PDA

View Full Version : Hunt article

Hamostradamus
03-21-2014, 07:50 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/buzz-williams-needed-someone-new-to-appreciate-him-b99230830z1-251607361.html

He really can write when he wants to. I know major college hoops coaches are all insane, but this is a very insightful quote:

"He was unusually reclusive, which was the first hint he was looking around for someone new to love and appreciate him."

MUBasketball
03-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Great article.

mufansince72
03-21-2014, 07:56 PM
That is why I asked in another thread if MU new this was coming?

MayorBeluga
03-21-2014, 07:59 PM
When he's writing an opinion c

MayorBeluga
03-21-2014, 08:01 PM
When he's writing an opinion column, Hunt is damn good. Reporting on the other hand? Well, let's just say he's as effective as a Putin speech at a Ukrainian Folk Fair.

Markedman
03-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Makes as much sense as anything else.....Buzz has always told anyone who would listen that he is immature.......maybe he just couldn't handle one bad year and freaked out.......

New love always seems better then old love.....at least at the beginning...............

MayorBeluga
03-21-2014, 08:02 PM
When he's writing an opinion c

Stupid iPhone while posting

Nukem2
03-21-2014, 08:03 PM
When he's writing an opinion column, Hunt is damn good. Reporting on the other hand? Well, let's just say he's as effective as a Putin speech at a Ukrainian Folk Fair.
Hunt has been a feature waiter for many years. Reporting just not his thing.

Hamostradamus
03-21-2014, 08:09 PM
maybe he just couldn't handle one bad year and freaked out.......

This may be the most insightful thing I've read. It really makes the most sense. I don't buy SI's comment: "For all the folksiness, Williams is a keenly calculating guy. His mind is Shun knife-sharp about basketball and about what circumstances will provide him the best chance for advancement in every sense."

I think he just made an impulsive move at the end of an exhausting and disappointing season.

TulsaWarrior
03-21-2014, 08:09 PM
This makes as much sense as anything today.

Nukem2
03-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Goodman's article at ESPN, on it's Insider site, says Buzz was frustrated by the regime changes at MU and was worried that the new Prez and AD would not be in his corner along with the changes in the BE.

pbiflyer
03-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Ultimately Buzz wasn't tough enough for Marquette. Or any other premier program for that matter.

MayorBeluga
03-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Goodman's article at ESPN, on it's Insider site, says Buzz was frustrated by the regime changes at MU and was worried that the new Prez and AD would not be in his corner along with the changes in the BE.

Because change never happens anywhere else? Because it'll never happen at VPI? To use his preferred word, he's being a p*ssy then since he's running from things that MIGHT happen.

MUMac
03-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimately Buzz wasn't tough enough for Marquette. Or any other premier program for that matter.

This. They guy that preached "tough enough" at MU was a bit wimpy at the end. Could not handle the complaints about his coaching this year. Could not handle the pending change at MU. He was not tough enough for MU. At least he lasted 6 years here. 5 longer than any other stay that he had. Showed he ran from New Orleans. He is a runner, not a coach, I guess.

milkbone
03-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Makes as much sense as anything else.....Buzz has always told anyone who would listen that he is immature.......maybe he just couldn't handle one bad year and freaked out.......

New love always seems better then old love.....at least at the beginning...............
.He better get use to a few bad years, not just ONE!!!!!

mufansince72
03-21-2014, 08:41 PM
.He better get use to a few bad years, not just ONE!!!!!

Yeah, I don't see VT getting in the NCAA tournament anytime soon. Not unless it becomes a 9 or 10 bid league.

Hamostradamus
03-21-2014, 08:45 PM
He better get use to a few bad years, not just ONE!!!!!

That's easy. Anyone can be the fighting underdog, constantly scrapping for a little success when you are expected to struggle. He had that when TC left, then Maymon left, etc. Tourney success and NBA talent and he is suddenly The Little Engine That Could. Buzz is great with house money. But when there is no excuse for a lack of success, no one thinks its cute anymore. That's what this past season was. He can do that all day at VT, no one will care if they suck or come thiiiiis close to a tourney bid. For awhile.

mufan2003
03-21-2014, 10:57 PM

I am not on Twitter, but as everyone knows Buzz joined Twitter for the first time this past year. Maybe he was naiive to some of the negative things that would be tweeted his way in the Twitter world. Not the best season to have in your first year experiencing Twitter. Buzz may be in for a surprise, that while MU may have some disrespectful and unappreciative fans (just as all fan bases do), there are situations much worse out there than MU when things go bad.

I don't think Buzz will ever experience the success at Virginia Tech that he had at MU. He has become a sheep among the wolves in the ACC:

Wolves: Krzyzewski, Williams, Boeheim, Pitino

Sheep: Everyone else