1) Al
2) Buzz
3) TC
4) KO
5) Rick
6) Deane
7) Hank
8) Dukeit

Based upon where the program was when they started and where it was when they finished.

MUMac
03-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Hank is above Deane. Far above Deane and above Rick, based on your criteria. I would also drop buzz down below KO and TC. When KO left, Deane had quite a run with his players. My list, starting with Al's reign, would be (again, based on your criteria):

1) Al
2) KO
3) TC
4) Buzz
5) Hank
6) Rick
7) Deane
8) There is no 8 ...

TulsaWarrior
03-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Hank needs to be further up that list because he deserves a lot of the credit for the success of the McGuire years. Raymonds was the nuts and bolts guy Al was the showman, the bandleader and psychologist.

What you lists shows and Marquette's decision makers need to think about are what qualities does a coach need to be successful at this university? Your laundry list suggests the most successful could sell ice cream to Eskimos. Or should I say ice cream to Inuits to be politically correct?

Phantom Warrior
03-23-2014, 09:23 AM
I'd put Jack Nagle in there somewhere around #5. He was an excellent coach.

As far as Rick, when he left, the program was worse than when he started as head coach. The same is true of Hank. Of course, there was no way for Hank to improve the program, and it was next to impossible to maintain its success under Al.

trublufan
03-23-2014, 02:17 PM
I'd put Jack Nagle in there somewhere around #5. He was an excellent coach.

As far as Rick, when he left, the program was worse than when he started as head coach. The same is true of Hank. Of course, there was no way for Hank to improve the program, and it was next to impossible to maintain its success under Al.
As far as assistant coaches go Hank would be #1. He couldn't really have improved the program but it took a steep drop when he took over. I think Rick left the program right where it was when he took over. Jack Nagle was not in the last 50 years. KO & TC definitely improved the program but Buzz got it to the point where MU was knocking at the door of "elite status."

CaribouJim
03-23-2014, 03:11 PM
1) Al
2) Buzz
3) TC
4) KO
5) Rick
6) Deane
7) Hank
8) Dukeit

Based upon where the program was when they started and where it was when they finished.

I'd flip Rick and Hank - cool with the rest.

MinnesotaJeb
03-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Hank is above Deane. Far above Deane and above Rick, based on your criteria. I would also drop buzz down below KO and TC. When KO left, Deane had quite a run with his players. My list, starting with Al's reign, would be (again, based on your criteria):

1) Al
2) KO
3) TC
4) Buzz
5) Hank
6) Rick
7) Deane
8) There is no 8 ...

Sounds good to me. I'd rank Al, KO, and Deane as the best game coaches, however. Besides Al, TC was the best recruiter.