PDA

View Full Version : Hunt blog

kneelb4zerg
03-18-2014, 04:20 PM
He's still trying to "track down" Buzz, and he's waffling on possible USF interest. No mention of Auburn. Keep up the good work, Mike!
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/250839481.html

warriorfan4life
03-18-2014, 04:23 PM
If the J/S keeps sending that clown as our beat writer, Marquette has to rethink granting the J/S a press pass to games. Any attention this clown provides is not good attention and certainly does not help fill any seats.

ziggysfryboy
03-18-2014, 04:23 PM
Buzz will send Mike a "Words with Friends" request when Buzz is ready to interact with him.

IWB
03-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Now that is awesome Ziggy!

Halo
03-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Is he writing this crap while he's taking a dump? Just posting his random thoughts? Strange.

MUMac
03-18-2014, 06:42 PM
mikey, now repeat after me ... "Google is my friend".

mufan2003
03-18-2014, 07:43 PM
If the J/S keeps sending that clown as our beat writer, Marquette has to rethink granting the J/S a press pass to games. Any attention this clown provides is not good attention and certainly does not help fill any seats.

Well said. Seriously, I have reached that point. He very rarely adds anything that is not already known. Do UW beat writers feel the need to address every time Bo Ryan's name is mentioned? The only time I remember Hunt doing a really good job was last April, opening day, when there was a long piece he wrote saying why Buzz has it so good at MU, etc. It was a very good piece highlighting how much MU spends on men's basketball, etc (rivaled only by Duke).

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-19-2014, 06:57 AM
I think this is one more illustration of the problems with a single media outlet. Yes, there are other ways to get your news, but when it comes to reading a newspaper in Milwaukee, JS is the only option. As much as I wish there was an alternative, there simply isn't enough of a market here (or in most cities) to support a second daily paper.

Honest question, who was the last new sports journalist there? Guys like Haudricourt, Gardner, Nickel, Hunt, and Potrykus have all been there since forever. This is simply a dying business. Relics like us still pay attention because we're used to a paper and because the JS coverage of Marquette gives us one more thing to bitch about, but JS is a dying business in a dying industry.

In 20 years, we probably won't have a JS beat writer to complain about, because there won't be a JS. Which sucks, because as bad as their Marquette coverage is, I like having a paper.

IrwinFletcher
03-19-2014, 07:31 AM
I too love the paper and reading it on a Saturday/Sunday morning with a cup of coffee is a great way to start the day.

It is interesting here in Chicago they don't even bother covering DePaul or the other smaller schools. Now Chicago is a Pro Sports town, but there are some days where it is a paragraph recap on the DePaul game and that is it. They don't even send a reporter out to the game.

Shows how far DePaul has fallen.

TulsaWarrior
03-19-2014, 08:18 AM
The change in my lifetime has been radical. I remember getting up before my parents to read the Milwaukee Sentinel sports page -- lots of column inches and photographs of the Marquette game. Before the Internet in my early broadcast days newspaper clipping from home and trips to the library in cities half way across the country were the only way to follow Marquette. HBO would do some basketball games back in the Hank Raymond days. ESPN carried tape delay broadcast and that was the only way I would get to see Marquette NCAA Tournament action when I lived in Virginia, Oklahoma or Texas.

Once the Internet started to emerge it was a new ball game. An unnamed beat reporter for a well know major newspaper( a good friend) was going crazy because information was showing up online and his boss was calling him on the carpet asking why he didn't have this first. He told me he was spending all his time trying to track down everything that was out there and we all know a lot of Internet stuff is off the wall. The Milwaukee JS doesn't subscribe to that level of accountability.

These days we can pretty much see most games on streaming video one way or another. Does anyone remember when a dear Marquette fan pushed the envelop and probably broke the law when he set up a camera in front of his TV in Wisconsin and streamed hard to get Marquette games. His condenser mic on the camera allowed us to hear his react as the game progressed. Thank you anonymous fan whoever you are. You served an international audience of Marquette junkies.

Back to Mr. Hunt -- I prefer those who have fire in their belly when it comes to their profession.

MU88
03-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Is Hunt still trying to track down Buzz? :)

IWB
03-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Likely, but don't blame Hunt for that.

MinnesotaJeb
03-20-2014, 04:23 PM
"Hennepin Street"? There's no Hennepin Street in Minneapolis.

IWB
03-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Isn't it a county?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-20-2014, 04:34 PM
He is busy googling Buzz Williams to Wake Forest for his next blog

AlexJesswein
03-20-2014, 04:43 PM
There's a Hennepin Ave which is one of the largest streets in Minneapolis

warriorfan4life
03-20-2014, 04:45 PM
There's a Hennepin Ave which is one of the largest streets in Minneapolis

It has some really cool bars, especially the Williams Peanut Bar.

MinnesotaJeb
03-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Isn't it a county?

Yes, for which Minneapolis is the county seat.

My point, however, is that if in a blog you want to show knowledge of the Minnesota situation by naming the main artery through downtown Minneapolis, you should probably know that it's "Hennepin Avenue," not "Hennepin Street."