PDA

View Full Version : Vitale says USF after Buzz

MU88
03-19-2014, 11:01 AM
http://www.620wdae.com/onair/best-usf-bulls-coverage-43040/vitale-says-buzz-williams-on-usfs-12168986/

Can't see Buzz being interested in it, but it sounds like USF is going to take a run at him. Vitale lives in Tampa, I believe. So, his source is probably pretty good.

CaribouJim
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
That would be depressing to lose out to them.

unclejohn
03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Hard to say how legit this is. Buzz's name showed up in a Tampa Tribune article earlier. I do not pretend to know what is going on behind the scenes, and there is the fact that right now, Marquette does not have a permanent president or AD, but I just do not see it. What would be the point of going to USF? The weather is nicer, and Tampa is a great town, but I do not see much more to it. Conference stability? USF is stuck in the AAC, would love to be somewhere else, and who knows what the future is going to be. Money? Not a deciding factor with Buzz, and he is pretty well set at Marquette. And does Buzz get support for his charitable stuff? He does at Marquette. Perhaps not as much somewhere else. It sounds to me like wishful thinking. Then again, I thought the same about SMU.

TheSultan
03-19-2014, 12:37 PM
http://www.620wdae.com/onair/best-usf-bulls-coverage-43040/vitale-says-buzz-williams-on-usfs-12168986/

Can't see Buzz being interested in it, but it sounds like USF is going to take a run at him. Vitale lives in Tampa, I believe. So, his source is probably pretty good.

He lives in Sarasota. This sounds exactly like the kind of thing that Vitale would say when interviewed by a local sports station. I have my doubts.

Hamostradamus
03-19-2014, 01:00 PM
He lives in Sarasota. This sounds exactly like the kind of thing that Vitale would say when interviewed by a local sports station. I have my doubts.

Agreed. If someone like Katz said this, it would be a different story, but Vitale isn't exactly a reporter.

MUfan12
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
SMU, South Florida... it's pretty clear Buzz wants to coach against his buddy Cronin. ;)

Goose85
03-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Agreed. If someone like Katz said this, it would be a different story, but Vitale isn't exactly a reporter.

I thought Vitale just followed the ACC, how would he know what a former Big East school is doing?

Let's assume MU will not get beat out in the salary department.
Ok, we have had a bad winter, but other than weather, why else would he want to go to South Florida?

IWB
03-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Someone like Katz? He was the one that started the Crean rumors every year except the one year that Crean actually left.

ge1974
03-19-2014, 01:26 PM
Dick Vitale's voice sounds like its fading these days due to age. Time for him to get out of the spotlight. I heard him pick two "paisanos" for the NCAA Final - Tom Izzo and Rick Pitino during the drive home yesterday on Mitch Album's radio show in Detroit (not sure why I was even listing to Mr. Narcissist). Geez.

Remember when Dickie V recommended Bob Dukiet for the MU head coaching job??? Geez again.

TheSultan
03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Dick Vitale's voice sounds like its fading these days due to age. Time for him to get out of the spotlight.

Start praying....

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/dick-vitale-says-hell-work-until-the-man-upstairs-makes-that-decision.html

ValiantSailor
03-19-2014, 02:26 PM
I thought Vitale just followed the ACC,....

Fortunately, in these parts, the ACC has it's own network, so most of the ESPN broadcasts are blacked out.

VS

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Rumors of other schools pursuing your coach can be viewed as a positive that the program has done well and is expected to continue to do well. However, the constant rumor mill does get a bit annoying.

Buzz is incredibly well paid, but maybe MU should give him the slight raise for "peer respect" purposes as so many on this board have referenced. If MU is to give this raise, I would hope the administration asks Buzz to voice his commitment to Marq so the rumors can be put to bed for the forseeable future - possibly something similar to what he said when hired "I'll be the coach here as long as they'll let me" or whatever that quote was. Is this something that Buzz needs to do every time a new rumor comes up? Of course not. But does a fan base like to hear the occassional "verbal commitment" to your school - I think so and I dont think that is too much to ask.

What do you guys think?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-19-2014, 04:29 PM
I think if he truly wants to be here long term he can voice that and after doing it for a few off seasons in a row things would quiet down... I think the issue is that Buzz doesn't want to make that statement because he may be interested in going elsewhere at some point and doesn't want to lie and look silly when/if he does...

kneelb4zerg
03-19-2014, 04:32 PM
I think if he truly wants to be here long term he can voice that and after doing it for a few off seasons in a row things would quiet down... I think the issue is that Buzz doesn't want to make that statement because he may be interested in going elsewhere at some point and doesn't want to lie and look silly when/if he does...

Didn't Buzz say that his policy is never to comment in response to rumors because it looks like you are talking down about other jobs?

I have no problem with him saying nothing. Especially here - no intelligent fan really thinks he'd leave MU for USF. Why do we want Buzz to insult our intelligence by shooting down a lame-ass rumor?

IrwinFletcher
03-19-2014, 04:50 PM
You want to stop hearing about stuff like this? Stop posting silly stuff like this.

Dick Vitale hears a RUMOR that may or may not be true.
He considers it a legit source but who the heck knows.
He hears USF is after Buzz.
USF may or may not have the money to pay someone like Buzz.

So from this we get all panicky that Buzz could take this job?

Come on guys. If I told you that I was pursuing Kate Hudson, would that mean that Ms. Hudson and I will be seen dining out and the local Olive Garden? Of course not. That's ridiculous.

If someone confirms that Buzz is speaking with USF then we can get worried. But when an old guy hears rumors that USF might be pursuing Buzz, I think we should ignore it and move on.

IWB
03-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Now if it was Caribou that was pursuing Kate Hudson.......

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Irwin - I hear ya. That being said, throw all of the rumors aside and it still doesnt take away from the fact that it would be nice for Buzz to publicly express his fondness for the university which I don't believe he's done in some time. Again, I'm not asking for him to do this every day but an occassional shoutout about his positive feelings towards the university would be nice.

Buzz4W - I'm not sure where I stand on your comment but it's certainly an interesting angle.

ziggysfryboy
03-19-2014, 05:19 PM
You want to stop hearing about stuff like this? Stop posting silly stuff like this.

Dick Vitale hears a RUMOR that may or may not be true.
He considers it a legit source but who the heck knows.
He hears USF is after Buzz.
USF may or may not have the money to pay someone like Buzz.

So from this we get all panicky that Buzz could take this job?

Come on guys. If I told you that I was pursuing Kate Hudson, would that mean that Ms. Hudson and I will be seen dining out and the local Olive Garden? Of course not. That's ridiculous.

If someone confirms that Buzz is speaking with USF then we can get worried. But when an old guy hears rumors that USF might be pursuing Buzz, I think we should ignore it and move on.

Kate's more of a Red Lobster kinda gal.

IWB
03-19-2014, 05:21 PM
You guys are right, it would be nice to hear him say those words again, but under the previous administration they would not give him a reason to. He went to Sweet 16, followed by a Sweet 16, followed by an Elite 8. During that time period they did not give him a raise, bonus or even offer an extension.

Now, if the new pres and AD come in and give Buzz the warm and fuzzies - I would expect him to make such a statement.

CaribouJim
03-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Now if it was Caribou that was pursuing Kate Hudson.......

Agree - that would be more than a realistic scenario, although I'm in a Chrissy Teigen and Jessica Gomes phase right now.

warriorfan4life
03-19-2014, 07:34 PM
You guys are right, it would be nice to hear him say those words again, but under the previous administration they would not give him a reason to. He went to Sweet 16, followed by a Sweet 16, followed by an Elite 8. During that time period they did not give him a raise, bonus or even offer an extension.

Now, if the new pres and AD come in and give Buzz the warm and fuzzies - I would expect him to make such a statement.

I think that's fair for all parties. I believe that Buzz loves it here when treated fairly, but also has a long memory and remembers that the BOT hired Pilarz/LW in the first place. If God forbid another couple of unqualified leaders are hired, Buzz will look for greener pastures (the old fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me). If the BOT gets it right this time, then Buzz will gladly re-commit his future to Marquette for the long term.

DCwarrior
03-19-2014, 08:57 PM

It would be nice to know who those two people will be and when they'll be hired. Has there been a timetable discussed? Seems the BOT is moving quite slowly on this as I haven't heard about any interviews. If I had to bet, I'd say the new Pres and AD won't be walking through the MU door until the summer.

Worst-case scenario...What happens if Buzz leaves? Would we have to wait for the BOT to hire the new Pres, the new Pres to hire the AD, and then finally the AD to hire the new coach. That would likely leave us with an interim coach for a year, which would kill recruiting?

IrwinFletcher
03-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Kate's more of a Red Lobster kinda gal.

Ooohhh.. Thanks for the heads up....:p

TheSultan
03-20-2014, 07:41 AM
It would be nice to know who those two people will be and when they'll be hired. Has there been a timetable discussed? Seems the BOT is moving quite slowly on this as I haven't heard about any interviews. If I had to bet, I'd say the new Pres and AD won't be walking through the MU door until the summer.

Worst-case scenario...What happens if Buzz leaves? Would we have to wait for the BOT to hire the new Pres, the new Pres to hire the AD, and then finally the AD to hire the new coach. That would likely leave us with an interim coach for a year, which would kill recruiting?

According to MU's website, the President search looks to be entering the phase where finalists will be named soon. This is a very common timeline for such searches.

If Buzz leaves, Bill Cords would lead the search for a replacement ASAP. You can't have an interim basketball coach and everyone knows that. The reason you don't have to hire a President or Athletic Director immediately is because you have two competent individuals in place, and because their positions are more administrative in nature.

MUAlphaBangura
03-20-2014, 08:00 AM

Was at a dinner in NYC that was attended by Father Wilde. He told us that the search is moving quickly. That they have narrowed down their final candidates. He also strongly intimated that the new President would not be a Jesuit. It almost sounded like we will have an announcement in the next month or so.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-20-2014, 08:56 AM
I really hope they don't have any requirement that the new pres should be a Jesuit and are fully keeping an open mind regarding options.

TheSultan
03-20-2014, 09:01 AM
I really hope they don't have any requirement that the new pres should be a Jesuit and are fully keeping an open mind regarding options.

They wouldn't have floated a non-Jesuit as a possibility unless they were fully prepared to go down that road.

Gato78
03-20-2014, 09:04 AM
We will not have a Jesuit according to people I have spoken with from the Jesuit community.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
They wouldn't have floated a non-Jesuit as a possibility unless they were fully prepared to go down that road.

oh, had no idea there were names being floated out there or a comment that they were open to non-jes. Thanks for clarifying.

TheSultan
03-20-2014, 09:48 AM
oh, had no idea there were names being floated out there or a comment that they were open to non-jes. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah...Wild has commented on this before but...

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/next-marquette-president-may-not-be-lay-person-b99103491z1-224727492.html

And Gato is more plugged in than I am, so my guess is that since MU is about to enter the "finalist" phase, none of them are Jesuit.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Regardless, jesuit or nonjes, we need to get someone who understands the importance of fund raising and how to successfully do this along with maintaining the beliefe that the men's bball program is an integral part to the development of the entire institution as its success has a trickle down effect on other areas.

DCwarrior
03-21-2014, 04:57 PM

Well my worst-case scenario has come true. What the hell does MU do now. Do we have to wait for the Pres and AD to be hired? We need a new coach right away to bring stability and to try to keep their recruits.