PDA

View Full Version : What I don't get

mufansince72
03-22-2014, 12:43 AM
Is leaving MU for a bottom feeder ACC program, for less money. Makes absolutely no sense! Best he can hope for is about 7th in the ACC, and that won't be easy. Enjoy being on CBS for the tournament this weekend Buzz, as I have a feeling it will be many years before you are asked to participate on broadcasts, or make the tourney as a team.

mufansince72
03-22-2014, 01:15 AM
Hunt is actually making some sense now!

y Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel March 22, 2014
submit to reddit EMAIL PRINT |(0) COMMENTS
No, I wasn't at all surprised he left.

Yes, I was very surprised it was for Virginia Tech.

I figured something was up when Williams was unreachable for the better part of the week. That's not like him. I was preparing for some of the bigger jobs to open because Auburn, South Florida and Virginia Tech just didn't make sense.

Virginia Tech was a stunner because it never fit what I perceived to be his needs. But then again, Williams is a very competitive, driven guy who apparently believes he can make something happen at an ACC bottom-feeder.

If it's a lifestyle thing, I can't argue with him. Blacksburg is a pretty place. I've been there many times and it seems like a nice place to live, especially after this brutal Milwaukee winter. But once I got stranded near there by a 22-inch snowstorm while trying to get to UW-Whitewater's national championship football game. Again, I don't think Williams cares if it rains, shines, whatever, he's that hyper-focused. But if his family wanted a change, more power to him.

I saw a little bit of a change in him this year. Even though former AD Larry Williams was out of his way, he seemed restless, discontented, at times. It's very possible he wanted to get out while the getting was good if he believed he could go no further at Marquette. But Virginia Tech makes it look he was jumping just to jump because there is nothing about the Virginia Tech basketball program that remotely compares to what he had at Marquette.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/251636591.html#ixzz2wfZYGaHo
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

kneelb4zerg
03-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Yeah , how is he going to recruit? Do they charter jets for him from some obscure air strip?

Goddammit Buzz, WTF were you thinking?

TedBaxter
03-22-2014, 01:29 AM
Buzz didn't want to be at Marquette any longer. It's pretty clear. I expected next year would be his last as the schools looking for a coach this spring didn't seem to fit what I thought would be his destination, but going to Virginia Tech makes sense now because he didn't want to be here and because the AD is a close friend and former boss of one of his good friends, Mick Cronin. I think this has been in the works for weeks.

Am I bitter? No. This is the way it is and I really look forward to seeing where this all ends. Need to find someone who can recruit and someone who can see the positives of Marquette in the Big East and Marquette and Milwaukee as a positive.

mufansince72
03-22-2014, 01:36 AM
Buzz didn't want to be at Marquette any longer. It's pretty clear. I expected next year would be his last as the schools looking for a coach this spring didn't seem to fit what I thought would be his destination, but going to Virginia Tech makes sense now because he didn't want to be here and because the AD is a close friend and former boss of one of his good friends, Mick Cronin. I think this has been in the works for weeks.

Am I bitter? No. This is the way it is and I really look forward to seeing where this all ends. Need to find someone who can recruit and someone who can see the positives of Marquette in the Big East and Marquette and Milwaukee as a positive.

The two other open jobs in the ACC, Wake Forest and BC are better jobs in my opinion. I think he made a huge mistake.

TedBaxter
03-22-2014, 01:38 AM
BC wouldn't hire Buzz and I'm not sure the Wake Forest AD would hire Buzz. The Virginia Tech AD wanted Buzz and they had Cronin as the broker.

RJax55
03-22-2014, 01:52 AM

Completely agree. Once VT had the dollars secured, it moved pretty quickly.

Also, looks like Cronin was the agent Buzz never had.

mufansince72
03-22-2014, 02:00 AM
Prediction - Buzz will be like KO and end up being an analyst for MU games after Vtech fires him in about 5 years.

TulsaWarrior
03-22-2014, 07:51 AM
72 you may be right. The thing is with what he received $ from Marquette and what he is getting from VPI he will be set for life at age 45. The biggest question I have had about Buzz is the level of his intensity. Could he maintain that level of intensity over an extended period of time or burn out? I think this past couple of years we saw an extremely emotional guy with some episodes that reflect that. This latest move suggests an impulsive move with a man who is not at peace with himself. All that said I wish him and his family nothing but the best. I've said this before with Buzz it's not about the money. Whether it's rational or not he has to feel respected and loved. This past season was a time where he was questioning himself and questioning the love and respect of the Marquette community.

Gato78
03-22-2014, 08:12 AM
If it is love he wants, he better never go to the NBA.

TulsaWarrior
03-22-2014, 08:56 AM
To paraphrase Harry Truman, if you want unconditional love get a dog.