PDA

View Full Version : A good read for other old-timers on J-Ville '70 team

CaribouJim
03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Kind of long, but really, really interesting:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7744074/how-jacksonville-earned-credit-card-paul-hemphill

Grantland is a good site BTW.

TulsaWarrior
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Back in the late 60s and early 70s there were a number of upstart schools that almost broke through -- Tarkanian with Long Beach State before he took his act to UNLV, Oral Robert University with a lot of Memphis are talent and SW Louisiana State the Ragin' Cajuns. FYI, Marquette was considered one of those outlaw type programs that made it to the promised land taking on the Kentucky establishment and beating North Carolina for an NCAA Title.

ge1974
03-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the article, Caribou. Jacksonville was an "outlaw" team with a lot of characters. I really thought St. Bonaventure would have won it all that year had Bob Lanier not been hurt in their regional final win over Villanova. 1970 was a great year for college basketball with so many gunslingers in Pistol Pete, Dan Issel and Calvin Murphy. Lots of characters like Al McGuire, etc just made college basketball the most interesting game around back then.

CaribouJim
03-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the article, Caribou. Jacksonville was an "outlaw" team with a lot of characters. I really thought St. Bonaventure would have won it all that year had Bob Lanier not been hurt in their regional final win over Villanova. 1970 was a great year for college basketball with so many gunslingers in Pistol Pete, Dan Issel and Calvin Murphy. Lots of characters like Al McGuire, etc just made college basketball the most interesting game around back then.

Western Kentucky was a cool team as well. Being from Western NY and my high school coach an ex-Bonnie player I was rooting for the Indians (as they were known back then). If Big Bob hadn't been injured that would have been something. Do you remember the Bonnies Matt Gant (sp?)? Unreal jumper. Very entertaining FF. It's good to see the Bonnies back in the groove.

TulsaWarrior
03-29-2012, 05:39 PM
St. Bonaventure would have won the title that year with a healthy Bob Lanier. I don't think it would have been close. I wonder about Marquette this season if Otule and Gardner were 100 %?