PDA

View Full Version : The best read on the Shaka situation

TulsaWarrior
03-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye
What happened w/ Smart & Marquette is just a SICKENING indictment of how the coaching carousel works.

Roy knows recruiting and the college scene better than anyone at ESPN and any of the high profile Internet college basketball sites.

It helps explains on IWB and Channel 6 got burned.

mufansince72
03-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Well, I don't think he needs to call a national guy a ******* hillbilly.

jesmu84
03-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Roy Schmidt ‏@prepbullseye
What happened w/ Smart & Marquette is just a SICKENING indictment of how the coaching carousel works.

Roy knows recruiting and the college scene better than anyone at ESPN and any of the high profile Internet college basketball sites.

It helps explains on IWB and Channel 6 got burned.

But what does that mean? It's a comment with no explanation.

kneelb4zerg
03-27-2014, 10:56 PM
But what does that mean? It's a comment with no explanation.

Dude why don't you take the time to read up instead of expecting someone else to do the leg work for you

TulsaWarrior
03-27-2014, 11:08 PM
While I agree with Roy he did jump the shark in a couple of the personal comments.

eddiedswang
03-27-2014, 11:12 PM
For those fans old enough to remember, Mike Newell was the "hottest young coach on the scene" back in 1990 as he led his Arkansas Little Rock team during a six year period to numerous NCAA appearances and scared the big boys when they played. He was Shaka Smart before Shaka was Shaka. He had it all...

He cryptically accepted or didn't accept the MU job.....he got cold feet when he landed in Milwaukee to talk terms of his coaching assignment. He walked away citing that "his wife wanted to stay in Arkansas." Marquette was left holding the proverbial bag and ended up hiring the "Piano Man" Bob Dukiet and we endured years of misery until he was canned.

Yes....Marquette learned a lesson that I believe they are heeding during this experience with Shaka. There will be no Piano Man as our next coach. There will be thought behind awarding someone one of the most lucrative salaries in college coaching. He will be a stud. He will be what all of us as fans want.

And Shaka should read the Wiki history of the once white hot coaching commodity Mike Newell -- he left UALR for Lamar where he was run out of town....he bounced around as an NBA scout, minor league coach and the coach of Southern U of Shreveport for years. He then landed at Arkansas-Monticello and tooped out at the U of West Alabama. You don't stay HOT forever. This superstar coach fizzled away.

In the words of Mrs Bielema -- "karma." Spurning a great deal at MU will have its consequences. The light doesn't shine on you for a long time in this profession. Making a not so smart decison can have ripple effects for years to come.

Good luck Shaka...we can do better than you.

unclejohn
03-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Ah, Eddie. That is some exquisite bitterness there! I do not think the situations are exactly the same. Newell was not the star Smart is, and he certainly did not return to Little Rock and a $1 million + salary. He returned to UALR, where they built him a new practice facility, which frankly was probably better than what Marquette was using at the time, and he didn't have to share it with the ROTC.

But you are right that we can do better. We will wind up with a good coach, and he'll be better than Smart because he wants to be here.

jesmu84
03-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Dude why don't you take the time to read up instead of expecting someone else to do the leg work for you

Not sure why you're jumping down my throat about this. I've literally read every post in the last 48 hours. I can't see bulleye tweets as they are protected, if you're implying the information is there. I've listened to IWB's latest podcast. If anywhere it's stated what Shaka did today (beyond just saying no), I haven't seen it. I'm not even asking anyone to explain it, as long as I can be pointed in the right direction. I'm really being genuine here that I want to be informed and understand the situation. Not trying to be a jerk.

MUfan12
03-28-2014, 12:27 AM
According to Bullseye... he accepted Monday on the condition that a President was hired.

jesmu84
03-28-2014, 12:36 AM
According to Bullseye... he accepted Monday on the condition that a President was hired.

Thanks fan. What happened after that? Is that provided anywhere I can see it?

MUfan12
03-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Thanks fan. What happened after that? Is that provided anywhere I can see it?

They didn't get into any more detail beyond that.

jesmu84
03-28-2014, 01:33 AM
They didn't get into any more detail beyond that.

Ok. Thanks.

TedBaxter
03-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Some coaches can really coach. Some coaches know how to communicate with and develop players (limit transfers). Some coaches can work with their co-workers (coaches and staff). Some cogaches can recruit top 100-150 players. Some coaches can recruit top 100-150 players, but can also see the talent in a lesser known player and is willing to take that player. Some coaches can work with alums and generate interest. Some coaches cannot take criticism or see it as a negative, while others either ignore it or use it to motivate themselves and their players to improve.

The last 25 years of Marquette basketball has seen coaches with different styles who were excellent at some of these areas and poor in others. Need a guy who is well rounded in the positives with the players, who can recruit, develop and keep talent at the school and minimize the personality quirkiness we've seen. A guy you won't be defending all the time.