PDA

View Full Version : Masiello Won't Be USF Coach

Goose85
03-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Appears Masiello lied on his resume and never did graduate from Kentucky, but did go there for four years. Lost a million a year gig at USF.
Not sure if he will be back with the Jaspers.

Isn't it common for colleges to require all coaches to have their degree?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10675532/south-florida-bulls-kill-coaching-deal-steve-masiello-lying-resume

unclejohn
03-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Sure is. Some of them are smarter than others, I guess. Buzz picked up a masters in kinesiology at one of the places he coached. If you look at the bios of many of the Marquette assistants in recent years, many of them did the same thing, picking up a masters at some place they worked. I seem to recall that Crean almost added Tony Smith to his staff at one point, but couldn't because he had not graduated. Brian Barone for one left Marquette with one after playing five years. What strikes me about this is how dumb it is. I do not know how close Masiello was to finishing, but if he was there four years, you would have to think it would not be too far. And this has been a job killer in the past. See George O'Leary at Notre Dame. He had a degree, but got caught lying about having more than one. Oh, well. People are stupid sometimes.

79warrior
03-26-2014, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=Goose85;65148]Appears Masiello lied on his resume and never did graduate from Kentucky, but did go there for four years. Lost a million a year gig at USF.
Not sure if he will be back with the Jaspers.

Isn't it common for colleges to require all coaches to have their degree?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10675532/south-florida-bulls-kill-coaching-deal-steve-masiello-lying-resume[/QUOTE

I don't know for a fact that a degree is required. What is required is not to lie on your application. That is what got him fired per ESPN. Pretty f#ing stupid by him.

Markedman
03-26-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm sure they can come to some sort of arrangement.........

Joey Knight ‏@TBTimes_Bulls 45s
#Manhattan announces it has placed Steve Masiello on leave while he reviews his degree status with the University of Kentucky.