PDA

View Full Version : Pearl to Auburn

Hamostradamus
03-18-2014, 10:30 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10626778/bruce-pearl-accepts-auburn-tigers-head-basketball-coaching-job

kneelb4zerg
03-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Will Mike Hunt be blogging about this?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Great hire. Sure he's had his run ins, but the guy flat out wins. Is Ben Howland the other available crown jewel at this point?

mufansince72
03-18-2014, 11:44 AM

How can that be? Mike Hunt may well be in the parking lot, but he generally is not in the vicinity of accurate when it comes to MU hoops:cool:

MayorBeluga
03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Sure he's had his run ins...

Does Auburn use a dedicated salary cap fund for football or will they have to share with men's basketball under Pearl?

MUMac
03-18-2014, 12:11 PM

No. He only knows how to google "Buzz Williams" to get his information.

Goose85
03-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Great hire. Sure he's had his run ins, but the guy flat out wins. Is Ben Howland the other available crown jewel at this point?

Great hire by Auburn.
I really think DePaul should have considered Pearl. Would have made for another interesting coach with a name in the Big East

Made the mistake of lying to the NCAA about violations and paid the penalty. He can coach and recruit, and better do it cleanly now.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Great hire by Auburn.
I really think DePaul should have considered Pearl. Would have made for another interesting coach with a name in the Big East

Made the mistake of lying to the NCAA about violations and paid the penalty. He can coach and recruit, and better do it cleanly now.

The mistake Pearl made was not getting out before he got caught. You can get away with it in the NCAA as long as you aren't there when the hammer falls. Worked for Calipari, Carroll, and Kelly. Pearl just needs to have his bags packed and be ready to jog off to the next job when the NCAA comes a-calling.

AbovetheRim
03-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Pearl had Aaron Craft over to the house for a BBQ. I'm sure Thad Motta did a heck of a lot more than that. Difference is, Pearl has enemies dating back to the 80's. Those grudges are still haunting him.

TheSultan
03-18-2014, 01:23 PM
What do Pearl's enemies dating back to the 80s have with lying to the NCAA?

MUMac
03-18-2014, 01:35 PM
The mistake Pearl made was not getting out before he got caught. You can get away with it in the NCAA as long as you aren't there when the hammer falls. Worked for Calipari, Carroll, and Kelly. Pearl just needs to have his bags packed and be ready to jog off to the next job when the NCAA comes a-calling.

What Pearl was "caught" for is lying. Having the player over to the bbq is not a major violation. In line with what happened at Marquette. His offense with the NCAA, was lying to them. That is what got him in deep doo doo.

Markedman
03-18-2014, 02:05 PM
And telling a recruit to lie about it.........

What Pearl was "caught" for is lying. Having the player over to the bbq is not a major violation. In line with what happened at Marquette. His offense with the NCAA, was lying to them. That is what got him in deep doo doo.

unclejohn
03-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Good luck to him, but the guy is a snake. To my surprise, one of the loudest and most Marquette-hating UWM fans posted some years ago that he was glad Pearl was gone, and that the inside of the program was like looking under a rock. Jeter had a good year with Pearl's players, and then the roof caved in. I suspect that there were some serious issues going on over there. What gets me about Tennessee was not what Pearl got caught doing. It was how he got caught doing it. It showed a definite pattern of behavior. He got canned for lying to the NCAA. This was shortly after he went through a messy divorce after his wife found out about the affair he was having by reading the credit card statement. Then there was the incident that got him exiled to Southern Indiana, when he apparently tried to talk a player into saying another team had committed recruiting violations, and secretly taped it. This is a guy who has made a career out of cutting corners and shading the truth. Auburn is going to have to pay the devil sometime.

Gato78
03-18-2014, 03:09 PM
His wife learned of the affair when the real estate tax bill for his mistresses' house came to Pearl's house.

ziggysfryboy
03-18-2014, 03:50 PM
His wife learned of the affair when the real estate tax bill for his mistresses' house came to Pearl's house.

that's freakin awesome....unless you are bruce pearl.

MayorBeluga
03-18-2014, 03:58 PM

Hmmm. OK, so the tax payment is a gift, which has to be combined with other gifts to the mistress, has to be below the annual exclusion to avoid any gift tax issues. Alternatively, it's compensation for services rendered (heh). If so, I presume she's subject to self-employment tax.

Either way, it's a curious case study on the tax consequences of the situation.

ziggysfryboy
03-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Hmmm. OK, so the tax payment is a gift, which has to be combined with other gifts to the mistress, has to be below the annual exclusion to avoid any gift tax issues. Alternatively, it's compensation for services rendered (heh). If so, I presume she's subject to self-employment tax.

Perhaps Bruce was considering half of the gifts as coming from Mrs Pearl on his tax return/annual gift limit???

MayorBeluga
03-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Perhaps Bruce was considering half of the gifts as coming from Mrs Pearl on his tax return/annual gift limit???

"Here honey, sign this tax form. Oh, it's nothing. No, I don't know why it says gift tax return. Just sign it."

AbovetheRim
03-18-2014, 05:03 PM
What do Pearl's enemies dating back to the 80s have with lying to the NCAA?

He was only talking to the NCAA because of enemies dating back to the 80's catching wind and paying handsomely for a photo. Fair enough?

MU/Panther
03-18-2014, 06:38 PM
War Eagle. New arena. Pressure will be on Alabama, since most want Grant gone.

MUfan12
03-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Wonder if BC is kicking themselves. Pearl is an alum, and would have been a trip in the ACC compared to K, Boeheim, and Roy.

IWB
03-18-2014, 08:31 PM
War Eagle.

By the way, having been to Auburn, I can tell you that when he yelled "War Eagle" to the crowd......he did it wrong.

Halo
03-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Fr. Leahy would never touch Pearl. He wouldn't want someone with that baggage.

Gato78
03-18-2014, 09:31 PM
The house was in his name so the gift would be free rent? Or does banging Bruce Pearl on the side make it income to the mistress?

TedBaxter
03-19-2014, 06:43 AM
that's freakin awesome....unless you are bruce pearl.

Goddam it Ziggy, I was taking a sip of something and then had to read this. Your getting my drycleaning bill.

Rajl
03-19-2014, 07:09 AM
yikes 2.2 Mill a year for him? that can't make AD's across the country happy.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-19-2014, 08:22 AM
I think that was to be expected Rajl, with TV revenues going up so drastically schools have more money to float around and 2.2 million a year isn't much to them if it improves their program they will earn that back in no time. The days of a basketball coach earning over $2 million and being one of the top paid are coming to a close, it's now becoming the going rate for any coach that has any type of quality experience...

russguss
03-19-2014, 11:32 AM
And I read somewhere that there is an Automatic ANNUAL raise of $100K. So that makes his salary 2.8 mil the last year of his contract...