PDA

View Full Version : Big East Next Year?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Anyone know how the league will be next year? Stronger? Weaker? I know we will lose some star power with Doug McDermott being gone, and Creighton may struggle some... I'd imagine Seton Hall, and DePaul will stay in the cellar... And I just saw news that Chris Obekpa is leaving St. John's... Could it be a down year? Has Semaj Christian made a choice to stay or go from X?

Goose85
04-03-2014, 02:00 PM
A very good recruiting year for the league. According to Scout there are 14 top 100 players committed to the Big East not including MU. Five top 50 players.

Seton Hall had a huge recruiting year as did Providence and Georgetown.

I think Butler, Creighton, DePaul and now maybe St. John's will be at the bottom end. DePaul could be the best of that bunch.

Hopefully Georgetown, Xavier, Villanova and Providence will be really good. MU and Seton Hall after them looking for NCAA bubble status.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 02:04 PM
A great recruiting class is a good start, but that likely means a stronger league 2-3 years from now and not this year... I think MU is a year out from getting back into the tournament... That said maybe there was something to all this Buzz stuff and the players will be more loose and play better.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-03-2014, 02:09 PM
PC loses their 3 main guys don't they? That's tough for any program to recover from.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 02:11 PM
They get Kris Dunn back which helps... Losing Cotton will really hurt though...

Smitty
04-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Work with some STJ guys and they are hearing that Lavin is considering Cal.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Saw that on twitter a few days ago... Lavin isn't great, but I'm not sure who they will get that will dramatically change their course.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 02:19 PM
It looks like Villanova will stay strong, they only really lose Bell and they bring in two 4* guys... They will likely be the anchor of the Big East for a few years, if we could just get them to win some tournament games...

MUMac
04-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Saw that on twitter a few days ago... Lavin isn't great, but I'm not sure who they will get that will dramatically change their course.

Actually, I could see Howland there.

warriorfan4life
04-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Christon is going pro, but X returns everyone save for him and Isaiah Philmore. They also bring in an awesome recruiting class with consensus top 100 players in Trevon Bluiett and Makinde London, plus 100-150 guys Edmond Sumner and J.P. Macura. The final member of the class, Sean O'Mara, could be a nice replacement for Stainbrook down the line.

Seton Hall could actually be pretty good, as they add an excellent recruiting class headed by top 15 player Isaiah Whitehead and top 50 player Angel Delgado (though I believe that Delgado is a risk to qualify). They also return three of their best players from this past year's group (which was pretty dangerous in their own right) in Sterling Gibbs, Patrik Auda, and Brandon Mobley, and Jaren Sina had a solid freshman season and could be a real weapon as their designated shooter next year.

I think Butler could be fairly capable next year, as they return everyone but Fromm and Marshall and more importantly get Roosevelt Jones back. I think Andrew Chrabascz could be a standout player next year (excellent efficiency stats as a frosh), and hope that a year of experience will work out some kinks in Elijah Brown's game (basically, that shooting the ball does not have to be his first, second, and third option). Not a great recruiting class coming in, and they need to get some of the talented Indianapolis transfers (Eron Harris, Ronnie Johnson, Jeremy Hollowell) on the market.

Nova will be awesome again, as they return everyone but James Bell. I think that Josh Hart can capably replace him, and I look for incoming freshman Phil Booth to give them another perimeter shooting threat off the bench. Also, I really like potential of Dylan Ennis and think he could blossom as an upperclassman.

I think Georgetown could be pretty good, but they could use an immediately eligible PG to add to their backcourt depth. Anthony Lee also would have been awesome for them, but he elected to choose Ohio State. Really like DSR, think Cameron and Trawick are solid wing players, and their recruiting class is the best in the conference (and Peak, White, and Coepland all had great senior seasons).

Providence loses Cotton and Batts, but get a healthy Kris Dunn back (hopefully at least) and also have a strong recruiting class coming in (Lindsay, Bentil, and Chukwu could be a dynamic front line for them once they mature). I am hoping that top remaining PG Devonte Graham signs with them in the spring.

MU/Panther
04-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I look for Seton Hall to be good next year. That team the past two years has been playing with seven guys. Who knows what could happen with a full roster.

CaribouJim
04-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Actually, I could see Howland there.

That would be something.

MU/Panther
04-03-2014, 02:30 PM
PC loses their 3 main guys don't they? That's tough for any program to recover from.PC will lose Cotton & Batts. They should return Harris, Henton & Desrosiers.

warriorfan4life
04-03-2014, 02:32 PM

Why the hell is Cal considering Lavin? The conference should only be so fortunate. Maybe the Johnnies could then get a coach in there who can successfully build a program. Also, if the Johnnies pay anything around market rate, I think they could have a nice pool of candidates to choose from.

MUBasketball
04-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Christon is going pro.

I shouldn't be shocked by kids jumping too early, but wow I have no idea with Christon is thinking. He is nowhere near ready. I don't know where the mock drafts have him listed (if at all), but I would be shocked if he got drafted.

MUBasketball
04-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Why the hell is Cal considering Lavin? The conference should only be so fortunate. Maybe the Johnnies could then get a coach in there who can successfully build a program. Also, if the Johnnies pay anything around market rate, I think they could have a nice pool of candidates to choose from.

Lavin is a disaster without X and O guru Mike Dunlap on his staff. Cal is pretty damn desperate if they try to hire him.

TheSultan
04-03-2014, 02:41 PM
I shouldn't be shocked by kids jumping too early, but wow I have no idea with Christon is thinking. He is nowhere near ready. I don't know where the mock drafts have him listed (if at all), but I would be shocked if he got drafted.

Mid-second round. And I agree with you simply because he is going to have some talent around him next year.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-03-2014, 04:33 PM
PC will lose Cotton & Batts. They should return Harris, Henton & Desrosiers.

What about Henton? Thought he was a senior? I really liked his game.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Christon is going pro, but X returns everyone save for him and Isaiah Philmore. They also bring in an awesome recruiting class with consensus top 100 players in Trevon Bluiett and Makinde London, plus 100-150 guys Edmond Sumner and J.P. Macura. The final member of the class, Sean O'Mara, could be a nice replacement for Stainbrook down the line.

Seton Hall could actually be pretty good, as they add an excellent recruiting class headed by top 15 player Isaiah Whitehead and top 50 player Angel Delgado (though I believe that Delgado is a risk to qualify). They also return three of their best players from this past year's group (which was pretty dangerous in their own right) in Sterling Gibbs, Patrik Auda, and Brandon Mobley, and Jaren Sina had a solid freshman season and could be a real weapon as their designated shooter next year.

I think Butler could be fairly capable next year, as they return everyone but Fromm and Marshall and more importantly get Roosevelt Jones back. I think Andrew Chrabascz could be a standout player next year (excellent efficiency stats as a frosh), and hope that a year of experience will work out some kinks in Elijah Brown's game (basically, that shooting the ball does not have to be his first, second, and third option). Not a great recruiting class coming in, and they need to get some of the talented Indianapolis transfers (Eron Harris, Ronnie Johnson, Jeremy Hollowell) on the market.

Nova will be awesome again, as they return everyone but James Bell. I think that Josh Hart can capably replace him, and I look for incoming freshman Phil Booth to give them another perimeter shooting threat off the bench. Also, I really like potential of Dylan Ennis and think he could blossom as an upperclassman.

I think Georgetown could be pretty good, but they could use an immediately eligible PG to add to their backcourt depth. Anthony Lee also would have been awesome for them, but he elected to choose Ohio State. Really like DSR, think Cameron and Trawick are solid wing players, and their recruiting class is the best in the conference (and Peak, White, and Coepland all had great senior seasons).

Providence loses Cotton and Batts, but get a healthy Kris Dunn back (hopefully at least) and also have a strong recruiting class coming in (Lindsay, Bentil, and Chukwu could be a dynamic front line for them once they mature). I am hoping that top remaining PG Devonte Graham signs with them in the spring.

You're such a geek and I love it!