PDA

View Full Version : WIAA Multiplier article

Hamostradamus
03-18-2014, 01:39 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/private-school-multiplier-considered-for-wiaa-tournaments-b99227638z1-250729251.html

"Basically we feel that there is a disproportionate number of nonpublic schools that compete at the state-tournament level based on the actual number of nonpublic schools," Siedenburg said.

MUMac
03-18-2014, 01:45 PM
There is a disproportionate number of times that Madison Memorial competed at the state-tournament. Something should have been done about that!!! They better do something now about the disproportionate number of times that Lodi and Germantown have been at state!!!

TheSultan
03-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I think this is a real good quote from Stewart:

"My impression of private-school success is that its comes from a small group of schools that win in a number of sports, schools such as Marquette, Catholic Memorial, Milwaukee Pius, Wisconsin Lutheran and University School. I also think the success of small private schools in the boys and girls basketball tournaments gives a false sense of how strong their athletic programs are overall."

Goose85
03-18-2014, 02:07 PM
I think this is a real good quote from Stewart:

"My impression of private-school success is that its comes from a small group of schools that win in a number of sports, schools such as Marquette, Catholic Memorial, Milwaukee Pius, Wisconsin Lutheran and University School. I also think the success of small private schools in the boys and girls basketball tournaments gives a false sense of how strong their athletic programs are overall."

Need to include all the public schools that have kids from outside the area too.

Funny how the one guy from the Six Rivers Conference seems to think that only private schools benefit, and that the public schools don't benefit from having open enrollment. Hmm, I can think of some public school basketball champions and very good non champion teams, that had starting players not from their district, but for some reason I guess that must not have helped them. Only helps private schools.

He even indicated that they have kids from outside the district, but because their district is small it basically doesn't count.

If you are worried about a team like Dominican winning back to back to back, then make a rule that if you win a state title, the next year you have to compete one level up. Why penalize all of the private schools in all of the sports because Dominican and Wisconsin Lutheran won this year.

MayorBeluga
03-18-2014, 02:12 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just make sure every small public school got a trophy?

Mark Miller
03-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Press row comment from WIAA State Tournament ... following Thursday's D5 and D4 semifinal games one reporter joked .... "Is there any way we can get more private schools into the tournament?" ... The jab was aimed at the poor showing of some of the public school teams in the event.

DO NOT CORRECT ONE PERCEIVED INJUSTICE WITH ANOTHER ... That's exactly what the multiplier would do.

TheSultan
03-18-2014, 04:26 PM
The ironic thing is that one of the teams from the Six Rivers Conference (Belmont) actually won a state championship in the last few years, and may have won a couple more if it weren't for Randolph.

mufansince72
03-18-2014, 06:48 PM
I know this is a different topic, but I think they should go back to 8 D1 teams at state.

MUMac
03-18-2014, 06:52 PM
I know this is a different topic, but I think they should go back to 8 D1 teams at state.

They will have to, after they move all those Private Schools to D1.

IWB
03-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Thing is, they go by numbers - so bouncing a few teams up will actually force that many D1 public schools down to D2

Goose85
03-19-2014, 09:31 AM

I agree, bigger schools = more fans. And better basketball too.

Worry about attendance, yet they want more small schools with few students / fans in the tourney.

IWB
03-19-2014, 09:41 AM
I have heard multiple people that are regular attendees at the State Tourney tell me that Day 1 of state was always the best day of the tourney. It was the 8 D1 games, the atmosphere was alive, it was packed and it was great hoops. Now day 1 of the tourney is the smaller schools, its a ghost town and not very lively.