PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tourney Day 2

Goose85
03-21-2014, 01:26 PM
With all of the close games, over time games, double digit seed wins (Harvard, ND State, Dayton) I thought Day 2 would be boring as top teams saw upsets, etc.

Well Day 2 started with one heck of a bang.

Mercer 78 - Duke 71.

I'd have to think Quicken Loans and Warren Buffet's billion dollars is safe after that one.

Coach K should worry about his own team, and not how many bids the A10 received.

MUWhistler
03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
With all of the close games, over time games, double digit seed wins (Harvard, ND State, Dayton) I thought Day 2 would be boring as top teams saw upsets, etc.

Mercer 78 - Duke 71.

I'd have to think Quicken Loans and Warren Buffet's billion dollars is safe after that one.

Coach K should worry about his own team, and not how many bids the A10 received.

Couldn't agree with you more. An arrogant jerk that thinks the ACC is the end all and be all of the universe. Glad he was shown the door very early in this tournament.

Gato78
03-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Mrs. Gato: " I guess they forgot to play for the name on the jersey".

MayorBeluga
03-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Anyone seen Mercer's coach and Gato in the same room? Hmm...

Mark Miller
03-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Mercer 78 - Duke 71.

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Goose85
03-21-2014, 01:46 PM
Duke, who never gets a break, had to travel 25 miles to Raleigh for that game. Talk about a home game, and I thought Wisconsin was playing too close to home.

I'd bet that arena is pretty well empty for the next game and Sunday.

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Forget opening day, Thursday and Friday of March Madness should be national holidays.

Goose85
03-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Baylor over Nebraska. Big 10 is 3-3.

Just for fun, the Old Big East is 5-1 so far with Providence yet to play.

MU/Panther
03-21-2014, 02:08 PM
What did coach k say about the A-10? I know he was pimping nc state.

Edit. I looked it up, in what coach k said.

MU/Panther
03-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Duke, who never gets a break, had to travel 25 miles to Raleigh for that game. Talk about a home game, and I thought Wisconsin was playing too close to home.

I'd bet that arena is pretty well empty for the next game and Sunday.
Raleigh wasn't even close in being sold out. The upper deck seats behind the basket were empty. I thought the crowd was louder for Mercer. Plus, the Bears fans showed up in full force.

MayorBeluga
03-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Raleigh wasn't even close in being sold out. The upper deck seats behind the basket were empty. I thought the crowd was louder for Mercer. Plus, the Bears fans showed up in full force.

Duke isn't a Carolina school. Local fans are either UNC or NC State fans. Without UNC playing in Raleigh, it's gonna be empty.

I'll say it again - the NCAA is in trouble when it comes to the tournament. More and more fans are balking at buying expensive tickets when they can sit at home (or a bar) and watch multiple games. How full would the BC be if the government school had not been placed there?

sailwi
03-21-2014, 02:33 PM
You are right about in house attendance, MU had a hard time selling out this year. I remember seeing ads for tickets this winter which had not happened in the past.

Also loved Fran Frachilla's line today, if Mercer applies to the A 10 would Coach K be a reference.

AbovetheRim
03-21-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm just happy when bad things happen to bad people. Coach K is a megalomaniac. Dan Bernstein put it well when he said that instead of isolating Parker on the big stiff that was guarding him, he had him on the bench at times while others jacked up wild 3's. K once again "coached" himself right out of the tourney.

Goose85
03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Also loved Fran Frachilla's line today, if Mercer applies to the A 10 would Coach K be a reference.

That is awesome. Way to go Fran Frachilla!

Goose85
03-21-2014, 03:04 PM
While not really an upset, another double digit seed gets a W as Stanford with a 10 seed beats New Mexico.

mufansince72
03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Duke isn't a Carolina school. Local fans are either UNC or NC State fans. Without UNC playing in Raleigh, it's gonna be empty.

I'll say it again - the NCAA is in trouble when it comes to the tournament. More and more fans are balking at buying expensive tickets when they can sit at home (or a bar) and watch multiple games. How full would the BC be if the government school had not been placed there?

I agree on the prices. I had several opportunities to buy them in advance from both the Bucks and MU. No interest this time because of the prices, and my past experience of being able to get them on the street for pretty cheap. The only reason the BC was probably full in my opinion was because Bucky was playing there. Take them out of the mix and you have a different story.

mufan2003
03-21-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm just bbc.cohappy when bad things happen to bad people. Coach K is a megalomaniac. Dan Bernstein put it well when he said that instead of isolating Parker on the big stiff that was guarding him, he had him on the bench at times while others jacked up wild 3's. K once again "coached" himself right out of the tourney.

Coach K is losing his Midas touch. 2012 #2 Duke loses to #15 Lehigh and now to #14 Mercer.

Nukem2
03-21-2014, 03:24 PM
I agree on the prices. I had several opportunities to buy them in advance from both the Bucks and MU. No interest this time because of the prices, and my past experience of being able to get them on the street for pretty cheap. The only reason the BC was probably full in my opinion was because Bucky was playing there. Take them out of the mix and you have a different story.

Yep, Bucky makes a huge difference.

CaribouJim
03-21-2014, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=AbovetheRimappreciats just happy when bad things happen to bad people. Coach K is a megalomaniac. Dan Bernstein put it well when he said that instead of isolating Parker on the big stiff that was guarding him, he had him on the bench at times while others jacked up wild 3's. K once again "coached" himself right out of the tourney.[/QUOTE]

I heard that too. He is a Duke grad, but never holds anything back when it comes to Duke and Coach K and does a great imitation of him. I wish he and Terry were bigger college b- ball fans though. I'm a huge NBA fan and so are they and I appreciate that, but it would be cool if they covered more college.

pbiflyer
03-21-2014, 03:33 PM
At San Antonio games. Creighton travels well. Lots of their fans present. Their cheerleaders/ dance squad has one that makes me look skinny.
Won't miss Dougie
UNC fans almost non existant.
Nebraska was awful as we're the refs.

CaribouJim
03-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Maymon getting a lot of props - has a double double thus far.

pbiflyer
03-21-2014, 03:53 PM
One surprise is that they are showing replays including contraversal ones in the arena.

CaribouJim
03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Come on Creighton - playing nervous.

Goose85
03-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Come on Creighton - playing nervous.

Wragge is 1-5 from three and the team is 4-16. Also 4 of 11 from the line.

Why couldn't they have an off night when we played them.

Need Creighton to right the ship and advance.

CaribouJim
03-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Creighton playing like they are caught in quicksand. Sluggish.

Bilas called this game as the potential upset for today.

pbiflyer
03-21-2014, 04:16 PM
44 of ULL or jambalaya as we call him has a little davante in him.

pbiflyer
03-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Creighton playing like they are caught in quicksand. Sluggish.

Bilas called this game as the potential upset for today.
Refs determined not to let that happen.

CaribouJim
03-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Clutch 3

CaribouJim
03-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Big East now 2-1. Let's go PC!!!!

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 09:27 PM
OK, that was dumb for VCU to even come close to fouling on that three, but was that really a foul?

Markedman
03-21-2014, 09:29 PM
VCU game is just crazy.....what a great tournament this has been so far........

MUMac
03-21-2014, 09:30 PM
OK, that was dumb for VCU to even come close to fouling on that three, but was that really a foul?

No, but don't give the official a chance to make a mistake.

Get VCU out early, though, and get Shaka into town by Monday! :)

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 09:38 PM
No, but don't give the official a chance to make a mistake.

Get VCU out early, though, and get Shaka into town by Monday! :)

Works for me!

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 09:43 PM
OK, VCU is out. Make the telephone call, Coach Cords! Maybe we should track planes from San Diego to Milwaukee.

MUMac
03-21-2014, 09:46 PM
OK, VCU is out. Make the telephone call, Coach Cords! Maybe we should track planes from San Diego to Milwaukee.

Yep. He is choice A for me. Always has been. Although, Marshall from Wichita State is an unexpected and intriguing name.

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Yeah, right now for me, its:
Shaka
Marshall
Archie Miller- Saw him speak. Knows his stuff.
Wardle- Friend of mine, but when I saw him at a clinic, he was impressive.

I'm sure that list will change, but not the top two.

BLT
03-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Tough tournament for the five seeds.

MUMac
03-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Tough tournament for the five seeds.

Yep. That is what the NCAA wants. The 12/5 is their signature, it appears.

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Coastal Carolina!

Mucrisco
03-21-2014, 10:32 PM
I'm amazed at how many guys foul a three point shooter.

MU/Panther
03-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Most sites had great attendance, other than San Antonio. Crowds around 11,000 for a 19,000 seat arena.