PDA

View Full Version : OT - Wisconsin v. Kentucky

TheSultan
03-31-2014, 08:36 AM
I know Wisconsin is a trendy pick and a hard match up for teams that don't see them very often, but I think Kentucky's size is going to cause them a lot of trouble. It seems like this year's Badger team handles quickness better than previous year's, but I am not sure if the length is going to be an issue for them.

And as for a rooting interest, I have to say that my brother the UW alum is very happy. And he has no room in his life for "message board idiots," so it is hard for me to root against UW. I watched Wade destroy Kentucky to get to the Final Four with him, and he was genuinely happy for me. I guess I need to return the favor. Bittersweet.

dubs98
03-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Would I rather listen to badger fans gloat or espn analysts continue to tell me how great that crook calipari is??? Reluctantly, go rhodents.

QuetteHoops
03-31-2014, 08:59 AM
I disagree. I think this badger team struggles defending quickness. Look at the problems that Indiana gave Bucky both games because of their quickness on the perimeter and ability to penetrate. Baylor had a ton of length but Bucky handled them easily. While Oregon had quickness on the perimeter and was able to exploit that before blowing it in the 2nd half. I actually think Wisconsin matches up with Kentucky very well. Florida ( at full strength now) and uconn on the other hand will give Bucky fits if they play.

ValiantSailor
03-31-2014, 09:18 AM
All SEC final. NC to FLA.

VS

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-31-2014, 09:20 AM
The way UK is playing right now, they will be tough for anyone. It took awhile, but this is the team the pundits expected in November. The key will be Frank. At this level, he's a matchup nightmare for anyone.

As far as rooting interest...let's just say if the Badgers were playing the aliens from Space Jam with the fate of the world hanging in the balance, I'd cheer for the aliens.

QuetteHoops
03-31-2014, 09:22 AM
The way UK is playing right now, they will be tough for anyone. It took awhile, but this is the team the pundits expected in November. The key will be Frank. At this level, he's a matchup nightmare for anyone.

As far as rooting interest...let's just say if the Badgers were playing the aliens from Space Jam with the fate of the world hanging in the balance, I'd cheer for the aliens.

Yup. Can't fathom having to watch Wisconsin win a national championship.

Nukem2
03-31-2014, 09:25 AM
Yes, Kentucky's size and length will be hard for Bucky to match up with. Thing with KY, though, is that they seem to have very slow starts in the tourney games and then adjust and wear opponents down. Against Bucky's shooters, that could be fatal early. Those frosh will have to play D from the start. Just glad those MI schools lost yesterday. 3 teams from the Big 10/11/12/14 would be unbearable.

03-31-2014, 10:44 AM
All SEC final. NC to FLA.

VS

I have a feeling this week no one will be talking about UConn as a viable contender. Sort of been a trend this tourney. Everyone in the media was looking forward to a St. Joe's/'Nova Philly showdown, but the Huskies spoiled the party, and did the same for 'Nova's second weekend dreams. Even without Niang, most figured ISU would still advance, again UConn poo-pooed on that. Michigan State was all but Sharpied into most people's Final Four, again UConn came through.

Against Florida, UConn will be big underdogs, never mind that they are one of two teams this season to beat the Gators. Granted, it was at home and Kasey Hill wasn't yet available, but it wasn't like Wisconsin who beat Florida without half the Gator rotation on the floor. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see them get Shabazzed. The Huskies could honestly cut down the nets next Monday. Guard play goes far this time of year, and they have the best backcourt in the nation.

Markedman
03-31-2014, 10:49 AM
I wonder if Luke Fischer could turn into a similar player to Kaminsky in a year or 2? We can hope…….

2012Warrior
03-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Randle could go for 30 or be in foul trouble the whole game. I have to imagine Frank guards their big guy. Randle is so strong and would overmatch Dekker and Hayes. However, I could see a few flops and 2 quick fouls on Randle. It will be an interesting game.

BLT
03-31-2014, 12:02 PM
If Bo wins it all, does he retire?

TheSultan
03-31-2014, 12:06 PM
If Bo wins it all, does he retire?

I don't think so. He looks to be going strong.

2012Warrior
03-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Plus they might be better next year.

03-31-2014, 01:05 PM
Plus they might be better next year.

If Kaminsky and Dekker don't go pro, I can't see any way they don't come in as preseason #1. Logically, at least. The hacks will probably vote for Coach K's team because of Okafor and Jones.

mutpm
03-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Or the next set of UK freshmen. If Frank comes back, they are top 5, probably top 3.

mufan2003
03-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Kentucky has been on the uptick since the SEC tournament. A team that played as individuals most of the year is now playing team ball. That is scary considering the size and talent they have. Wisconsin has surprised me a bit, thought Arizona would end their run. Anything is possible, but I would bet on a Florida/Kentucky final.

03-31-2014, 03:35 PM
Kentucky could tie the record as the lowest seed ever to win the title, along with the 1985 Villanova squad.

MUMac
03-31-2014, 04:02 PM
If Kaminsky and Dekker don't go pro, I can't see any way they don't come in as preseason #1. Logically, at least. The hacks will probably vote for Coach K's team because of Okafor and Jones.

I had that discussion with a badger friend of mine today. I said that Kaminsky has played himself into the NBA this year. His comment was that he should come back (solely to please the fans). I disagreed with him as I don't think Kaminsky's stock would be much higher than right now. (I was commenting on his pro prospect, not personal aspirations, admitedly). I likened it to others who came back to school and missed the opportunity. There is a brief window of opportunity in that league and potential is most important. He has demonstrated ability and potential. Eventually, my friend saw my point and agreed.

We both felt Dekker played himself back to college for next year. He is not ready.

TheSultan
03-31-2014, 04:04 PM
I have absolutely been blown away by Kaminsky this year. I never thought he would turn into the player he has become. I'm not sure how viable an NBA player he would be though.

MUMac
03-31-2014, 04:12 PM
I have absolutely been blown away by Kaminsky this year. I never thought he would turn into the player he has become. I'm not sure how viable an NBA player he would be though.

Height, can shoot from the outside, has an inside game. I think he has a decent shot. Better than some that have stuck in the past.

Phantom Warrior
03-31-2014, 04:30 PM
If Cauley-Stein plays and is near 100%, he could make life difficult for Kaminsky. Not only is he 7'0" and very long, but he is also quick. Kaminsky likes to take slower players outside and either shoot if they don't guard him closely or drive around them if they do. Stein is quick enough and athletic enough to defend Kaminsky on the perimeter, and he is tall enough and long enough to defend him on the low block.

Kaminsky has developed into a terrific player, but I have been real impressed by Cauley-Stein's defense the few times I watched him this year. If Kentucky does not have to give help on Kaminsky, they can concentrate on not giving Brust, Dekker, and Jackson open looks behind the arc.

I also think the size and strength of Kentucky's guards, the Harrisons and Young, will give UW's guards some problems when they attack the basket.

Finally, I think Dekker will be eaten alive if he tries to guard Randall. Hayes might have a better chance of preventing Randall from dominating the offensive glass.

All that being said, I think UW keeps the game extremely close, and down the stretch the Badgers pull it out. The just don't beat themselves.

CaribouJim
03-31-2014, 05:22 PM
Height, can shoot from the outside, has an inside game. I think he has a decent shot. Better than some that have stuck in the past.

Love his game - like you said, inside and outside, McHale footwork, doesn't force things, doesn't get rattled and seems like a great kid. I definitely see him sticking and contributing in the NBA - Charles Barkley certainly likes him as Charles is about the biggest McHale fan there is. Kentucky may throw a bunch of bodies at him making Saturday a challenge. I think he is the x factor in the game - if he is pretty productive they have more than a chance.

I picked UF and UW in the final with UF winning. Hard to root for either UK or UW though.

warriorfan4life
03-31-2014, 05:40 PM
I think Marcus Lee may the X factor for Kentucky (assuming no Cauley-Stein). Lee has the length and athleticism to give Kaminsky fits, but can he stay with Kaminsky's bag of tricks.

CaribouJim
03-31-2014, 07:14 PM
I think Marcus Lee may the X factor for Kentucky (assuming no Cauley-Stein). Lee has the length and athleticism to give Kaminsky fits, but can he stay with Kaminsky's bag of tricks.

Didn't they say Cauley-Stein had a stress fracture or that was just a possibility? I figured if it was a stress fracture he'd be a no go.

bergamont
03-31-2014, 07:33 PM
A report today said he's out for the tourney.

DowntownSweeney
03-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Its not hard to root for the cayuts if they are playing Wisconsin.

warriorfan4life
03-31-2014, 07:37 PM
Yeah, they said stress fracture was likely yesterday and I did not expect him back after that report. Re-affirms my thought of Lee as the X factor, as Dakari Johnson cannot guard Kaminsky outside and Julius Randle is not much of a defender himself. I think Alex Poythress could also potentially give Kaminsky issues, and has the length to potentially make up for Frank the Tank's height advantage inside.

MUfan12
03-31-2014, 11:06 PM
I can see Wisconsin frustrating Kentucky into some bad shots. If UK is patient, and uses their size advantage, I think they win. If they settle for jumpers, they're in trouble.