PDA

View Full Version : Player reactions

MU Viking
04-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Here's a thread to look at what players' reactions will be on social media and elsewhere...

Jake Thomas ‏@JakeThomasTwo3 25m
It is April Fools Day. So I'll 100% believe it tomorrow..#mubb

Dylan Flood ‏@imdtf24 2h
Awesome hire by Marquette getting Steve Wojciechowski as the new basketball coach. Really excited to see how it's going to work out! #mubb

Markedman
04-01-2014, 02:52 PM
MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB 24s
First thought that popped into Luke Fischer's head after hearing about @steve_wojo: "We got the right guy." #mubb #WeAreMarquette

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Nice! Any of the other current players commenting? Committed recruits?

Markedman
04-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches 1m
Jajuan Johnson will talk with his mom this week and coach Wojo before making a decision. Duane Wilson, OTOH, says he's here to stay.

Phantom Warrior
04-01-2014, 03:02 PM
I really want JJJ to stay. I think his potential is tremendous.

One thing I'm not concerned about is his following Buzz to V.T. Missou, on the other hand,.........

Markedman
04-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 2m
Marquette guard Jajuan Johnson says he's "most likely" staying at the school. #mubb

Phantom Warrior
04-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Time for the MU Twitter fans to start showing JJJ a lot of love. (I don't do Twitter.)

Markedman
04-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Coaching change worked out great for Wesley and Jerel.......could do the same for JJ.

Markedman
04-01-2014, 03:14 PM
MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB 27m
"I can learn a lot. It's going to be like a student in class with a professor learning & taking notes."-John Dawson pic.twitter.com/m6uxbrxT0H

MUMac
04-01-2014, 03:24 PM
MarquetteMBB ‏@MarquetteMBB 27m
"I can learn a lot. It's going to be like a student in class with a professor learning & taking notes."-John Dawson pic.twitter.com/m6uxbrxT0H

I would think someone like Dawson would love this hire. A former PG. One who knows what it takes. Love the response from Dawson!

Markedman
04-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Sounds like Taylor was going to leave if Buzz stayed.......He still isn't ruling it out....

Patrick Leary ‏@patrickkleary 6m
Steve Taylor was extremely candid about Buzz and how glad he was to have a new coaching situation. Said he has considered leaving #mubb.

Armen Saryan ‏@ArmenSaryan 5m
@patrickkleary considered in the past or is now?
Reply Retweet Favorite More Details
User Actions
Following

Patrick Leary
‏@patrickkleary
@ArmenSaryan he wouldn't rule it out. Wojo will help a ton, sounds like.

Goose85
04-01-2014, 03:36 PM
A reason why Buzz never stopped recruiting, had he chosen to stay at MU he would have had a few on the team leave, including Taylor despite wide open minutes at his position.

If Wojo can keep Taylor and JJJ from leaving, he may be able to keep the returning roster in place.
Then work on keeping Cohen too. Hill may be a long shot, but hopefully Wojo can work something out there.

ge1974
04-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Don't forget. Steve Taylor and Jabari Parker of Duke are buddies from high school so I'm sure Jabari has given Steve the lowdown on Wojo.

Goose85
04-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Don't forget. Steve Taylor and Jabari Parker of Duke are buddies from high school so I'm sure Jabari has given Steve the lowdown on Wojo.

Didn't Parker actually attend MU Madness two years ago to support Taylor?

Gato78
04-01-2014, 03:39 PM
DWade's reaction from ESPN

Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, a former Marquette standout, told ESPN.com that Wojciechowski is a "great hire" for his alma mater.

"I think it's a great hire from the standpoint of first of all, he's coming from an unbelievable, unbelievable background of coaches -- being coached under and with one of the best coaches of all time, a coach that I respect so much in Coach K," Wade told ESPN.com during a cover shoot for an upcoming issue of ESPN The Magazine. "And I had my had my time with Wojo in 2008, 2006 as well -- World games and then the Olympics. I think he's a young, fiery coach that has had success as an assistant coach for 15 years and now is ready to try his success as a head coach.

"So I think it's going to be a challenge, but I think this a great hire and it's a hire of someone they could grow with and you gotta have patience, and I think that Marquette has that patience. So I look forward to the time where I'm able to sit down with him and do whatever I can to help him with furthering the university that I love."

Markedman
04-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Steve not feeling the love from Buzz.....

Steve Taylor on Buzz leaving "I was OK with it. I'm not surprised he hasn't contacted me yet. I kind of saw that coming" #mubb

Goose85
04-01-2014, 03:42 PM
DWade's reaction from ESPN

Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, a former Marquette standout, told ESPN.com that Wojciechowski is a "great hire" for his alma mater.

"I think it's a great hire from the standpoint of first of all, he's coming from an unbelievable, unbelievable background of coaches -- being coached under and with one of the best coaches of all time, a coach that I respect so much in Coach K," Wade told ESPN.com during a cover shoot for an upcoming issue of ESPN The Magazine. "And I had my had my time with Wojo in 2008, 2006 as well -- World games and then the Olympics. I think he's a young, fiery coach that has had success as an assistant coach for 15 years and now is ready to try his success as a head coach.

"So I think it's going to be a challenge, but I think this a great hire and it's a hire of someone they could grow with and you gotta have patience, and I think that Marquette has that patience. So I look forward to the time where I'm able to sit down with him and do whatever I can to help him with furthering the university that I love."

Send that to Hill / Cohen / Stone / Noskowiak and any other recruit on the MU radar.
DWade still has a big time name.

Markedman
04-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Boom

Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches 3m
Derrick Wilson said he expects everyone on MU's current roster back next season. #mubb

mufansince72
04-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches 32s
Interestinf that Todd Mayo said Buzz Williams leaving was "a change that was needed." Wouldn't divulge further, but that's telling.

Orlando
04-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Steve not feeling the love from Buzz.....

Steve Taylor on Buzz leaving "I was OK with it. I'm not surprised he hasn't contacted me yet. I kind of saw that coming" #mubb

I never bought into the theory that Buzz was different then all the other coaches and was going to stay at Marquette forever and make us forget Al. However we won a lot of basketball games under him and did well in the tourney. Therefore I had no problem with him. To me that is kind of what it's all about. I don't want the coach embarrassing the university or cheating, but other than that I really don't care about his personality. Buzz always seemed a little cornballish for my tastes, but I did not care. He was winning.

All that being said the biggest revelation to me in the last two weeks has been how vindictive he is. The story about him in his first team meeting at Virginia Tech was a little shocking. It was almost as if, he labeled that kid soft and the kid proved him wrong so he was going run him out of his program and prove to everyone he was right. It was eye opening. Then he started really ripping Marquette's situation (conference and tv deal) in public. I have never heard a coach do that before. I have seen some coaches really treated unfairly and have nothing but positive things to say about their old school. It was like he wanted to make sure everyone knew that Marquette was flawed and deserved to be left. Now this tidbit about having no contact with Taylor. This was a kid who you made promises to in the recruiting process, who put all his faith in you and who worked hard for you for two years and you don't even think you owe him a phone call. Wow. That is cold. It's like he is punishing him for not living up to his expectations.

Like I said, I don't put coaches on pedestals. They are people not Gods. But I can honestly say his behavior has been a little disappointing to me. I can't imagine what the people who thought he was a saint are feeling.

Halo
04-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I never bought into the theory that Buzz was different then all the other coaches and was going to stay at Marquette forever and make us forget Al. However we won a lot of basketball games under him and did well in the tourney. Therefore I had no problem with him. To me that is kind of what it's all about. I don't want the coach embarrassing the university or cheating, but other than that I really don't care about his personality. Buzz always seemed a little cornballish for my tastes, but I did not care. He was winning.

All that being said the biggest revelation to me in the last two weeks has been how vindictive he is. The story about him in his first team meeting at Virginia Tech was a little shocking. It was almost as if, he labeled that kid soft and the kid proved him wrong so he was going run him out of his program and prove to everyone he was right. It was eye opening. Then he started really ripping Marquette's situation (conference and tv deal) in public. I have never heard a coach do that before. I have seen some coaches really treated unfairly and have nothing but positive things to say about their old school. It was like he wanted to make sure everyone knew that Marquette was flawed and deserved to be left. Now this tidbit about having no contact with Taylor. This was a kid who you made promises to in the recruiting process, who put all his faith in you and who worked hard for you for two years and you don't even think you owe him a phone call. Wow. That is cold. It's like he is punishing him for not living up to his expectations.

Like I said, I don't put coaches on pedestals. They are people not Gods. But I can honestly say his behavior has been a little disappointing to me. I can't imagine what the people who thought he was a saint are feeling.

First, a great quote from DWade. Tremendous endorsement. Secondly, your quote is spot on Gato about some message board fans of Buzz. Was really unhealthy I thought. Paterno-esque. The guy was a very good coach, but also very flawed. He's human like everyone else. Strange how some thought he walked on water.

mufansince72
04-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches 6m
Heard again at today's presser that Marquette signee Satchel Pierce,, if released from his NLI, is likely headed to VT to play under Buzz.

Litehouse
04-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Can we put restrictions on where players can go as a condition of letting them out of their NLI?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Can we put restrictions on where players can go as a condition of letting them out of their NLI?

I do not believe we can. Can only place restrictions on someone if they are under scholarship as a current member of the team. I could be wrong though. It sucks as we spent a $hit ton of money on recruiting those kids, esp Hill, and now they can potentially leave and go play for Buzz.

IWB
04-01-2014, 05:48 PM
Yes they can, but there is an appeal process in place.

Also, MU has never restricted a player outside the conference. In conference yes, but not out of conference.

unclejohn
04-01-2014, 07:32 PM

I am not going to badmouth Buzz. I really like the guy, I think he was a great coach at Marquette, and I wish he could have stayed. I did not feel the same way when Crean left. I was kind of relieved. The day he left, one of the people on Dodds' board wrote a tell-all post on the insider board that really ripped him. Nothing in it was all that surprising. Crean rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, and there were lots of stories of him treating people badly. That post just confirmed many of them. On the other hand, there are lots of stories of quiet acts of kindness from Buzz. Remember that a week before he left, we were all teary-eyed over the piece on CBS about Buzz's Bunch.

I do not put much stock in what coaches say when they accept a new job. Crean was a little over the top in his praise of Ix4, but then Crean was a little over the top with a lot of things. I mean, the guy would wake up in the morning after just an incredible night's sleep and take an amazing $#!+ before having an unbelievable breakfast. So I did not see his comments as an insult to Marquette. Nor do I see Buzz's. The only things he said about Marquette specifically were positive, and he side-stepped the question of why he left. He has to talk up his new job and new conference, and he can make a pretty good argument that the ACC is the strongest conference, it has the best coaches, and it gets better TV coverage than the Big East. As for how he treated the kid at his first meeting, Buzz has never made a secret of the fact that he is a tough guy to play for. He has said exactly that. He said just about the same thing to the kid from Chicago (Reggie Lewis?) who transferred after a semester. He did not make it back from Christmas, and when he called to tell Buzz he had car trouble or something, Buzz told him he would sign his transfer papers right then if he wanted. If this kid had wanted to stick around VT, he had the chance to do so. If he was going to stick around, he had to play for a coach who had already seen him in high school and was not impressed. Probably he'd be better off somewhere else.

Of course there are going to be stories coming out about Buzz, and not all of them are going to be positive. And people will now suddenly remember stuff that always bothered them, like that blow-up at McIlvaine his first year. But I still see the guy who won a lot of games, produced some great teams, put a bunch of guys in the NBA, and did a whole lot of good things for people. Sure, maybe he talked about it a bit too much, more than I would. But I am not him. That is his personality. I think if Cottingham was still here, he would be as well. But that was not to be. So let us move on. It may well be that things turn out for the best for everybody.

MarmooskaJig
04-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Thats why Crean is so weird, who in the heck takes an amazing sh!+ BEFORE an amazing breakfasts??!! Smh

MarmooskaJig
04-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Thats why Crean is so weird, who in the heck takes an amazing sh!+ BEFORE an amazing breakfast??!! SMH