PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Wilson Hometown Article

ge1974
03-30-2012, 07:51 AM
Nice article on Wilson, who came thru at Wisconsin when Junior was suspeneded.

http://www.adn.com/2012/03/30/2398346/former-t-bird-got-chance-to-dance.html

The Reptile
03-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Good read. What bothers me is here is a kid who is in the program, knows what to expect, has to make an adjustment to D-1 and is working his tail off. Yet, most discount his ability to get better in the future simply because he is not a scorer today. Time and again, our staff works their magic to improve players but people still doubt. If he is confident he'll earn more PT and improve then we should all stand behind him.

MUMac
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Good read. What bothers me is here is a kid who is in the program, knows what to expect, has to make an adjustment to D-1 and is working his tail off. Yet, most discount his ability to get better in the future simply because he is not a scorer today. Time and again, our staff works their magic to improve players but people still doubt. If he is confident he'll earn more PT and improve then we should all stand behind him.

Excellent point Reptile. I share in your frustrations about that. Junior has developed into a scorer - when needed. I can see the same transition for Derrick.

Goose85
03-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Jordan Taylor didn't score much in his 13 minutes per game as a frosh. Averaged 1.6 points, shot 26% from the field and 19% from the three line. Took big steps in year two and year three. Hopefully Derrick can also take big steps from year 1 to year 2.

I really think he and Juan will take huge steps from year 1 to year 2.

Gato78
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I think Vander takes a big step next year. Has all the tools. Is poised to be a premier scorer after he spends summer working on his shot. Has the call to Mike Novak been made?

MUfan12
03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
I think Vander takes a big step next year. Has all the tools. Is poised to be a premier scorer after he spends summer working on his shot. Has the call to Mike Novak been made?

He needs some kind of shot doctor voodoo. Unfortunately, I wonder if it's so ingrained into his muscle memory that it might not be correctable. His mechanics are really poor, likely the result of years of bad habits accumulating.

If they can somehow turn him into a decent shooter, his game will take off.

Goose85
03-30-2012, 11:31 AM
If he (Vander) can improve his shot and figure out how to finish more when driving the hoop - he will be in the League.

MUMac
03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
He needs some kind of shot doctor voodoo. Unfortunately, I wonder if it's so ingrained into his muscle memory that it might not be correctable. His mechanics are really poor, likely the result of years of bad habits accumulating.

If they can somehow turn him into a decent shooter, his game will take off.

He had decent mechanics and shot his Sophomore year in High School. It seemed to me that his shot changed when he was hurt his Junior year. I would believe it is correctable.

The Reptile
03-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Folks, there is hope for Vander. Just look at what he's done at the FT line. He went from brick layer to almost automatic.

Djgoldnboy
03-30-2012, 12:04 PM

Thought I read somewhere from one of the people in the know that DW was instructed not to be a scorer this year.......I expect will be given the green light next year.

IWB
03-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Someone I talked to recently, can't remember who, someone on here I think, had a great idea.

Rules for Vander.....

1) When you get the ball, drive to the hoop and dunk. Do not shoot, do not lay it in, dunk.

2) If you get to the hoop and find you can not dunk, do not shoot, do not lay it in, pass.

Problem solved.