PDA

View Full Version : Marquette's come a long way

jpvegas52
03-23-2014, 05:30 PM
Irregardless of who marquette selects as their head coach we've certainly come a long way from this day in 1986 when Newell the coach of University of Arkansas - Little Rock turned down Marquette's offer.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-07-05/sports/8602180153_1_bob-dukiet-ualr-ncaa-tournament-berth

warriorfan4life
03-23-2014, 05:31 PM
The realistic names with interest now dwarf even the 2008 list. Glad to have Cords/Strong back on board with Fr. Wild to help leave a very prominent reminder of their Marquette legacy.

sailwi
03-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Forgot Dick Verscase was a candidate, he would have been much better than Dukiet of course in hindsight most any candidate would have been.

MUMac
03-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Forgot Dick Verscase was a candidate, he would have been much better than Dukiet of course in hindsight most any candidate would have been.

Versace had an NCAA investigation with Bradley ongoing at the time. Ultimately, the NCAA suspended him for a year, I believe. He was never a serious candidate, due to that.

TallTitan34
03-23-2014, 05:58 PM
The realistic names with interest now dwarf even the 2008 list.

Prior to Buzz, some may have viewed Marquette as a school that was winning because of Crean. With the success Buzz brought after Crean, he proved that Marquette's program is a winner. If a guy with little head coaching experience can accomplish what Buzz at Marquette did why not (insert name here).

I think that makes the job much more attractive this time around.

Markedman
03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Glad to have you on the board Titan.....

IrwinFletcher
03-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Great find and interesting to look back.

I think there are some things in the Marquett story over the bast 25-30 years that can relate to some of our personal lives. I look at where I am right now in my life and think how happy, blessed and lucky I have been. However, there have been some real difficult times when things weren't so rosy. But as I look back, I wouldn't trade those difficult times for where I am right now for anything.

Same thing with MU buckets. Obviously, Dukiet wasn't the right choice at that time and who knows what would have happened if one of those other options were chosen. But Dukiet led to KO which led to Deane, which led to Crea which led to Buzz. And a lot of success over the past 11 years including a Final Four, and Elite 8 and a handful of Sweet 16's. Though we are in a tough spot right now, I wouldn't trade these last few years for the disaster that was the late 80's.

JohnnyRev
03-23-2014, 09:42 PM
In those years, Marquette basketball was virtually ignored on campus. Today basketball gets Marquette a lot of students. Not then. That's why I'm hopeful hearing that leaders (and Mr. Strong) seem bound and determined to take even a step up from where we were with Buzz.