, she could have asked about the BE, ND, made it open ended - who do you see are the rivalries? - she may not be an airhead, but her question was an airhead question and inappropriate IMHO. Friends that I have talked to who had watched were similar in reaction to AlphaBangura. It was the worst, most stupid question of the presser. I should know better about my home state and the bias, including media bias. Pax.

Nukem2
04-05-2014, 10:05 AM
If she wanted to talk about rivalries, she could have asked about the BE, ND, made it open ended - who do you see are the rivalries? - she may not be an airhead, but her question was an airhead question and inappropriate IMHO. Friends that I have talked too who watched were similar in reaction to AlphaBangura. It was theworst, stupidest question of the presser. I should know better about my home state and the bias, including media bias.Maybe a "stupid" question, but much ado about nothing. Time to move on from this one.

MUAlphaBangura
04-05-2014, 12:34 PM
If she wanted to talk about rivalries, she could have asked about the BE, ND, made it open ended - who do you see are the rivalries? - she may not be an airhead, but her question was an airhead question and inappropriate IMHO. Friends that I have talked to who had watched were similar in reaction to AlphaBangura. It was the worst, most stupid question of the presser. I should know better about my home state and the bias, including media bias. Pax.

This. Thank you Al.

pbiflyer
04-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Maybe a "stupid" question, but much ado about nothing. Time to move on from this one.

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question..........just stupid people asking questions. :p