PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cords email last week

mufan2003
03-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Last week, Marquette students/alumni/fans got an email from Bill Cords. The first email, I recall, since he stepped back into the role of interim AD at the end of December.

He stated this would be the first of several emails and that MU faced challenges ahead. Makes me wonder when Cords knew Buzz was leaving?

CaribouJim
03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Wow, that is interesting.

MUMac
03-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Last week, Marquette students/alumni/fans got an email from Bill Cords. The first email, I recall, since he stepped back into the role of interim AD at the end of December.

He stated this would be the first of several emails and that MU faced challenges ahead. Makes me wonder when Cords knew Buzz was leaving?

Not necessarily. Could be talking about transitioning from the Prez and AD positions. Could have been a precursor, but I kind of doubt that.

Gato78
03-21-2014, 09:38 PM
I know that email was in the works for a while fwiw.

IWB
03-21-2014, 09:48 PM
I would say yes, he probably knew

mufansince72
03-21-2014, 09:50 PM
I would say yes, he probably knew

So in that case, it was not a surprise and Cords probably has been compiling a list of people to contact?

mufan2003
03-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Interesting, thanks Jim. Shaka Smart's now available with VCU losing tonight.

MU_Iceman
03-21-2014, 10:06 PM
It might also explain why this season went awry.

MUMac
03-21-2014, 10:08 PM
It might also explain why this season went awry.

I thought it was because of the Seniors and their legacy. :rolleyes:

MayorBeluga
03-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Again, it's not a coincidence that Greg Doyle on cbssports.com had additional Buzz's Bunch stories. Buzz was using the media to get his name out there. It was a negotiating ploy. Character revealed indeed.

ChitownAl
03-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Former coach was terminated on Monday the 17th, and has hired a new coach before the close of business on Friday the 21st? Extraordinarily fast. Less than four working days. Wonder if this was being worked on before former coach was fired? Not really much time otherwise for due diligence for either party. Fly in for interview. Meet with other VT power people. Negotiate. Bring wife in for look, Close deal. Have attorney look at contract. An awful lot of high level stuff in less than four working days. And Blacksburg doesn't have its own airport - have to go to Roanoke, a quibble but not in that time frame.

Does BW just disappear from MU offices for four days? Was Bill Cords given usual courtesy call by VT AD about interviewing his head coach?

Extraordinary.

CaribouJim
03-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Should make for an interesting b-ball banquet. I assume a hire will be made by then.

kneelb4zerg
03-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Anyone care to share this email because I missed it.

MU_Iceman
03-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Anyone care to share this email because I missed it.

It is great to be back! I have been energized by the kind words of welcome I have heard and read over these past two months. Welcome back in my life to all of you!

Since retirement in 2007, I have taken great pride in the fact that over these past seven years of administrative change in the department, Marquette Athletics stayed strong and improved. That is difficult to do and is a testimony to the quality, character and commitment of the administrative and support staff, coaches and student-athletes. I respect the men who preceded me knowing they were and are of good heart and spirit and each, in his own way, helped us get stronger and better.

I have been asked why I came back. The answer was and always will be that I care deeply about Marquette University, Marquette Athletics and the Marquette Family. It is about people and relationships. The strength of Marquette comes from its people. Always has been. Always will be. Marquette has done more for me and my family than we could ever repay. My return is small payment. When Father Wild called to say he needed some help, there was no hesitation. None.

Thank you for your support of our student-athletes. You have provided and continue to provide our outstanding young men and women the opportunity to strive for excellence in academics, athletics and leadership through service to others through to graduation and becoming a positive force in our world.

Our administrative and support staff and coaches provide the support for our student-athletes. All together we form a tremendously successful partnership on many different and meaningful levels. Over the past 20 years, almost without exception Marquette student-athletes graduate at a rate as high or higher and as fast or faster than their peers. Almost without exception the annual average grade GPA has been approximately 3.2. Student-athletes have achieved at a high level nationally, regionally and in conference, as teams and individuals while providing service in our community and within the university. All the while representing all of us, Marquette University and themselves in the best possible way. They are our best.

This is the first of many such communications in the weeks and months ahead as we review our past in order to understand the present in order to look confidently to the future.

We have challenges that lie ahead. We must and will successfully meet them. I look forward to working with you to do just that.

GO MARQUETTE!

Bill Cords
Interim Vice President & Director of Intercollegiate Athletics