PDA

View Full Version : How could Buzz have left honorably?

Hamostradamus
03-21-2014, 08:56 PM
I struggled with this earlier when talking to LittleBro. Let's assume Buzz wanted to leave - for whatever reason - to a new job. I think he could have resigned, spent a year in the broadcast booth, then be "lured" back into coaching, a la Dick Bennett. I don't care that Buzz said he'd be here as long as we'd have him (What else should he have said? "No, sorry, I may leave at any time."), but there are ways to leave a program without tarnishing your legacy.

Nukem2
03-21-2014, 09:04 PM
I struggled with this earlier when talking to LittleBro. Let's assume Buzz wanted to leave - for whatever reason - to a new job. I think he could have resigned, spent a year in the broadcast booth, then be "lured" back into coaching, a la Dick Bennett. I don't care that Buzz said he'd be here as long as we'd have him (What else should he have said? "No, sorry, I may leave at any time."), but there are ways to leave a program without tarnishing your legacy.Way way too young for that approach. Let's face it, its all about regime changes and the new BE and wanting to play on a bigger stage in the ACC. And, maybe warmer weather and a more southern culture. Time to move on.

Gato78
03-21-2014, 09:08 PM
That's like saying Oliver Purnell took the DePaul job to get a bigger stage in the BIG EAST. Buzz is going to the ACC version of DePaul.

PTM
03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Parrish said that Buzz was taking the best job, right now. If he wanted out, he should have said he was leaving at the end of the season.

Hamostradamus
03-21-2014, 09:11 PM
He could have done the Urban Meyer "health reasons" then come back in two years for whatever sexy job is out there.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-22-2014, 12:13 AM
I think people are just upset because nobody likes losing their coach... For Buzz it's a business and this is his job, for whatever reason he wasn't comfortable anymore and made a move... I think many folks have done that in their careers, it's just he is doing it on a very public stage.

pbiflyer
03-22-2014, 01:07 AM
I think people are just upset because nobody likes losing their coach... For Buzz it's a business and this is his job, for whatever reason he wasn't comfortable anymore and made a move... I think many folks have done that in their careers, it's just he is doing it on a very public stage.

But sadly, it goes against everything he has ever said. Just shows he is a complete fraud.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-22-2014, 06:16 AM
I would start by saying not airing the Buzz's Bunch stories. He's done that for years and kept it quiet. Now he uses those kids' stories to sell himself? That's what upsets me the most. He didn't have a season to sell, so he sold the work he's done privately with disabled children. There's no way anyone can spin that into a positive.

MUMac
03-22-2014, 06:46 AM

Disagree completely. I have said previously that I am pissed primarily because of the timing and where he went. buzz preached loyalty, preached integrity, preached character. He left MU at the worst time for MU. The same place, and current President, that gave him the opportunity. One that he would not have gotten at that time of his life. Gave him virtually anything he needed to be successful. Paid him well.

His leaving before MU has a new Prez and AD is bush league to me. It shows his character and that character is not the same that he preached.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-22-2014, 06:53 AM
I could not agree with you more, Mac. For the number of times Buzz said "character revealed", this sure seems like the biggest case of it right here. One more I thing I would add to "how could Buzz leave honorably" would be to not pursue any of MU's current or committed players. If they go elsewhere, fine, but you already stuck it to us by leaving, don't make it worse by taking the good china with you on your way out the door.

unclejohn
03-22-2014, 07:49 AM
I could not agree with you more, Mac. For the number of times Buzz said "character revealed", this sure seems like the biggest case of it right here. One more I thing I would add to "how could Buzz leave honorably" would be to not pursue any of MU's current or committed players. If they go elsewhere, fine, but you already stuck it to us by leaving, don't make it worse by taking the good china with you on your way out the door.

Yeah, that sounds great. But what about the 18 year old kids? Everybody knows that more often than not, players commit to coaches, rather than to schools. They sometimes even follow the assistant who recruited them if that assistant leaves. Are you going to say that some player from far away is now duty bound to go to Marquette because you will be offended if he doesn't? Or that they should not be allowed to play for their favorite coach?

MUAlphaBangura
03-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Disagree completely. I have said previously that I am pissed primarily because of the timing and where he went. buzz preached loyalty, preached integrity, preached character. He left MU at the worst time for MU. The same place, and current President, that gave him the opportunity. One that he would not have gotten at that time of his life. Gave him virtually anything he needed to be successful. Paid him well.

His leaving before MU has a new Prez and AD is bush league to me. It shows his character and that character is not the same that he preached.

Agree Mac. Timing is everything. I would never begrudge a chance for someone to better themselves and their family. But the timing was incredibly poor, on top of taking a step down in every respect as it relates to Marquette basketball. Then to throw out that bs tweet thanking Marquette. Well, the only thing that comes to mind is hypocritical coward.

DCwarrior
03-22-2014, 08:21 AM
If he left for Texas or even a school with a decent hoops program, I could understand it. But VA Tech? If Buzz had trouble with losing this year, he's going to have a lot trouble going forward. VA Tech is a basketball graveyard. He may look back on this year fondly being able to come close to NIT status.

The Reptile
03-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Please, the premise of this thread is silly. Name a coach does what was proposed? He did what all coaches that want to move on do. At least, he spoke to people rather than letting the news hit ESPN first (the Crean method). I looking to leave my job currently and am not going to resign and then get a new job while I'm unemployed. I don't expect anyone else to do the same thing that I would do. We live in 2014 and need to grow up and realize that coaches have contracts longer than their stays with the school. Part of the illusion that they all have to perform is that they love working for the school that they're at, they covet no other jobs and that they could not see themselves happier or wealthier. Reality says something other. People, stop whining, spend a day with your families and friends and move on. This is just basketball. If it's the most important thing in your life, kindly seek help. The world will be better off if you do.

Drbchilds
03-22-2014, 09:11 AM
I would start by saying not airing the Buzz's Bunch stories. He's done that for years and kept it quiet. Now he uses those kids' stories to sell himself? That's what upsets me the most. He didn't have a season to sell, so he sold the work he's done privately with disabled children. There's no way anyone can spin that into a positive.

This

The timing of that airing and his quitting on us, is eye opening

unclejohn
03-22-2014, 11:07 AM
Please, the premise of this thread is silly. Name a coach does what was proposed? He did what all coaches that want to move on do. At least, he spoke to people rather than letting the news hit ESPN first (the Crean method). I looking to leave my job currently and am not going to resign and then get a new job while I'm unemployed. I don't expect anyone else to do the same thing that I would do. We live in 2014 and need to grow up and realize that coaches have contracts longer than their stays with the school. Part of the illusion that they all have to perform is that they love working for the school that they're at, they covet no other jobs and that they could not see themselves happier or wealthier. Reality says something other. People, stop whining, spend a day with your families and friends and move on. This is just basketball. If it's the most important thing in your life, kindly seek help. The world will be better off if you do.

Yay! I couldn't have put it better. How could a coach possibly leave and leave people happy? If he leaves after some success at a smaller program, fans complain that their program gave him a chance, and he left it when they needed him. If he leaves for more money, he is a mercenary. The only thing that would make fans happy is if a coach declared his undying love for the university, promised to never leave, and was willing to pack up and go without complaint the moment fans got sick of him.