PDA

View Full Version : Requiem for the Big East

CaribouJim
03-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Just finished watching - excellent documentary. Not a bash job at all - just telling it like it was.

MU grad and Boston journalist Charles Pierce was featured prominently and he might have said it best - "Capitalism destroyed the Big East". Ex- Commissioner Tragesse (sp?) said something to the effect that the " football money was too tempting to turn down".

Best part was of the show was the infancy of the league and just how quickly it grew into a monster, in a good way and how ESPN was such a huge component. My father was a Domer and more of a football fan, but went to grad school at Syracuse where his father graduated as well my mom so he was an SU fan for sure, but never was a great b-ball fan at all. I remember calling calling my parents at home in Rochester during the b-ball season in the early '80's and if I caught my father while he was watching a Syracuse Big East game he quasi blew me off and was quick with the small talk before handing the phone back to my mom. I was like wow, dad has turned into a b-ball fan in his '60's.

One thing with the show was that for the first hour and 15 minutes they focused on four teams - SU, SJU, 'Nova and Georgetown. We got 3 of them now. UCONN was barely mentioned. The last 45 minutes was kind of depressing as they detailed the arc of the decline of the conference. Have to keep in mind that MU got to be a BE member midway during the decline.

Great show. Highly recommend it.

mufan2003
03-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Agreed. Very good. Lou Carneseca said it well in saying that Syracuse leaving hurt, the others (Miami, VT, Pitt, West Virginia) were not that big of a deal. The irony of Gavit dying the day Pitt and Syracuse officially were leaving the Big East.