PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches

jpvegas52
04-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I know most head coaches like to form their own staff, but do you think there's a chance any of the current staff stay on? I've heard Brad Autry probably will not be following Buzz , (seems he wants to expand his coaching tree) to VT, but chew most likely will. Any chance one or both stay on, Autry seemed to be our Wisconsin contact, while Chew is our Chicagoland contact. I would like him to retain one or the other, preferably Autry, just don't know if he will.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Also by simply getting a verbal commitment from the asst coach, as opposed to having him sign a contract right away, I think he is able to evaluate for a longer period of time. I'm pretty sure that's how Buzz went about hiring his assts as well.

Markedman
04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
RT @zhayes9: Hearing it's likely Chris Carrawell will be on Wojo's staff. Played with/for him at Duke, now Nets D-League asst.

milkbone
04-01-2014, 06:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Carrawell

TedBaxter
04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Like the St. Louis and Catholic school backgrounds. Solid career as both a player and coach.

DowntownSweeney
04-01-2014, 07:49 PM
I would take a good look at Lamont Paris at Wisconsin. Promote him to a 2nd assistan and bump his pay. He found Hayes and brown in Ohio for Both. Would have the added benefit of hampering

DowntownSweeney
04-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Wisconsin's recruiting

DowntownSweeney
04-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Sorry about the typos

warriorfan4life
04-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Sweeney, I actually thought about Wojo trying to lure Greg Gard. It will never happen in a million years, but I do believe that Gard (and Paris) have to work extra hard recruiting for Bo. He has clearly proven to have a great eye for Bo's system.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-02-2014, 01:34 PM
I've heard both Shane Battier and Rick Brunson mentioned as possibilities.

Marquette
04-02-2014, 01:39 PM
I know most head coaches like to form their own staff, but do you think there's a chance any of the current staff stay on? I've heard Brad Autry probably will not be following Buzz , (seems he wants to expand his coaching tree) to VT, but chew most likely will. Any chance one or both stay on, Autry seemed to be our Wisconsin contact, while Chew is our Chicagoland contact. I would like him to retain one or the other, preferably Autry, just don't know if he will.

Where did you hear that Autry probably won't follow Buzz?

Litehouse
04-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Getting Battier to work with STJ would be great.

jpvegas52
04-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Where did you hear that Autry probably won't follow Buzz?

Was on the premium board here and on Scout's premium board the in all likelihood Autry would not be following Buzz.

04-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Was on the premium board here and on Scout's premium board.

Which in general is a good indicator that it shouldn't be posted on the public board ;)

IWB
04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
That would be correct.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
For those not on the premium board, what are you waiting for?

A heck of a lot more info on an ongoing basis and a heck of a lot more insightful discussions. Make the move - it's a worthwhile investment.

jpvegas52
04-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Oops, sorry, won't do it again.

kneelb4zerg
04-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Oops, sorry, won't do it again.

Actually I think this is my fault, I was the one blabbing about this over on scout today. Sorry, should've known better, just forgot where I had got the info from.

Markedman
04-03-2014, 02:41 PM
ok anybody got the scoop on this guy?

Chad Groth ‏@areacodes 4m
Rumors flying around in Dallas @FinalFour that @trigonis30 could be headed to Marquette. The best kept secret to getting players.

MUfan12
04-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Here's an article on him from last fall- http://www.lamag.com/citythink/citythinkblog/2013/09/25/dinos-trigonis-is-the-little-big-man-of-boys-elite-basketball

TheSultan
04-03-2014, 02:44 PM
ok anybody got the scoop on this guy?

Chad Groth ‏@areacodes 4m
Rumors flying around in Dallas @FinalFour that @trigonis30 could be headed to Marquette. The best kept secret to getting players.

http://www.lamag.com/citythink/citythinkblog/2013/09/25/dinos-trigonis-is-the-little-big-man-of-boys-elite-basketball

Hmmmm.....

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 02:50 PM
http://www.lamag.com/citythink/citythinkblog/2013/09/25/dinos-trigonis-is-the-little-big-man-of-boys-elite-basketball

Hmmmm.....

So sounds like the guy has connections... Would imagine he won't do much X and O work... If he can pull in some recruits it's fine by me... But then we definitely need to get an X and O guy on the bench

dw3dw3dw3
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
That's quite the story, I don't know what to think.

TulsaWarrior
04-03-2014, 03:21 PM
A lawyer on the coaching staff would be valuable.

04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Sounds like he'd fit the recruiting bill. I do think you have to wonder about his actual coaching ability, but I can't imagine there are many people with more AAU ties.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Sounds like he'd fit the recruiting bill. I do think you have to wonder about his actual coaching ability, but I can't imagine there are many people with more AAU ties.

I worry about the bad relationship with Nike, although it seems shoe companies really only get involved with the 5* type guys so that won't affect MU much

TedBaxter
04-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Very, very well connected and has been doing this for years.

IWB
04-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Well - he has been doing the tournaments for years.

I don't know anything about this guy other than that article, but here is an easier way to put it. Would you want NY2LA's Antonio Curro to take up one of the Assistant Coaching positions? I see this as a very similar deal.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 03:57 PM
I guess I don't know anything about Curro either... I know vaguely what he does but don't know how well connected he is... I do wonder how many west coast guys he could convince to come over... That said if he can truly recruit then I'm okay with it...

warriorfan4life
04-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Well - he has been doing the tournaments for years.

I don't know anything about this guy other than that article, but here is an easier way to put it. Would you want NY2LA's Antonio Curro to take up one of the Assistant Coaching positions? I see this as a very similar deal.

Dinos also has run the Belmont Shore AAU team for a long time, so that would differentiate him from Curro. Very intrigued by this, and it tells me that Wojo is thinking the right ideas.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 04:03 PM
AAU guys always concern me a little bit because that is such a dirty world they play in... Hard to know if this guy is on the up and up.

MUfan12
04-03-2014, 04:06 PM
AAU guys always concern me a little bit because that is such a dirty world they play in... Hard to know if this guy is on the up and up.

That was one of my thoughts as well.

I know the DBO position does not go out and recruit, but how much can they assist in recruiting from the office? Would he be able to facilitate recruiting activities for the coaching staff?

04-03-2014, 04:12 PM
I also wonder how those ties would hold up after a few years on a bench. If he can't translate connections to blue chip recruits quickly, it seems like that luster could fade.

TedBaxter
04-03-2014, 04:51 PM
They can coordinate the recruiting effort and do most of the leg work in identifying prospects while on campus.

pbiflyer
04-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Yeah, there is something about those guys that run tourneys. Pro-AMs, etc. :D

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Yeah, there is something about those guys that run tourneys. Pro-AMs, etc. :D

so you heard the rumor about IWB as an assistant too? I was shocked at that one... Wojo said he wanted to do things the right way at Marquette and then hires that sleezeball... Guy can even run a clean message board...I mean I'm certain he had to pay someone to learn how to embed that YouTube clip, he can't be trusted.

TedBaxter
04-03-2014, 05:38 PM
So sounds like the guy has connections... Would imagine he won't do much X and O work... If he can pull in some recruits it's fine by me... But then we definitely need to get an X and O guy on the bench

The Director Of Basketball operations position cannot have any on court coaching contact, so it's more of an administration job where you are charting practices and in this case, being a recruiting coordinator.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-03-2014, 05:42 PM
The Director Of Basketball operations position cannot have any on court coaching contact, so it's more of an administration job where you are charting practices and in this case, being a recruiting coordinator.

I know, I don't think they intend to bring him in as the DBO... That was something another posted asked. I'm pretty sure he will be an assistant if he is one of the guys.

TedBaxter
04-03-2014, 05:43 PM
http://www.codesite1.simplysmartwebs.com/dinos_trigonis.html

Markedman
04-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Based on his background I think DBO is more likely then assistant.........or maybe he won't end up here at all......I guess we will find out.

MUBasketball
04-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Would you want NY2LA's Antonio Curro to take up one of the Assistant Coaching positions?

I can't stand that guy.

Goose85
04-04-2014, 08:58 AM
I just worry that a guy like this is a recruiting violation waiting to happen. His connection isn't to kids, it is to AAU coaches, and in the past he is used to doing what it took to get these guys to play in his events.

It might be a good relationship for Wojo to have, like World Wide Wes, but I'm not sure that is what I want coaching and recruiting on staff for MU.

Marquette
04-04-2014, 09:27 AM
I agree with Goose, that guy has problem potential.

Markedman
04-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Chad Groth ‏@areacodes 19m
It's still in the works with @trigonis30 going to Marquette, I hear the details are being worked out.Gerry Freitas told me it's a done deal

DowntownSweeney
04-05-2014, 10:33 AM
I can't stand that guy.

+1 on that

Nukem2
04-05-2014, 10:34 AM
I just worry that a guy like this is a recruiting violation waiting to happen. His connection isn't to kids, it is to AAU coaches, and in the past he is used to doing what it took to get these guys to play in his events.

It might be a good relationship for Wojo to have, like World Wide Wes, but I'm not sure that is what I want coaching and recruiting on staff for MU.Yeah, it seems like a situation fraught with potential trouble. and, who knows what the past holds.

TheSultan
04-05-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm sure Wojo and Marquette are having those conversations and doing their due diligence. I don't really know the guy at all so I have no idea how he is viewed or what his past is like.

Phantom Warrior
04-05-2014, 11:13 AM
The article I read about him indicated a lot of parents feel like he is honest with them and looks out for their kids in an environment which is known for manipulation and exploitation.

The rest of the article made him seem like a hustler, but if he really does put kids first, then I would have mixed feelings about him.

Of course, a major question is what would be his position at MU - assistant coach, director of basketball operations?

But the bigger question, at least to me, is what are his qualifications to coach high major players if, indeed, it's an assistant coach position.

TheSultan
04-05-2014, 11:16 AM
I can't see why you would hire a guy like that if he isn't going to be out recruiting. Those very well might be the only qualifications that Wojo feels he needs.

warriorfan4life
04-05-2014, 11:44 AM
I personally think that the Dinos idea is intriguing (and he's also an AAU coach to go along with being an event organizer), but the Final Four combined with Twitter equals rumors gone amuck. We will see if this actually comes to pass, but I would guess that all new coaches are rumored to have about 30 different staff members right now.

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 12:02 PM
The Bullseye Brothers are saying there are tons of crazy, unfounded rumors floating around about Marquette assistant coach candidates. I would trust their observation.

TedBaxter
04-06-2014, 12:04 PM
What rumors?

04-06-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm sure a few of them are real. The question is knowing which are and which aren't.

TedBaxter
04-06-2014, 12:11 PM
The only names I've seen tweeted are Carawell, Brunson and Trgonis.

Phantom Warrior
04-06-2014, 12:32 PM
As far as Tragonis, his appeal might not be as a recruiter.

Remember, he has a law degree, so mentally he's probably not chopped liver. Plus, he has put together quite an operation...from scratch...which show a lot of organizational and management skills. Creating what he has created without the assistance of one of the shoe companies, is pretty impressive.

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Tragonis would have to divest himself of any ownership of camps and AAU events. That could take time.

MayorBeluga
04-06-2014, 12:47 PM
The Bullseye Brothers are saying there are tons of crazy, unfounded rumors floating around about Marquette assistant coach candidates.

Why should it be different than the head coaching search?

ge1974
04-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Isn't Dino Tragonis a west coast guy? How will Marquette, being in Milwaukee, be able to successfully recruit the west coast?

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 12:59 PM
Tragonis is a national guy with contacts from coast to coast that go back decades. Other than that he has absolutely no contacts.

CaribouJim
04-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Isn't Dino Tragonis a west coast guy? How will Marquette, being in Milwaukee, be able to successfully recruit the west coast?

The Terry Reason era.

ge1974
04-06-2014, 02:20 PM
The Terry Reason era.

6'10, 180 lb Mike Davis during the Majerus era was another beside Terry "Purple Haze" Reason.

MUMac
04-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Don't forget David Boone, who was from San Francisco and played 2 years at St. Marys.

ge1974
04-06-2014, 02:31 PM
Tragonis is a national guy with contacts from coast to coast that go back decades. Other than that he has absolutely no contacts.

Thanks for the wise-ass comment Tulsa. Here is more on Tragonis and his west cost ties:

"As much true believer as self-promoter, Trigonis has become the leading power broker of Los Angeles’s high school basketball scene, staging as many as 25 events each year, most packed with soon-to-be college players and NBA lottery picks.">

“Everyone involved with L.A. high school basketball, whether it’s the coaches, parents, or the players, knows who Dinos Trigonis is,” says Frank Burlison, the respected Long Beach Press-Telegram sportswriter who left the paper to operate Burlison on Basketball, a sports blog and scouting service. “His brand is almost nationwide now…. Playing at one of his events really matters.”

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 06:01 PM
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings ge. It was a bit snarky -- I'll work on improving my etiquette. That said, Trigonis is better connected than AT & T.

ge1974
04-06-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings ge. It was a bit snarky -- I'll work on improving my etiquette. That said, Trigonis is better connected than AT & T.

Care to comment on how you know this or are you just guessing? Link?

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 08:17 PM
This is what he has been organizing for years. He meet a lot of coaches and players. http://www.fullctpress.net/fullctpress.html

I don't know how you disconnect from the business aspect of all this.

ge1974
04-06-2014, 09:58 PM
By your link, it appears Dinos is primarily a west coast and Vegas guy. I was looking from you to give more evidence on him being a "national guy".

TulsaWarrior
04-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Have you seen the Vegas event? It attracts teams from across the country. It's a Recruiting supermarket. I don't know if this guy is a candidate for an assistant coach position and I really will leave that up to Wojo. I just know the guy is huge on the AAU circuit nationally. Take a look at the schools subscribing to his newsletter. That should give you a good idea of the scope of his contacts. Since he runs and has a business pursued business interest in them I wonder if he can divest that interest quickly to make a transition like the one that is rumored. Seashells and balloons.

dw3dw3dw3
04-07-2014, 09:30 AM
New article on Mr. Trigonis's relationship with Deandre Daniels.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/deandre-daniels-is-finally-thriving-at-uconn-after-a-bizarre-recruiting-odyssey-222825782.html

Goose85
04-07-2014, 11:34 AM
We all know Buzz left and is now being paid by Va Tech.

While Buzz has left, only Jerry Wainwright is still in the building.

Question about the other assistants - How do their contracts run? Are they mostly year to year, and if so do they run through the end of the school year?
If Autry or Chew had a multi year contract, I would think MU will paying them until they find another job.

IWB
04-07-2014, 12:15 PM
I believe they all get paid through June.

MayorBeluga
04-07-2014, 12:17 PM
If Autry or Chew had a multi year contract, I would think MU will paying them until they find another job.

Do they even have contracts? Or are they at will employees of the university?

Just a guess, but if they have contracts, it's probably year to year as an assistant in this business. I would not be surprised if the contract also has an out: if the boss leaves, your contract can be terminated at will by the university.