PDA

View Full Version : Title game.....

IWB
04-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Ok, I have two questions.....

1) Anthony Davis - Yes, the guy has unusual eyebrows, forcing many to call him a unibrow. My question is, why is it ok for people to make fun of this? The headline on CBSSportsline this morning is "Take a Brow". They had students with fake unibrows on, and even the Wildcat mascot had a unibrow on at one point. Why is this ok? If the guy had a giant mole on cheek, would the CBS Sportsline lead have been "One Mole Title for UK"? Why wasn't the title of the lead story "Ugly Ass Stud Wins Title"? I just don't understand why, with all of the political correctness crap out there, that this is ok.

2) Call - no call? Kansas made a run late in the game, and with about a minute and a half to go, pulled to within 5. Then it happened, the turnover on a play that would have pulled it to within two. Kansas is called for traveling, on a shot attempt that went in. I thought, no question, he left the ground, but then when watching the replay, once in the air he realized he was stuck, and started a dribble before his feet touched the ground. I looked around the net and found several people arguing the call from both sides. Funny, on a Minnesota site they explain that the same thing happened with Wisconsin, yet the Badgers were not called for it. So what is the right call? Travel or not?

CaribouJim
04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I think the big reason for the unibrow to be fair game is that Davis himself embraces it and won't trim it because he wants to be an example for those kids that get bullied for having one and I think his mom teases him about it as well. I'm pretty sure that is the reason. Maybe someone else can confirm.

As far as the "travel", I didn't think twice about it - thought it was a travel for sure - I'll have to revisit though. Didn't he shoot the ball after the whistle? Again, I'll have to take another look at it.

IWB
04-03-2012, 09:16 AM
I too said it was no question, until I looked at the replay, and that is when I noticed he threw the ball down. Hopefully one of our refs out there can answer. Or....maybe I should just contact an NCAA ref....

CaribouJim
04-03-2012, 09:31 AM
In any event, Johnson's hesitation was the equivalent of a coverage sack in football - wasn't officially a blocked shot, but Davis certainly made him think twice - like he was doing to KU all night long. Can't believe that he only won 6 games last year in highschool - how did they score off of him.

Markedman
04-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Did he dribble before he went up for the shot and then again as he came down? I only saw the replay and I just assumed he double dribbled.

It sure looked like a travel bgut I guess I'm not sure either.

MUMac
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
I did not see the play or replay - missed it. Question, though, what was his position before he jumped. My interpretation of the rule is once you leave your pivot foot, your options are to pass or shoot. To dribble legally, you must start the dribble prior to leaving your pivot foot.

IWB
04-03-2012, 11:23 AM
He had not established a pivot foot yet, just got the pass and went up.

I did send the question to a couple of NCAA refs, will see what their response is.

IWB
04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Here is an answer from an NCAA ref....

Yes, the ball must be released before a pivot foot is picked up, so as you described, it is a travel.