PDA

View Full Version : Get Shaka Smart

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Isn't Marquette his dream job? I want full court pressure with our guys.

AbovetheRim
03-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Isn't Marquette his dream job? I want full court pressure with our guys.

Does this speed up the AD search? I'd think that piece of the puzzle needs to be finalized first.

Drbchilds
03-21-2014, 04:56 PM
I just posted the same thing on the insiders board, Crisco

If we gave Buzz 2.8, offer Shaka 3 million

MUMac
03-21-2014, 04:57 PM
I would take Shaka in a heartbeat.

Awilhelmscream
03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Give Broeker the AD job and hire Shaka immediately. Knowing how MU works they'll wait out the president search though and it'll be too late to save the recruiting class. I'm not opposed to Chew staying here and stepping it up either for that matter.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-21-2014, 05:32 PM
I'd pass on Smart. Hasn't impressed much as a recruiter and seems like more of a gimmick coach succeeding in a small conference. I'd like Howland first. Great recruiter and has had success at multiple stops. Never should have been canned at UCLA.

03-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Smart is improving his recruiting. Still a Howland fan. Just irritated right now.

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 05:43 PM
They run the same press at Louisville and Florida. I'm not sure if I would call that a gimmick. We all have our tastes, but I do not want Howland. I do not want to play that style.

mufan2003
03-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall were my first 2 thoughts.....but Marshall seems to love Wichita State and Smart turned down UCLA.

Did Smart grow up in Wisconsin? If so, he may be the type of coach that could keep Ahmed Hill from bolting.

mufan2003
03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I'll say it again. Build the men's basketball living residence. MU needs every asset at its disposal and more to keep coaches and get top-level recruits.

Awilhelmscream
03-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall were my first 2 thoughts.....but Marshall seems to love Wichita State and Smart turned down UCLA.

Did Smart grow up in Wisconsin? If so, he may be the type of coach that could keep Ahmed Hill from bolting.

Smart has also recounted the racism he encountered in Wisconsin as a child. Don't really see him coming back.

Markedman
03-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 22m
Here's an interesting name that will surface for Marquette, per source: Gregg Marshall.

IWB
03-21-2014, 05:54 PM
I know Shaka is interested, but I think they will focus elsewhere.

MUBasketball
03-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Ugh!!!

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Why? If he's interested, pursue!!! Double ugh!!!

mufan2003
03-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Why? If he's interested, pursue!!! Double ugh!!!

Could be good or bad. Good if they have their eye on someone better than Smart. Bad if they don't have someone better and just don't want Smart.

mufan2003
03-21-2014, 06:16 PM
FWIW, Doug Collins was in the Bradley Center crowd yesterday. Not sure where he resides, but found it odd seeing it is not like he was watching Chris coach.

MUFLA
03-22-2014, 12:44 AM

I just assumed that he would not leave VCU. If he is interested, cry havoc...

03-22-2014, 06:25 AM

If they have someone in mind and it's not Shaka, I have to think it's a either a bigger name or an assistant. So Howland (the only bigger name out there) or Autry/Chew. I mean, you're not going to bypass Shaka to go after a Saul Phillips type if the interest is legit.

MUBasketball
03-22-2014, 07:53 AM
I mean, you're not going to bypass Shaka to go after a Saul Phillips type if the interest is legit.

I've seen Saul Phillips speak at a coaching clinic. Dude is legit and has a great personality. Was highly entertaining during the "social" in the hotel bar that night where the clinic was held. Aside from being a Bo guy, he would honestly be a terrific choice.

Crisco, you ever see him speak at a clinic?

03-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Not dismissing Phillips, I like what he's done there, but he's not Shaka Smart in terms of a home run hire.

MUAlphaBangura
03-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Not dismissing Phillips, I like what he's done there, but he's not Shaka Smart in terms of a home run hire.

And think about this board down the road after Phillips has some success here and then leaves for Wisconsin!!!

MU_Iceman
03-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Cords would never hire a guy with UW ties. Ever.

kneelb4zerg
03-22-2014, 08:42 AM

What about Tony Bennett?

milkbone
03-22-2014, 08:52 AM
What about Tony Bennett?
.MU has a better chance getting the singer than the coach!!!

GOMU1104
03-22-2014, 08:59 AM

How do you know?

OH right, you don't. You just hope he wouldn't.

GOMU1104
03-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Smart isn't coming to MU. He's going to bide his time at VCU until there is an opening at one of the Elites.

Those that want Shaka...would you be OK with him being here 2-3 years and then bolting?

MU_Iceman
03-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Smart isn't coming to MU. He's going to bide his time at VCU until there is an opening at one of the Elites.

Those that want Shaka...would you be OK with him being here 2-3 years and then bolting?

IWB says he's interested.

MU_Iceman
03-22-2014, 09:16 AM
How do you know?

OH right, you don't. You just hope he wouldn't.

Not true...I have talked to Bill a couple times through the years.

GOMU1104
03-22-2014, 09:48 AM
IWB says he's interested.

Not telling IWB he is wrong, but I am pretty damn confident in what I said. And I'm not making it up.

For those of you that care bout this stuff...Shaka also doesn't have the cleanest reputation around, either.

Anything can happen though, as we clearly know.

03-22-2014, 09:52 AM

It's possible Shaka has enough home-state ties that he would view Marquette as a long term option. If that's the case and he can convince MU he really wants this to be a destination, I say go for him. If not, I'd rather have Howland or someone they believe won't be looking to move soon.

TedBaxter
03-22-2014, 10:04 AM
The thing with Smart is that his wife is a businesswoman so she'll have a say. Not sure she wants to come to Wisconsin even though she went to school in Chicago. I think a big part of him signing the contract with VCU is that she wanted to stay out in Virginia.

I'm not sure who will emerge as it oftens seems like a candidate comes out of nowhere.

GOMU1104
03-22-2014, 10:09 AM
It's possible Shaka has enough home-state ties that he would view Marquette as a long term option. If that's the case and he can convince MU he really wants this to be a destination, I say go for him. If not, I'd rather have Howland or someone they believe won't be looking to move soon.

That would be awesome.

His rough childhood and the racism that he experienced growing up could also be a turnoff...

03-22-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't think dealing with racism would keep him out of Wisconsin. It's hardly an issue that is unique to our state, and I would argue it's probably less prevalent here than it is in many other states.

mufansince72
03-22-2014, 11:09 AM
He turned down UCLA and Illinois last year. I just don't see Shaka taking the MU Job. Then again, never thought Buzz would leave for less money to go to a bottom feeder.

tower912
03-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Howland. Wardle. Marshall. The assistant from Syracuse. Chew.

QuetteHoops
03-22-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't think dealing with racism would keep him out of Wisconsin. It's hardly an issue that is unique to our state, and I would argue it's probably less prevalent here than it is in many other states.

Milwaukee and the Greater Milwaukee area are some of the most segregated cities in America. Racism is definitely prevalent in this state and I'd argue more so than most of the country.

MUBasketball
03-22-2014, 11:34 AM
The assistant from Syracuse.

Why is his name even being mentioned? He's the head coach in waiting at Syracuse. When Boeheim retires (within 5 years), he'll be the next head coach.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Milwaukee and the Greater Milwaukee area are some of the most segregated cities in America. Racism is definitely prevalent in this state and I'd argue more so than most of the country.

Doesn't seem to bother Larry Drew, or Rob Jeter...

QuetteHoops
03-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Doesn't seem to bother Larry Drew, or Rob Jeter...

I never said it would be a hindrance to Shaka Smart coming here...

dubs98
03-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Not telling IWB he is wrong, but I am pretty damn confident in what I said. And I'm not making it up.

For those of you that care bout this stuff...Shaka also doesn't have the cleanest reputation around, either.

Does any coach who is not a current MU coach have a clean reputation in recruiting? By reading various boards, I am convinced that every single coach who recruits is dirty except for the coach at the program of the said fan base. Just a thought.

GOMU1104
03-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Does any coach who is not a current MU coach have a clean reputation in recruiting? By reading various boards, I am convinced that every single coach who recruits is dirty except for the coach at the program of the said fan base. Just a thought.

Not going to sit on a high horse. I'm not naive enough to think that.

I, frankly, do not care if a coach cheats...just as long as he doesn't get caught.

Some do care...which is why I said "for those of you that care about this..."

I think it was Tark that said...9 out of 10 teams cheat, the other is in last place.

03-22-2014, 01:18 PM

Segregated without a doubt. But comparing Wisconsin's racism to the south is apples and oranges. Still far more prevalent down there from what I've seen.

CaribouJim
03-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Why is his name even being mentioned? He's the head coach in waiting at Syracuse. When Boeheim retires (within 5 years), he'll be the next head coach.

...and he is as dull as a wet blanket if that even makes sense. He's been waiting on Boeheim for too long - shows lack of ambition if you ask me.

Awilhelmscream
03-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Segregated without a doubt. But comparing Wisconsin's racism to the south is apples and oranges. Still far more prevalent down there from what I've seen.

Disagree. I was born and raised in KY (rural KY at that), then moved up north for 10 years before heading down to Charleston, SC last year. In addition, my sales territory covers the entire southeast and I spend a lot of time in places like coastal MS, coastal AL, New Orleans, and the FL panhandle. To date, the most segregated places I've been and have what seem to be blatantly race related issues are Milwaukee, New Orleans, and Chicago. That being said, Shaka is an affluent man and shouldn't have any problems in Milwaukee but I see the fringe faction to the west laying on subtle and not so subtle racism in regards to comments made about him and his teams. Hell, we already hear those comments now and we had a Lilly white guy from TX coaching.

IWB
03-22-2014, 05:41 PM

First off, I didn't say he "is" interested, said he would be. Can't expand on it openly.

Mucrisco
03-22-2014, 07:30 PM
I've seen Saul Phillips speak at a coaching clinic. Dude is legit and has a great personality. Was highly entertaining during the "social" in the hotel bar that night where the clinic was held. Aside from being a Bo guy, he would honestly be a terrific choice.

Crisco, you ever see him speak at a clinic?
I have not, but now I'd like to. All the guys who you've said has been good, I've agreed.