ziggysfryboy
03-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Neither did indiana. CBI vs crean?

MUfan12
03-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Thank God it's over.

unclejohn
03-16-2014, 07:52 PM
I am not all that surprised. There were only 20 spots available and a lot of teams looking for them.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Broeker tweeted that they won't be participating in any other tournaments... The season is over.

Nukem2
03-16-2014, 08:55 PM
What a disaster and absolute embarrassment of a season
Doc, I am surprised at your statement. Vander, Jameel, Duane, Steve injuries, Todd injuries have left this team shorthanded. 14 "good" losses of 15. Other than 3 games, this team was there until the end. Frustrating, yeah. Embarrassing, I don't think so.

MU/Panther
03-16-2014, 09:38 PM
No Indiana, MU, Boise State, UNLV, Ohio, Maryland, Richmond.

MU/Panther
03-16-2014, 09:44 PM
CBI Bracket
http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/cbi14_bracket.pdf

TheSultan
03-17-2014, 08:22 AM
CBI Bracket
http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/cbi14_bracket.pdf

Eh....we aren't missing much.

unclejohn
03-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Eh....we aren't missing much.

True. A fair number of schools apparently turned it down. On the Scoop board, someone in the Texas A+M board said that it was a close call there, and in the end, they decided to let the team keep playing. I expect hosting the NCAA tournament made it difficult this year, but I suspect that most years, it would just be more trouble than it is worth. These tournaments are not bad if your team never gets to go anywhere, or if you are rebuilding a program, but they are no great deal either. The CIT at least gives mid-majors a place to play among similar teams. I am not sure the CBI is going to last.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-17-2014, 11:19 AM
Didn't Pitt win the CBI a couple years ago? I wish we had played, though I understand why it may have been more work logistically than it seemed to be worth. I think it would have been a good experience for the young players, and selfishly would have liked to see the seniors get a shot at another run, even if it's not the run they planned.

mutpm
03-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I wish we could see another game, but I understand not doing the CBI. There is a chance to lose money given the pay to play requirement and the stigma of the tournament made it pretty easy to turn down.

MU/Panther
03-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Pitt beat Washington State in the three game series. Pitt's attendance was very poor.

MU/Panther
03-17-2014, 06:52 PM
I wish we could see another game, but I understand not doing the CBI. There is a chance to lose money given the pay to play requirement and the stigma of the tournament made it pretty easy to turn down.I've heared you need to draw 3,000 to just break even. CBI has not been on TV, other than 2 quarter-finals and finals on CBSSN starting this year.

JohnnyRev
03-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Unlike several posters above, I do not wish I could see any more games with this team. As the season went on, I found myself more and more frustrated in almost every game, even those we won, because of extended periods of inept and awful offense and defense both. A friend of mine went even further - although a fan, he said this year he was not able to watch a single MU entire game. He watched a lot of endings and parts of games, but he just couldn't stomach our horrible stretches in most of our games, even if we came close or tied at the end. I find myself relieved not to have to watch any more games of this sort this year. When I watch other Big East games (I watched a ton of them), I usually found the play enjoyable, the movement on offense and creating a lot of fun to see, and so unlike our plodding, often aimless offenses and defenses that constantly let hot three point shooters all alone while doubling down low. I will enjoy watching good post-season basketball that is well played, even though we're not involved. And all this even though I knew some of the players and loved most of them, and wanted so much for them to do well. That just made watching their games even more frustrating then if I didn't give a hoot.

Phantom Warrior
03-18-2014, 08:19 AM
JR,

You are not/were not alone. Definitely no eye-candy this year - more like eye-brussel sprouts.

My fear is that next year won't be any better and could be worse.

Nukem2
03-18-2014, 09:18 AM
JR,

You are not/were not alone. Definitely no eye-candy this year - more like eye-brussel sprouts.

My fear is that next year won't be any better and could be worse.Next year, the major challenge flips from the backcourt to the frontcourt. Though, there will be a lot of inexperience in the backcourt behind Todd and Derrick.

Phantom Warrior
03-18-2014, 10:14 AM
If Derrick remains our starter and gets 20+pg, let alone 30+ mpg, then our primary challenge next year will still be the backcourt.

As for Todd, as I've said before, I would not be at all surprised if he looks to play for pay next year. If that happens, I would not be upset at all. In some ways, I would actually view that as addition by subtraction.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
If Derrick remains our starter and gets 20+pg, let alone 30+ mpg, then our primary challenge next year will still be the backcourt.

As for Todd, as I've said before, I would not be at all surprised if he looks to play for pay next year. If that happens, I would not be upset at all. In some ways, I would actually view that as addition by subtraction.

I agree with you on the DW comment and genuinely hope Buzz does as well and finds/develops a player who can take significant mins from DW.

Certainly entitled to your opinion but I'll disagree with you on this bolded statement. Yes, I know he's been given a good amount of chances and has failed a number of times to earn Buzz's trust both on and off the court but it seemed as though the final 7 games he really turned a corner. While I don't expect him to ever become the model of consistency on the court, I do expect him to continue providing us with solid offensive and defensive contributions and be that go to guy when we need a clutch bucket (which he became at the end of the season). I think we are destined for a similar year if Todd doesnt return - I believe he is that important to next year's team.

Why do you think it's addition by subtraction - do you have a good amount of faith in the young pups to produce at a high level or is it for other reasons?

MU_Iceman
03-18-2014, 10:40 AM

It's pretty obvious Phantom you are not at all a fan of Todd. Did he piss in your cheerios or something?? Think of how poorly this team would have finished without him!

MU_Iceman
03-18-2014, 10:42 AM
I agree with you on the DW comment and genuinely hope Buzz does as well and finds/develops a player who can take significant mins from DW.

Certainly entitled to your opinion but I'll disagree with you on this bolded statement. Yes, I know he's been given a good amount of chances and has failed a number of times to earn Buzz's trust both on and off the court but it seemed as though the final 7 games he really turned a corner. While I don't expect him to ever become the model of consistency on the court, I do expect him to continue providing us with solid offensive and defensive contributions and be that go to guy when we need a clutch bucket (which he became at the end of the season). I think we are destined for a similar year if Todd doesnt return - I believe he is that important to next year's team.

Why do you think it's addition by subtraction - do you have a good amount of faith in the young pups to produce at a high level or is it for other reasons?

I agree windy...this is Todd's team next year. They will go as far as he will take them. HE unlike others this year has the ability to take over games.

warriorfan4life
03-18-2014, 10:49 AM
I agree windy...this is Todd's team next year. They will go as far as he will take them. HE unlike others this year has the ability to take over games.

Do not discount a sophomore Deonte Burton. He is our next hybrid forward star, and I think next year is a major step in that regard.

MUfan12
03-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Do not discount a sophomore Deonte Burton. He is our next hybrid forward star, and I think next year is a major step in that regard.

I really think it all starts with the PG. Deonte had to manufacture a lot of his buckets this year. If they can actually run a bit, and he gets the ball quickly and in position to score, he could do some major damage.

And I don't mean that to pile on Derrick. But, he takes that extra second to get the ball away, and the defense has a chance to recover.

warriorfan4life
03-18-2014, 11:13 AM
I really think it all starts with the PG. Deonte had to manufacture a lot of his buckets this year. If they can actually run a bit, and he gets the ball quickly and in position to score, he could do some major damage.

And I don't mean that to pile on Derrick. But, he takes that extra second to get the ball away, and the defense has a chance to recover.

I agree that Burton would be a monster in transition, but he already put up 7 points per game in just 13 minutes a night, and I figure that he plays a minimum of 25 minutes per game next year. He just needs to rebound it like Lazar, Jimmy, and Jae on the defensive end.

TheSultan
03-18-2014, 11:22 AM
I agree that Burton would be a monster in transition, but he already put up 7 points per game in just 13 minutes a night, and I figure that he plays a minimum of 25 minutes per game next year. He just needs to rebound it like Lazar, Jimmy, and Jae on the defensive end.

And defend better. And not settle for bad shots when he gets tired...

Nukem2
03-18-2014, 12:37 PM
And defend better. And not settle for bad shots when he gets tired...Yeah, his conditioning does look questionable.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-18-2014, 12:51 PM
I think next year could be a year for a lot of four-guard sets. I really think that could help maximize talent and minimize the negatives to Derrick's offensive game.