PDA

View Full Version : Isu/unc

MUMac
03-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Weird ending to the game. Clock does not start right away after ISU takes a 2 point lead with 1.6 left. UNC calls a TO when they get the ball into their side of the court. Officials go to the monitor and determine it did not start right away, game over. I really respected Roy Williams. The officials explain, he listens, does not argue and immediately turns to Hoiberg to congratulate him. Pretty bizarre, but the right call.

Markedman
03-23-2014, 06:43 PM
ACC having a tough tournament....Duke, NC, Syracuse, and NC state already out before the Sweet 16....only Virginia left......

Really a shame........:cool:

MUMac
03-23-2014, 06:46 PM
ACC having a tough tournament....Duke, NC, Syracuse, and NC state already out before the Sweet 16....only Virginia left......

Really a shame........:cool:

Don't forget Pitt. :cool:

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Felt bad for UNC that it ended that way. Obviously time should have expired, anyone watching could see that before the officials went to the monitor, but it just felt like a cheap way to end those kids' season. Good game though.

MUMac
03-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Felt bad for UNC that it ended that way. Obviously time should have expired, anyone watching could see that before the officials went to the monitor, but it just felt like a cheap way to end those kids' season. Good game though.

Not a cheap way. They had no business trying to call a TO in that situation. Should have taken the shot. Now, if they take the shot, make it and then in the review it is determined time ran out because the clock did not start, that would have been a tough way to end. As it is, best case scenario is .3 -.4 left on the clock with an out of bounds play near midcourt, on the side.

03-23-2014, 07:35 PM
It was cheap for that reason. Because the officiating error led Roy to think they had time to call a TO. And because frankly, if Britt looks up and shoots with 0.1 on the clock, it probably would have been waived off. Either way, their season shouldn't end sitting on the bench because of a clock operator error.

If the operator is on the ball, Roy never signals for a timeout and they at least get a Hail Mary shot. Those kids got screwed. Probably not out of a win, but out of a chance at one.

EDIT: And I'm not saying it was the wrong call. The call was right. But the timekeeper still screwed UNC, and that was wrong. You can't get that wrong in the final seconds of a game with national title implications.

MUMac
03-23-2014, 07:41 PM
It was cheap for that reason. Because the officiating error led Roy to think they had time to call a TO. And because frankly, if Britt looks up and shoots with 0.1 on the clock, it probably would have been waived off. Either way, their season shouldn't end sitting on the bench because of a clock operator error.

If the operator is on the ball, Roy never signals for a timeout and they at least get a Hail Mary shot. Those kids got screwed. Probably not out of a win, but out of a chance at one.

EDIT: And I'm not saying it was the wrong call. The call was right. But the timekeeper still screwed UNC, and that was wrong. You can't get that wrong in the final seconds of a game with national title implications.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. At the time the TO was called, the clock was showing 0's. At that time, the impression is that the game is over. The officials went to the monitor to see if the TO should have been granted with time left on the clock. To call it an officials error is either wrong or naive. It is the clock operator that erred.

You are off base on this one. The clock operator started the clock incorrectly. That, though, did not change the fact that UNC called a TO and the clock was showing 0:00.

Edit: I did not catch your edit. That changes the blame. Not the outcome. I don't feel badly for UNC. They lost fair and square.

03-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Agree to disagree. If they start the clock right, he would have been able to attempt a 2/3 court shot. They probably miss, but Roy's (admittedly foolish) TO call never would have been made if not for the clock being wrong. I didn't rewatch it, but the announcers clearly said there should be 0.3 or 0.4 left on the clock and it was the clock error that caused the runoff. Maybe they were wrong too.

Just rewatched it. Britt absolutely, no doubt, not a single question called the TO with time left on the clock. Probably about a half second. They got screwed. Feel free to rewatch it again. He called TO way before there were zeroes on the clock. Not close.

ziggysfryboy
03-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Some NC arena home cooking with the clock backfires. Love it

MUMac
03-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Doesn't matter when he calls it. It only matters when it is recognized. At the time the official raises his hands, it would have been .03-.04 at best. Your argument that does not make sense to me. The clock does not roll in slow motion. At the time the ball was received everyone, EVERYONE, knew it had 1.6 on it. Calling a TO was beyond stupid. Saying that is a cheap way to lose is bizarre to me.

I am through, have at the last response if you want. Not worth it.

03-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Mac, it was cheap for the kids. Whether it's the clock official or Roy signaling for the TO (as I said never should have done) Britt should have had the chance to throw up a prayer. The combination of the clock and Roy's TO signal took that chance.

Officials handled it right. Roy handled it right. But those kids deserved to be able to throw a prayer, not be sitting on the bench while the clock was expired for them.