PDA

View Full Version : Mystery at the charity stripe: What has happened to the free throw?

CaribouJim
03-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Great article on the Free Throw in yesterday's Trib. Many schools of thoughts.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-03-15/sports/ct-free-throws-spt-0316-20140316_1_charity-stripe-free-throw-march-madness

It has 2 tabs. I wonder if they have quantified what the women's NCAA and WNBA %'s are as well.

Some highlights:

Even with advanced video technology and the most sophisticated coaching, free-throw shooting averages have leveled off in NCAA men's basketball and in the NBA.

In college, free-throw rates have hovered between 67 and 70 percent since 1960, never beating a record of 70.1 set in 1979.

The pros have fared slightly better, usually ranging between 73 and 77 percent since 1955, with a record of 77.1 coming in 1974. The numbers bear out the fact that free-throw shooting has stagnated over time.

And with the NCAA's new hand-checking rules, free throws and fouls have increased, according to Kevin Pauga, Michigan State's director of basketball operations who uses NCAA data in compiling his thorough statistics blog KPI Competition Analytics.

Through March 9, teams had combined to commit 38.4 fouls per game, up from 35.4 a year ago, and free-throw attempts were up from 39.5 to 44.7 per game, Pauga reported. As for the percentage: 69.8 percent, up slightly from 69.3.

So as fans fill out brackets this week, they might want to double-check their team's free-throw stats, which could wreak more havoc than usual in March Madness.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-17-2014, 10:04 AM
When I was doing my bracket, I paid particular attention to free throw percentages and how good teams are at getting to the line. In a close game, a good free throw shooting team has a big edge. That's a big part of why I picked Providence over UNC.

CaribouJim
03-17-2014, 10:07 AM
...and in a sidebar article, some free throw shooter share their routine:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/ct-routines-free-throws-spt-0316-20140316,0,6374150.story

Free-throw shooters, both good and bad, have unique routines.

From the moment the whistle blows and they know they are about to step to the line, some players focus all their mental energy on placing themselves in the practice gym or backyard. They attempt to mimic the free-flowing, easygoing form and preparation they have there -- even if it requires blocking out the noise during a clutch situation in a hostile environment.

The Tribune asked one high school player, Lauren Webb of Vernon Hills, one college player, Northwestern's Drew Crawford, and one NBA player, Bulls guard Mike Dunleavy, how they go about shooting free throws. Regardless of level of play, some aspects of their routines were similar.

Dunleavy

Preparation: "You have to make sure you do the same thing every time, that's probably the key to consistency. Quite honestly, a lot of is repetition mentally to be able to go up there and knock shots down. That hasn't changed."

Execution: "I find that every free-throw line has a nail, a small little nail in the dead center. I find that spot, I split it down the middle with my body and I take, before I get the ball, take a couple of air practice shots, take one dribble. Then shoot."

Crawford

Preparation: "A lot of it is mental. You have to be able to have the physical, have the good touch, rotation on the ball. But at the same time, the mental aspect is really important, too — clearing your mind, relaxing and going through your motions."

Execution: "I take two dribbles, keep my eyes on the rim just so I kind of get a gauge for the distance. After the two dribbles, I bend my knees. That's when I lift the ball up and shoot it."

Webb

Preparation: "The first moment is the worst because it's when all the pressure hits you. When I go to the line, I take a deep breath. You don't get to do that right away. Pressure does one of two things, it makes it easier to remember you've shot it a thousand times or it makes it harder."

Execution: "My form has changed a lot. … I used to do a lot of ridiculous extra movement, but that makes it harder for the consistency factor. So (coach Paul Brettner) changed it to just three dribbles, deep breath. Shot."