PDA

View Full Version : Strotman lectures us all on journalism

kneelb4zerg
03-28-2014, 09:36 AM
http://painttouches.com/2014/03/28/strotman-what-we-can-learn-from-the-shaka-smart-fiasco/

Give. Me. A. Break.

This guy is awfully smug for someone barely out of college.

Nukem2
03-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Strotty liberally uses the word "Source(s) in his various blogs. Often, that does not ring true sounding more like his personal opinion. He does some good work, but........

warriorfan4life
03-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Good writer when focused. Thinks he's the Shakespeare of sports writing, so should fit right in the tradition of the Dan Shaughnessy's and Mike Lupica's.

IWB
03-28-2014, 11:02 AM
If he had one ounce of the info I had, he would have ran with it. So would have Goodman, Parrish, Hunt etc.

Milwarrior
03-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Jim, can you confirm that anyone from MU made the trip to Virginia? Bullseye Bros seemed to suggest it never happened in their tweets yesterday.

TedBaxter
03-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Tom Pipines was on the Madison radio station this morning and they asked him about the Smart situation. He said the sources he had are extremely reliable and he was told it was a "done deal". He said this stuff happens, but he didn't doubt his sources and still doesn't.

IWB
03-28-2014, 11:38 AM
I know we did not have all of the identical sources, but I do believe that two of them may have been the same.

warriorfan4life
03-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Strotman is a perfect example of the culture where sportswriters make it all about themselves, and inflect their opinion into the news (and do not put the work in to gather information).

mufansince72
03-28-2014, 12:07 PM
If he had one ounce of the info I had, he would have ran with it. So would have Goodman, Parrish, Hunt etc.

I believe you and your sources Jim. The only thing that made me nervous through the whole Shaka courtship was the lack of guys like Goodman and Parrish picking up on it an running with it. My theory is that they would like to be "first" to break such a story. They often jump on reports from guys like you and run with them like they were their own. The lack of any commentary from these guys looking back on it was telling in my opinion. I assume Goodman or Parrish probably could pick up the phone and talk to Shaka, which is a source I assume you don't have. I assume they probably did that, and were told something along the lines "I am exploring it but am not going to leave". Hence - the reason they didn't jump on your story, but were first to have all the details of Shaka turning down the offer.

MUfan12
03-28-2014, 12:12 PM
On the flipside, and off the soapbox, Jim Owczarski from OnMilwaukee.com had a fair piece about this:

http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors/jimowczarski/marquettecoachingmediacoverage.html

From following him on Twitter, and reading his stuff on OMC, he's pretty good. Seems to put a lot of work in, too.

ATVSandKARATE
03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Good thing Strotty confirmed the Goodman report.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Reading between the lines, you are indirectly saying that some of your sources were Smart's camp.

Strottman claims he never wouldve run the story unless he had confirmation from Marq or Smart's camp and you claimed your sources were non-Marq. Therefore by process of elimination some of your sources were Smart's camp as you say he wouldve run with it had he had one ounce of your info. Correct?

Just doing my detective work. :)

TulsaWarrior
03-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Never reveal your sources unless they give you a release to do it. If you break that rule you will have fewer sources.

IWB
03-28-2014, 03:57 PM
A few things....

1) Sources were in Smart's camp? No, my sources were not in Smart's camp. I was saying that none of my sources were employees of Marquette University.

2) I would give up this site and completely back out of what I do before giving up any of my sources.

Edited: Removed my comment about Strotman's article. Heard from him and admit I misunderstood his comment.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Jim, Tulsa, of course I know you're not going to give up your sources. I was merely attempting to connect dots.

KalkBird
03-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Strotman exercises restraint and practices responsible journalism. Refreshing.

warriorfan4life
03-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Given that you are a huge douche, you are an expert on refreshing.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-29-2014, 06:32 AM
I'm glad Strotman wasn't covering Watergate. He would have been waiting a long time for sources inside the White House to confirm that one.

warriorfan4life
03-29-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm glad Strotman wasn't covering Watergate. He would have been waiting a long time for sources inside the White House to confirm that one.

Strotman is the definition of the armchair quarterback (and an ego that could fill many chairs). In the many years of Paint Touches, the only "scoop" I remember him having is that we were leading for JJJ heading into his 2012 Madness visit (and Jim also had the info, with the reasons why we were in good shape with him). If he was so damn concerned about being the top Marquette journalist, he should be working much harder to develop a 1/10th of that contacts that IWB has. Instead, he is happy trying to badmouth people as he preaches his way to the top.

kneelb4zerg
03-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Reminds me of a particular South Park episode

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTkedIUX8U

Marquette
03-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Didn't exercise restraint or practice responsible journalism when he was tweeting to Embiid during his recruitment that he should go to Kansas or Florida. Heard the coaching staff was pissed beyond belief about that one.

warriorfan4life
03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Didn't exercise restraint or practice responsible journalism when he was tweeting to Embiid during his recruitment that he should go to Kansas or Florida. Heard the coaching staff was pissed beyond belief about that one.

But he was being an objective journalist?!

CaribouJim
03-29-2014, 04:42 PM
...Chicos on his high horse again as well.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43300.0